|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Waters fancy herself as?
(a) A zoologist.
(b) A psychic.
(c) An artist.
(d) A physician.
2. What is Katy being forced to do by the Halls in Chapter LXIII?
(a) Sit still in silence.
(b) Eat food she dislikes.
(d) Ignore her mother's letters.
3. What does Mr. Walter offer Ruth to write for him?
(a) Three times the salary of Dr. Hall.
(b) A small fortune.
(c) More than her current two salaries.
(d) A place to live and free meals.
4. In Chapter XLV, what does Ruth notice about the people in her neighborhood?
(a) They are very friendly and caring.
(b) They are hardworking.
(c) They are rude and inhospitable.
(d) They are all just barely getting by.
5. Who is Mr. Ellet having dinner with in Chapter LXI?
(a) A gentleman.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A clergyman.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Tibbetts do when he finds out Ruth is leaving The Pilgrim?
2. Where does Ruth find a job in Chapter LXII?
3. What does Mr. Walter tell Ruth in a letter in Chapter LXXX?
4. When does Ruth come to the Millets' kitchen?
5. Who is Mrs. Waters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is John Walter and what does he offer Ruth in Chapter LXVIII?
2. What does Mrs. Millet allow Ruth to do every week at her home?
3. Who does Ruth find has died at the hospital for the insane?
4. Who is Mrs. Waters and what image does she have of herself?
5. What does Ruth travel to City Hall to do in Chapter LI?
6. Who does Chapter LXXIV focus on?
7. What happens when two of Ruth's friends come to visit in Chapter XLI?
8. What does Ruth worry about despite having found a newspaper to publish her work in Chapter LXII?
9. What are the contents of the two fan letters Ruth reads in Chapter LXV?
10. Who does Katy meet after leaving her grandfather's home in Chapter XLV?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)