|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hall call Ruth to belittle her in Chapter III?
(a) A puny runt.
(b) A country bumpkin.
(c) A frivolous doll.
(d) An airheaded ninny.
2. What does Harry tell Daisy to stay away from as he is leaving in Chapter XIX?
(a) The door.
(b) The oven.
(c) The cookie jar.
(d) The fire.
3. What sound can Daisy hear coming from the barn in Chapter XIX?
(a) Frightening squeals.
(c) Tinkling bells.
4. What insect does Daisy amuse herself with in Chapter XVI?
(a) A ladybug.
(b) A butterfly.
(c) A caterpillar.
(d) A firefly.
5. Why do the Halls agree to give Ruth some money in Chapter XXXV?
(a) So that she will leave them alone for good.
(b) Because she begs them for some.
(c) So that they will look good at church.
(d) Because they believe it is what their son would have wanted.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Hall view her first born grandchild?
2. What is the one thing that the Halls agree on completely?
3. What does Dr. Hall request for Tom Develin to send him?
4. What establishment do the Herberts own?
5. What is ailing Ruth in Chapter XXXIV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Halls and Ruth's father quarrel over in Chapter XXXIII?
2. How does Dr. Hall react to being called to check on Daisy in the night in Chapter XX?
3. What does Katy remind Ruth of in Chapter XXIV?
4. Who is Biddy? How does she show her devotion to Ruth in Chapter XXXI?
5. What is Mary Herbert's response when her husband laments leaving Ruth destitute by refusing her a job?
6. What do Ruth and Daisy like to do together in Chapter XI?
7. In Chapter V, why does Ruth decide not to tell Harry about his mother's treatment toward her?
8. What complaints do Mrs. Hall and Dr. Hall have about Ruth in Chapter XVIII?
9. Describe Mrs. Jiff.
10. How does Harry react to his parents' interference in his married life?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)