|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth note about hotel life in Chapter XXV?
(a) It is lavish and convenient.
(b) The people and activities are the same year to year.
(c) It feels very isolated and cold.
(d) She meets many interesting people.
2. What do Ruth and Harry name their first child?
3. What does Dr. Hall request for Tom Develin to send him?
(a) Harry's clothing.
(b) Harry's account books.
(c) Harry's wristwatch.
(d) Harry's cufflinks.
4. Who arrives at Ruth's house to try and help Daisy in Chapter XXII?
(a) Another doctor.
(b) Harry's colleague.
(c) The neighbor.
(d) Mrs. Hall.
5. How does Dr. Hall meddle in his son's business in Chapter XV?
(a) He hires a private investigator to bring him information on the company.
(b) He orders supplies without Harry's knowledge.
(c) He takes control of the accounts.
(d) He tells Harry's workers to obey his orders, not Harry's.
6. What does Dinah see which makes her investigate what is going on in Chapter XXI?
(a) A pool of blood.
(b) A light on in the house.
(c) A lantern thrown on the floor.
(d) A single shoe.
7. What is Ruth holding as she cries over Daisy in Chapter XXIV?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A dried flower.
(d) A trinket.
8. Where is Harry buried?
(a) Behind his house.
(b) In the forest he played in as a child.
(c) Beside Daisy.
(d) In the family plot.
9. What insect does Daisy amuse herself with in Chapter XVI?
(a) A ladybug.
(b) A butterfly.
(c) A firefly.
(d) A caterpillar.
10. Which religious order do the Halls follow?
11. What is ailing Ruth in Chapter XXXIV?
(b) A cough.
(c) A headache.
(d) A sore throat.
12. Why do the Halls agree to give Ruth some money in Chapter XXXV?
(a) Because she begs them for some.
(b) So that they will look good at church.
(c) Because they believe it is what their son would have wanted.
(d) So that she will leave them alone for good.
13. What does Ruth ask Mr. Herbert for?
(a) A few treats for her children.
(b) A sewing job.
(c) A chance to show her talents.
(d) Some expired products.
14. What treatment does Dr. Hall give Daisy when he arrives in Chapter XXII?
(a) He gives her medicine and waits by her side.
(b) He bathes her in a hot mixture.
(c) He doesn't give her any treatment.
(d) He bleeds her.
15. How long have Dr. and Mrs. Hall been married?
(a) Twenty-seven years.
(b) Thirty-three years.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Forty years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far from the city is the house that Ruth and Harry buy?
2. What does Dr. Hall send to treat Daisy with in Chapter XX?
3. What thought does Hyacinth have as he watches his mourning sister?
4. What does the letter to Dr. Hall from Mr. Ellet in Chapter XXXV say?
5. What does Dr. Hall tell his wife that Ruth couldn't care less about?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)