|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Hall blame for Daisy's death?
2. What is Mrs. Leon moved to tears with regret for?
3. Who is Mrs. Jiff?
4. Why isn't Ruth sad to be leaving home in Chapter I?
5. What season is it in Chapter XIX?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ruth and Daisy like to do together in Chapter XI?
2. On what condition do the Halls agree to take Katy and Nettie in?
3. Why is Hyacinth relieved that Ruth has married Harry?
4. What do the Halls and Ruth's father quarrel over in Chapter XXXIII?
5. In Chapter III, what opinions does Mrs. Hall have of Ruth and her family? How does she treat Ruth?
6. What is the only fault that Mrs. Hall finds when snooping around Ruth's house in Chapter XIV?
7. How does Dr. Hall react to being called to check on Daisy in the night in Chapter XX?
8. In Chapter XXII, how does Dr. Hall know Daisy is near death when he sees he? What does he do to try and save her?
9. In Chapter V, why does Ruth decide not to tell Harry about his mother's treatment toward her?
10. How does Harry react to his parents' interference in his married life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What struggles does Ruth face throughout the novel? What causes these struggles? How does she overcome them? How are her struggles associated with the setting of the novel? How are they associated with her background and her family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in "Ruth Hall". Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations causes these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
What happens at the end of the novel "Ruth Hall"? Is everything resolved? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? What happens to the principle characters? Is the conclusion a happy one?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)