|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Walter's opinion of Ruth as a writer?
(a) Her writing has its flaws, but she has interesting ideas.
(b) She is an acquired taste.
(c) Her writing style is unique.
(d) She is a genius.
2. What idea does Ruth come up with to earn a living in Chapter XLVIII?
(a) Open her own school.
(b) Host a gambling night.
(c) Make hats.
3. What is Katy being forced to do by the Halls in Chapter LXIII?
(a) Eat food she dislikes.
(c) Sit still in silence.
(d) Ignore her mother's letters.
4. What does Mr. Walter chastise Mr. Lescom for in a letter in Chapter LXXI?
(a) Claiming a hold over Ruth.
(b) Trying to lure Ruth.
(c) Publishing Ruth's work without consent.
(d) Being rude to Ruth.
5. What publication is John Walter the editor for?
(a) City Life.
(b) The Daily Post.
(c) The Household Messenger.
(d) The Farmer's News Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Ruth and her daughters surprised by a deliver of in Chapter XVIII?
2. Where does Ruth go to apply for the teaching job in Chapter LI?
3. What accomplishment does Ruth achieve in Chapter LXXVII?
4. What does Mr. Walter offer Ruth to write for him?
5. What does Mr. Tibbetts do when he finds out Ruth is leaving The Pilgrim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Walter tell Mr. Lewis about Ruth in Chapter LXXIX?
2. What two offers does Ruth receive in Chapter LXXII?
3. What is Mr. Walter's reaction when he visits Ruth for the first time?
4. Why does the boarding house housemaid quit her job in Chapter XLVII?
5. How does Mr. Walter advise Ruth in Chapter LXXI?
6. What idea does Ruth come up with to earn a living in Chapter LVI? Who does she turn to for help?
7. Who is John Walter and what does he offer Ruth in Chapter LXVIII?
8. What surprise do Ruth and her daughters receive in Chapter XLIII?
9. What does Mrs. Millet allow Ruth to do every week at her home?
10. Who does Chapter LXXIV focus on?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)