|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Betty and Gatty in Chapter XLII?
(a) Ruth's aunts.
(b) Two of the Millets' maids.
(c) Ruth's friends.
(d) The women who run the boarding house.
2. What makes Mrs. Hall think Ruth might be desperate enough to give up one of her daughters in Chapter LVII?
(a) Ruth is looking alarmingly thin.
(b) Ruth is less patient with her daughters.
(c) Ruth is buying increasingly smaller loaves of bread.
(d) Ruth is tired and wants to focus on her work.
3. Why does Ruth go door-to-door in Chapter LIX?
(a) She begs for money.
(b) She is looking for her daughter.
(c) She has lost her purse.
(d) She is contacting newspaper editors.
4. Why does Mrs. Hall cut off Katy's curls?
(a) Mrs. Hall wants to anger Ruth.
(b) Katy misbehaves.
(c) She is too old for such tight curls.
(d) They remind Mrs. Hall of Ruth.
5. Why does Ruth go to the Millets' kitchen?
(a) To borrow some sugar.
(b) To make some tea.
(c) To eat a bun.
(d) To do laundry.
6. In Chapter XLIV, what does Mrs. Millet say Mr. Ellet wants her to do?
(a) Take a turn paying Ruth's stipend.
(b) Take over all responsibility for Ruth's girls.
(c) Try to convince Ruth to move in with the Halls.
(d) Stop associating with Ruth.
7. In Chapter LXII, what does Ruth worry will happen before she gets her first pay?
(a) The Halls will try to take Nettie.
(b) She will pass out.
(c) She will lose her job.
(d) Nettie will starve to death.
8. In Chapter XLV, what does the man who stops Katy in the street slip into her bag?
(a) A sandwich.
(b) A pretty clip for her hair.
(c) Some candles.
9. What inspires Ruth to consider writing for a living?
(a) A compliment concerning her writing skills from an acquaintance.
(b) Reading an interesting article in the paper.
(c) Seeing a paperboy.
(d) Reading a novel.
10. What is Mr. Walter's opinion of Ruth as a writer?
(a) Her writing style is unique.
(b) She is an acquired taste.
(c) Her writing has its flaws, but she has interesting ideas.
(d) She is a genius.
11. What kind of examination does Mr. Walter convince Ruth to get in Chapter LXXVI?
(a) A dental examination.
(b) A phronological examination.
(c) A physical examination.
(d) A psychatric examination.
12. What does Mr. Walter offer Ruth to write for him?
(a) A place to live and free meals.
(b) More than her current two salaries.
(c) A small fortune.
(d) Three times the salary of Dr. Hall.
13. What does Mr. Walter chastise Mr. Lescom for in a letter in Chapter LXXI?
(a) Publishing Ruth's work without consent.
(b) Being rude to Ruth.
(c) Claiming a hold over Ruth.
(d) Trying to lure Ruth.
14. What does Mr. Walter tell Ruth in a letter in Chapter LXXX?
(a) That she is making a small fortune.
(b) That she is the most successful female author in America.
(c) That she deserves a raise.
(d) That her contract is null and void.
15. Where does Mrs. Skiddy find her husband one day after he doesn't return from work?
(a) On the roof of city hall.
(b) In a bar.
(c) At the shipyard.
(d) Reading a book on a field.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Ruth come to the Millets' kitchen?
2. What does Mr. Walter guess when he reads Ruth's columns?
3. What is Katy being forced to do by the Halls in Chapter LXIII?
4. What are Ruth and her daughters surprised by a deliver of in Chapter XVIII?
5. Why do Ruth's two former friends refuse to stay at the boarding house in Chapter XLI?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)