|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chore does Mrs. Waters assign to Ruth to do every week?
(a) Inspect for rats.
(b) Wash the stairs.
(c) Sort the laundry.
(d) Wash the windows.
2. In Chapter XLV, what does Ruth notice about the people in her neighborhood?
(a) They are very friendly and caring.
(b) They are all just barely getting by.
(c) They are hardworking.
(d) They are rude and inhospitable.
3. Why does Ruth go to the Millets' kitchen?
(a) To do laundry.
(b) To eat a bun.
(c) To make some tea.
(d) To borrow some sugar.
4. Who is Horace Gates?
(a) A relative of the Halls.
(b) One of Hyacinth's employees.
(c) A man in love with Ruth.
(d) An aspiring writer.
5. What does Hyacinth instruct Mr. Gates not to do in a letter?
(a) Fall in love with Floy.
(b) Seek out Floy.
(c) Publish work by Floy.
(d) Send his work to Floy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ruth's new room uncomfortable in Chapter LV?
2. What does a man ask Ruth to pay for in a letter in Chapter LXXII?
3. Why does Mrs. Hall cut off Katy's curls?
4. What does Gatty comment about white people in Chapter XLII?
5. Who does Ruth find out recently died in Chapter LIV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth worry about despite having found a newspaper to publish her work in Chapter LXII?
2. What does Ruth travel to City Hall to do in Chapter LI?
3. Who is Mrs. Waters and what image does she have of herself?
4. Who is John Walter and what does he offer Ruth in Chapter LXVIII?
5. What idea does Ruth come up with to earn a living in Chapter LVI? Who does she turn to for help?
6. What does Mrs. Millet have a conversation about with her husband in Chapter XLIV?
7. Who does Katy meet after leaving her grandfather's home in Chapter XLV?
8. What two offers does Ruth receive in Chapter LXXII?
9. What does Mr. Walter tell Mr. Lewis about Ruth in Chapter LXXIX?
10. What sends a shudder down Ruth's spine in Chapter LIV?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)