|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Dr. Hall's personality?
2. What is Biddy's surname?
3. What is the name of the Halls' maid?
4. When does Daisy die?
5. How long have Dr. and Mrs. Hall been married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary Herbert's response when her husband laments leaving Ruth destitute by refusing her a job?
2. In Chapter III, what opinions does Mrs. Hall have of Ruth and her family? How does she treat Ruth?
3. When Hyacinth sees Ruth mourning in Chapter XXIX, how does he react?
4. How does Harry react to his parents' interference in his married life?
5. What does Ruth observe about hotel life at Beach Cliff in Chapter XXV?
6. What action do Dr. and Mrs. Hall take to be closer to their son in Chapter XI?
7. What does Ruth tease Daisy about in Chapter XVI? How does Daisy respond?
8. In Chapter XXIII, what does Mrs. Jones observe about Ruth to Dr. and Mrs. Hall? What do the Halls say in response?
9. What do we learn about Dr. and Mrs. Hall in Chapter VI?
10. What does Dr. Hall request of Tom Develin in Chapter XXXVII? Why does Tom agree to his request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Ruth Hall". Is family important to Ruth? How does her family treat her? Why doesn't Ruth's family help her in her time of need? Is she surprised by this?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Ruth's character growth throughout the novel. How does she compare at the beginning of the novel and the end of the novel? What contributed to her growth as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. What are their defining character traits? What are their roles in the story? Describe their relationships with the protagonist, Ruth.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)