|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ruth's relationship with Mrs. Millet?
(a) They are pen pals.
(b) They are old friends.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They go to the same church.
2. What does a man ask Ruth to pay for in a letter in Chapter LXXII?
(a) His new house.
(b) His child's clothes and food.
(c) His trip to New York.
(d) His college tuition.
3. How much time passes before Mrs. Skiddy returns to her family after abandoning them?
(a) Two months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Three months.
4. In Chapter LXII, what does Ruth worry will happen before she gets her first pay?
(a) Nettie will starve to death.
(b) The Halls will try to take Nettie.
(c) She will lose her job.
(d) She will pass out.
5. What does Mr. Walter tell Ruth in a letter in Chapter LXXX?
(a) That her contract is null and void.
(b) That she is making a small fortune.
(c) That she deserves a raise.
(d) That she is the most successful female author in America.
6. Where does Ruth find a second writing job in Chapter LXIV?
(a) The Pilgrim.
(b) The Free Press.
(c) The Times.
(d) The Chronicle.
7. Why does Mrs. Hall cut off Katy's curls?
(a) They remind Mrs. Hall of Ruth.
(b) Katy misbehaves.
(c) She is too old for such tight curls.
(d) Mrs. Hall wants to anger Ruth.
8. What does Mrs. Waters try to sell Ruth for three shillings?
(a) A used pair of shoes.
(b) A basket.
(c) A farmer's almanac.
(d) Homemade medicine.
9. What do Mrs. Millet and her daughter badger Ruth into selling to them?
(a) A ring.
(b) A handpainted picture.
(c) A locket.
(d) A coral pin.
10. What are Ruth and her daughters surprised by a deliver of in Chapter XVIII?
(a) A puppy.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) New material for dresses.
(d) Flowers and apples.
11. What does Mr. Tibbetts do when he finds out Ruth is leaving The Pilgrim?
(a) He threatens Ruth.
(b) He makes a public announcement in the paper.
(c) He sends an angry letter to his colleague.
(d) He celebrates.
12. What is Ruth's pen name?
13. Who is Horace Gates?
(a) A man in love with Ruth.
(b) A relative of the Halls.
(c) An aspiring writer.
(d) One of Hyacinth's employees.
14. How does Mr. Gates guess Hyacinth feels about Ruth?
15. What inspires Ruth to consider writing for a living?
(a) Reading an interesting article in the paper.
(b) A compliment concerning her writing skills from an acquaintance.
(c) Reading a novel.
(d) Seeing a paperboy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chore does Mrs. Waters assign to Ruth to do every week?
2. Who is Hyacinth anxious about keeping Floy's true identity from?
3. Where does Horace Gates work?
4. What idea does Ruth come up with to earn a living in Chapter XLVIII?
5. What does Hyacinth instruct Mr. Gates not to do in a letter?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)