|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Tibbetts do when he finds out Ruth is leaving The Pilgrim?
(a) He celebrates.
(b) He makes a public announcement in the paper.
(c) He threatens Ruth.
(d) He sends an angry letter to his colleague.
2. At what establishment does Katy say she would like to live in Chapter LIV?
(a) A hospital for the insane.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A boarding school.
(d) A nunnery.
3. What happens when Mr. Walter meets Ruth at her home for the first time?
(a) He is put-off by her strong personality.
(b) He becomes ill from her cooking.
(c) He is charmed by her.
(d) He is moved to tears.
4. How much time passes before Mrs. Skiddy returns to her family after abandoning them?
(a) One week.
(b) Two months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three weeks.
5. What does Mr. Walter offer Ruth to write for him?
(a) A small fortune.
(b) A place to live and free meals.
(c) Three times the salary of Dr. Hall.
(d) More than her current two salaries.
6. How does Mr. Gates guess Hyacinth feels about Ruth?
7. Who is Horace Gates?
(a) A relative of the Halls.
(b) One of Hyacinth's employees.
(c) An aspiring writer.
(d) A man in love with Ruth.
8. Where does Ruth go to apply for the teaching job in Chapter LI?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) The school.
(c) City Hall.
(d) The neighboring town.
9. What do Ruth's friends laugh about spending $50 on in Chapter XLI?
(a) A yard of ribbon.
(b) A dress collar.
(c) A hankerchief.
(d) A small trinket.
10. Where does Mrs. Skiddy find her husband one day after he doesn't return from work?
(a) In a bar.
(b) On the roof of city hall.
(c) At the shipyard.
(d) Reading a book on a field.
11. Why does Ruth go to the Millets' kitchen?
(a) To borrow some sugar.
(b) To make some tea.
(c) To do laundry.
(d) To eat a bun.
12. How does Ruth travel from the city to the Halls in order to see Katy in Chapter LXIII?
(a) She takes the train.
(b) She rides a bicycle.
(c) She jumps on the back of a carriage.
(d) She walks.
13. Why does Mrs. Hall cut off Katy's curls?
(a) Katy misbehaves.
(b) Mrs. Hall wants to anger Ruth.
(c) She is too old for such tight curls.
(d) They remind Mrs. Hall of Ruth.
14. Why does the boarding house housemaid decide to quit?
(a) She doesn't want to take care of the landlord's baby anymore.
(b) She is getting too old to work.
(c) She is getting married.
(d) She is moving to a different city.
15. What do Mrs. Millet and her daughter badger Ruth into selling to them?
(a) A ring.
(b) A locket.
(c) A coral pin.
(d) A handpainted picture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Horace Gates work?
2. In Chapter XLV, what does Ruth notice about the people in her neighborhood?
3. How much does a publishing house offer Ruth for the copyright to her articles?
4. What does Mrs. Hall convince Ruth to allow in Chapter LVII?
5. What does Mr. Walter say Ruth shouldn't feel toward Mr. Lescom?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)