|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nettie pleading for while her grandfather is dining on the other side of the city?
(a) A chance to sleep.
(b) A little more food.
(c) A job.
(d) A new pair of shoes.
2. Where does Mrs. Skiddy find her husband one day after he doesn't return from work?
(a) In a bar.
(b) Reading a book on a field.
(c) At the shipyard.
(d) On the roof of city hall.
3. In Chapter LXXX, what does Mr. Walter tell Ruth he will help her do in two days time?
(a) Move into a new home.
(b) Mediate between her and her brother.
(c) Plan her next project.
(d) Retrieve Katy from the Halls.
4. What kind of examination does Mr. Walter convince Ruth to get in Chapter LXXVI?
(a) A psychatric examination.
(b) A phronological examination.
(c) A dental examination.
(d) A physical examination.
5. What inspires Ruth to consider writing for a living?
(a) Reading a novel.
(b) Seeing a paperboy.
(c) Reading an interesting article in the paper.
(d) A compliment concerning her writing skills from an acquaintance.
6. Who sends Ruth a proposal in a fan letter?
(a) A prisoner.
(b) An old high school sweetheart.
(c) A lonely old man.
(d) A southern gentleman.
7. Who is Horace Gates?
(a) One of Hyacinth's employees.
(b) A man in love with Ruth.
(c) An aspiring writer.
(d) A relative of the Halls.
8. Where does Horace Gates work?
(a) Life Newspaper.
(b) Irving Magazine.
(c) Benton Paper.
(d) Water and Spring Magazine.
9. What does Mr. Walter ask Ruth to reveal about herself before he can offer her a contract?
(a) Her real name.
(b) Her age.
(c) Her publishing history.
(d) Her marital status.
10. What accomplishment does Ruth achieve in Chapter LXXVII?
(a) Her book is published.
(b) She learns how to knit.
(c) She is written about in the newspaper.
(d) She gets her daughter back.
11. What makes Mrs. Hall think Ruth might be desperate enough to give up one of her daughters in Chapter LVII?
(a) Ruth is looking alarmingly thin.
(b) Ruth is less patient with her daughters.
(c) Ruth is buying increasingly smaller loaves of bread.
(d) Ruth is tired and wants to focus on her work.
12. What is Ruth's relationship with Mrs. Millet?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are pen pals.
(c) They go to the same church.
(d) They are old friends.
13. Why do Ruth's two former friends refuse to stay at the boarding house in Chapter XLI?
(a) They are afraid of the bugs and creatures crawling around.
(b) They are afraid of imposing on Ruth.
(c) They are afraid for their reputations.
(d) They are afraid of the other people staying there.
14. What does Mr. Walter say Ruth shouldn't feel toward Mr. Lescom?
15. What does Mrs. Skiddy warn her husband never to speak of again when she returns?
(a) Her alcohol problem.
(b) Their child's death.
(c) Her depression.
(d) Going to California.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter XLV, what does Ruth notice about the people in her neighborhood?
2. Why does Ruth go to the Millets' kitchen?
3. What does Mr. Walter offer Ruth to write for him?
4. Who is Mrs. Waters?
5. What are Ruth and her daughters surprised by a deliver of in Chapter XVIII?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)