|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Jiff spend most of her time?
2. What does Dr. Hall send to treat Daisy with in Chapter XX?
3. What figure does Mrs. Hall take objection to her son having a statue of?
4. What is Daisy waiting on the doorstep for in Chapter XVI?
5. When Dinah sees Daisy, what does she think about Daisy's condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ruth anxious about in Chapter I?
2. In Chapter III, what opinions does Mrs. Hall have of Ruth and her family? How does she treat Ruth?
3. When Hyacinth sees Ruth mourning in Chapter XXIX, how does he react?
4. What do we learn about Dr. and Mrs. Hall in Chapter VI?
5. What complaints do Mrs. Hall and Dr. Hall have about Ruth in Chapter XVIII?
6. What action do Dr. and Mrs. Hall take to be closer to their son in Chapter XI?
7. In Chapter XXIII, what does Mrs. Jones observe about Ruth to Dr. and Mrs. Hall? What do the Halls say in response?
8. Where is Ruth in Chapter XXIV? What does she hold in her hand?
9. Why is Hyacinth relieved that Ruth has married Harry?
10. In Chapter V, why does Ruth decide not to tell Harry about his mother's treatment toward her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ruth becomes a mother, everything changes for her. Describe Ruth's experiences as a mother. Is she a good mother? Why or why not? How does the death from Daisy and separation from Katy affect her? How does Ruth as a mother compare to Mrs. Hall as a mother?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Ruth Hall". Is family important to Ruth? How does her family treat her? Why doesn't Ruth's family help her in her time of need? Is she surprised by this?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. What are their defining character traits? What are their roles in the story? Describe their relationships with the protagonist, Ruth.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)