|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ruth's friends laugh about spending $50 on in Chapter XLI?
(a) A dress collar.
(b) A small trinket.
(c) A yard of ribbon.
(d) A hankerchief.
2. What kind of examination does Mr. Walter convince Ruth to get in Chapter LXXVI?
(a) A phronological examination.
(b) A physical examination.
(c) A psychatric examination.
(d) A dental examination.
3. What is Nettie pleading for while her grandfather is dining on the other side of the city?
(a) A new pair of shoes.
(b) A chance to sleep.
(c) A little more food.
(d) A job.
4. What makes Ruth's new room uncomfortable in Chapter LV?
(a) It is extremely cold.
(b) It is extrememly bare.
(c) It is extremely hot.
(d) It is extremely small.
5. How much time passes before Mrs. Skiddy returns to her family after abandoning them?
(a) Three months.
(b) One week.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three weeks.
6. To whom does Hyacinth reveal Floy is actually his sister Ruth in Chapter LXXIX?
(a) Mrs. Waters.
(b) Dr. and Mrs. Hall.
(c) Mr. Ellet.
(d) Mr. Lewis.
7. Who are Betty and Gatty in Chapter XLII?
(a) Ruth's friends.
(b) The women who run the boarding house.
(c) Ruth's aunts.
(d) Two of the Millets' maids.
8. Where does Ruth find a job in Chapter LXII?
(a) In a flower shop.
(b) In a country home working as a maid.
(c) The Standard.
(d) In a grocer's.
9. Who does Hyacinth ask to convince Ruth to find another line of work?
(a) Mrs. Millet.
(b) Dr. Hall.
(c) Mrs. Waters.
(d) Mrs. Hall.
10. What is Mr. Walter's opinion of Ruth as a writer?
(a) Her writing style is unique.
(b) She is an acquired taste.
(c) Her writing has its flaws, but she has interesting ideas.
(d) She is a genius.
11. In Chapter LXXX, what does Mr. Walter tell Ruth he will help her do in two days time?
(a) Move into a new home.
(b) Mediate between her and her brother.
(c) Plan her next project.
(d) Retrieve Katy from the Halls.
12. What is Ruth's pen name?
13. What is Ruth's relationship with Mrs. Millet?
(a) They are pen pals.
(b) They go to the same church.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are old friends.
14. What does Mr. Walter chastise Mr. Lescom for in a letter in Chapter LXXI?
(a) Being rude to Ruth.
(b) Publishing Ruth's work without consent.
(c) Trying to lure Ruth.
(d) Claiming a hold over Ruth.
15. What idea does Ruth come up with to earn a living in Chapter XLVIII?
(a) Make hats.
(b) Open her own school.
(d) Host a gambling night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Waters fancy herself as?
2. In Chapter LXII, how many days will it be until Ruth gets her first pay?
3. What does Mr. Walter offer Ruth to write for him?
4. How much does a publishing house offer Ruth for the copyright to her articles?
5. What are Ruth and her daughters surprised by a deliver of in Chapter XVIII?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)