|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ruth holding as she cries over Daisy in Chapter XXIV?
2. Which religious order do the Halls follow?
3. What do Mr. Ellet and Dr. Hall each claim about each other in Chapter XXXIII?
4. What month is it in Chapter XXVI when Ruth and her family linger at the beach resort?
5. What does the Halls' intrusion into his marriage inspire Harry to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Jiff.
2. Why does Mrs. Hall go to Ruth's house in Chapter XIII?
3. What does Dr. Hall request of Tom Develin in Chapter XXXVII? Why does Tom agree to his request?
4. What do the Halls and Ruth's father quarrel over in Chapter XXXIII?
5. What is Mary Herbert's response when her husband laments leaving Ruth destitute by refusing her a job?
6. How does Dr. Hall react to being called to check on Daisy in the night in Chapter XX?
7. Who does Ruth find interesting at Beach Cliff and why?
8. What action do Dr. and Mrs. Hall take to be closer to their son in Chapter XI?
9. What does Dr. Hall do in Chapter XV to meddle in Ruth and Harry's lives?
10. What does Dinah tell Harry when she sees Daisy in Chapter XXI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What struggles does Ruth face throughout the novel? What causes these struggles? How does she overcome them? How are her struggles associated with the setting of the novel? How are they associated with her background and her family?
Essay Topic 2
After living in poverty, Ruth is able to gain economic independence. How is she able to do this? How does this financial freedom change her life? Who helped her achieve economic independence? What does it mean for her family?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. What are their defining character traits? What are their roles in the story? Describe their relationships with the protagonist, Ruth.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)