|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a man suggest to Ruth in a fan letter in Chapter LXV?
(a) That she give up her day job.
(b) That she give a public speech.
(c) That she publish a book.
(d) That she use her real name.
2. Who are Betty and Gatty in Chapter XLII?
(a) Ruth's friends.
(b) Ruth's aunts.
(c) The women who run the boarding house.
(d) Two of the Millets' maids.
3. What does Mrs. Waters try to sell Ruth for three shillings?
(a) A used pair of shoes.
(b) A farmer's almanac.
(c) A basket.
(d) Homemade medicine.
4. How does Ruth travel from the city to the Halls in order to see Katy in Chapter LXIII?
(a) She walks.
(b) She takes the train.
(c) She rides a bicycle.
(d) She jumps on the back of a carriage.
5. What does Hyacinth instruct Mr. Gates not to do in a letter?
(a) Send his work to Floy.
(b) Seek out Floy.
(c) Publish work by Floy.
(d) Fall in love with Floy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Walter tell Ruth in a letter in Chapter LXXX?
2. To whom does Hyacinth reveal Floy is actually his sister Ruth in Chapter LXXIX?
3. Where does Ruth go to apply for the teaching job in Chapter LI?
4. What does Mr. Walter chastise Mr. Lescom for in a letter in Chapter LXXI?
5. Where do Ruth's two friends who come to visit her go to stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Chapter LXXIV focus on?
2. What is life like for Katy living with her grandparents?
3. What is Mr. Walter's reaction when he visits Ruth for the first time?
4. What does Mrs. Millet allow Ruth to do every week at her home?
5. What does Ruth travel to City Hall to do in Chapter LI?
6. What are the contents of the two fan letters Ruth reads in Chapter LXV?
7. In Chapter LIII when Mrs. Skiddy finds her husband has not returned home from work, where does she find him?
8. What idea does Ruth come up with to earn a living in Chapter LVI? Who does she turn to for help?
9. What success does Ruth find in Chapter LXIV? Who is unhappy with her success?
10. What is the dinner at Mr. Ellet's home contrasted with in Chapter LXI?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)