|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which religious order do the Halls follow?
2. How does Mrs. Hall view her first born grandchild?
(a) As a noisy and smelly nuisance.
(b) As a gift from God.
(c) As the reincarnation of her son.
(d) As a barrier between she and her son.
3. What season is it in Chapter XIX?
4. What does Ruth feel mocks her when her husband is buried?
(a) Mrs. Hall's inappropriate attire.
(b) His will.
(c) The natural beauty which surrounds the cemetery.
(d) The bright sunny weather.
5. What figure does Mrs. Hall take objection to her son having a statue of?
(a) The goddess Venus.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hall snoop around Ruth's house looking for in Chapter XIII?
2. What does Biddy hide her face with as she runs from the room in Chapter XXXII?
3. What is Ruth's surname?
4. What does Mrs. Hall call Ruth to belittle her in Chapter III?
5. Where does Mrs. Jiff spend most of her time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Ruth find interesting at Beach Cliff and why?
2. What do we learn about Dr. and Mrs. Hall in Chapter VI?
3. What action do Dr. and Mrs. Hall take to be closer to their son in Chapter XI?
4. Why does Mrs. Hall go to Ruth's house in Chapter XIII?
5. In Chapter XXII, how does Dr. Hall know Daisy is near death when he sees he? What does he do to try and save her?
6. What does Dinah tell Harry when she sees Daisy in Chapter XXI?
7. What does Ruth observe about hotel life at Beach Cliff in Chapter XXV?
8. Who is Biddy? How does she show her devotion to Ruth in Chapter XXXI?
9. Why do the Halls decide to send Ruth some money in Chapter XXXV?
10. Why is Hyacinth relieved that Ruth has married Harry?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)