|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't Ruth sad to be leaving home in Chapter I?
(a) Her home was very boring.
(b) She had an unhappy childhood.
(c) She is excited about her new home.
(d) She knows she will return soon.
2. Where does Mrs. Jiff spend most of her time?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) At the park.
(c) In the laundry room.
(d) In the school room.
3. What do Ruth and Daisy have a shared love for?
4. Who arrives at Ruth's house to try and help Daisy in Chapter XXII?
(a) The neighbor.
(b) Another doctor.
(c) Harry's colleague.
(d) Mrs. Hall.
5. Who is Dr. and Mrs. Hall's neighbor?
(a) Mrs. Janis.
(b) Mrs. Jacobs.
(c) Mrs. Jamison.
(d) Mrs. Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what condition do the Halls say they will raise Ruth's daughters?
2. How does Biddy show devotion to Ruth and her family in Chapter XXXII?
3. What does Ruth tease Daisy about when she is on the doorstep in Chapter XVI?
4. Who is Miss Skinlin?
5. Where is Ruth staying with her family in Chapter XXIV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we learn about Dr. and Mrs. Hall in Chapter VI?
2. What does Ruth tease Daisy about in Chapter XVI? How does Daisy respond?
3. Why does Mrs. Hall go to Ruth's house in Chapter XIII?
4. What does Katy remind Ruth of in Chapter XXIV?
5. Who does Ruth find interesting at Beach Cliff and why?
6. In Chapter XXII, how does Dr. Hall know Daisy is near death when he sees he? What does he do to try and save her?
7. What do Ruth and Daisy like to do together in Chapter XI?
8. When Hyacinth sees Ruth mourning in Chapter XXIX, how does he react?
9. What complaints do Mrs. Hall and Dr. Hall have about Ruth in Chapter XVIII?
10. Describe Mrs. Jiff.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)