|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Halls' maid?
2. What is Daisy waiting on the doorstep for in Chapter XVI?
3. On what condition do the Halls say they will raise Ruth's daughters?
4. What does Dinah see which makes her investigate what is going on in Chapter XXI?
5. What fault does Dr. Hall find in Harry's medical treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth tease Daisy about in Chapter XVI? How does Daisy respond?
2. How do Dr. Hall, Mrs. Hall, and the maid Betty each view the arrival of Harry and Ruth's daughter Daisy?
3. What does Dr. Hall request of Tom Develin in Chapter XXXVII? Why does Tom agree to his request?
4. Why do the Halls decide to send Ruth some money in Chapter XXXV?
5. Describe Mrs. Jiff.
6. What complaints do Mrs. Hall and Dr. Hall have about Ruth in Chapter XVIII?
7. In Chapter V, why does Ruth decide not to tell Harry about his mother's treatment toward her?
8. What does Dr. Hall do in Chapter XV to meddle in Ruth and Harry's lives?
9. What do Ruth and Daisy like to do together in Chapter XI?
10. What is Ruth anxious about in Chapter I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ruth becomes a mother, everything changes for her. Describe Ruth's experiences as a mother. Is she a good mother? Why or why not? How does the death from Daisy and separation from Katy affect her? How does Ruth as a mother compare to Mrs. Hall as a mother?
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the end of the novel "Ruth Hall"? Is everything resolved? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? What happens to the principle characters? Is the conclusion a happy one?
Essay Topic 3
What struggles does Ruth face throughout the novel? What causes these struggles? How does she overcome them? How are her struggles associated with the setting of the novel? How are they associated with her background and her family?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)