|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mr. Ellet and Dr. Hall each claim about each other in Chapter XXXIII?
(a) That the other is more handsome.
(b) That the other is more wealthy.
(c) That the other is more lucky.
(d) That the other is more pious.
2. What does Ruth feel mocks her when her husband is buried?
(a) The bright sunny weather.
(b) The natural beauty which surrounds the cemetery.
(c) His will.
(d) Mrs. Hall's inappropriate attire.
3. Why doesn't Ruth tell Harry that his family is mistreating her?
(a) She doesn't want Harry to have to pick sides.
(b) She is afraid of Mrs. Hall's wrath.
(c) She is afraid he will side with his family.
(d) She doesn't want to cause more stress.
4. What do Ruth and Harry name their first child?
5. Why does Tom Develin comply with Dr. Hall's request in Chapter XXXVII?
(a) Develin is afraid of Dr. Hall.
(b) Develin hopes to be rewarded.
(c) Develin looks upon Dr. Hall as a father-figure.
(d) Develin dislikes Ruth.
6. What does Dr. Hall request for Tom Develin to send him?
(a) Harry's cufflinks.
(b) Harry's clothing.
(c) Harry's account books.
(d) Harry's wristwatch.
7. Where did Dr. Hall grow up?
(d) New York.
8. Why is Ruth's brother particularly glad she has married?
(a) Her family will no longer have to support her financially.
(b) He knows she is happy.
(c) He knows the groom personally.
(d) She will move out and he will get her room.
9. What does Biddy hide her face with as she runs from the room in Chapter XXXII?
(a) A basket of scones.
(b) Her hands.
(c) Her apron.
(d) A quilt.
10. Why isn't Ruth sad to be leaving home in Chapter I?
(a) She knows she will return soon.
(b) She is excited about her new home.
(c) She had an unhappy childhood.
(d) Her home was very boring.
11. What does Dr. Hall destroy at Harry's home in Chapter XV?
(a) Newly planted hedges.
(b) A bottle of liquor.
(c) Love letters.
(d) A manuscript.
12. Who does Mrs. Hall blame for Daisy's death?
(d) Mr. Hall.
13. What does Ruth tease Daisy about when she is on the doorstep in Chapter XVI?
(a) Her ugly playmate.
(b) Her wide smile.
(c) Her silly laugh.
(d) Her dirty hands.
14. What does Ruth ask Mr. Herbert for?
(a) A sewing job.
(b) A few treats for her children.
(c) A chance to show her talents.
(d) Some expired products.
15. Who arrives at Ruth's house to try and help Daisy in Chapter XXII?
(a) Mrs. Hall.
(b) Harry's colleague.
(c) Another doctor.
(d) The neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter to Dr. Hall from Mr. Ellet in Chapter XXXV say?
2. What is Ruth's brother's name?
3. What criticism does Mrs. Hall have of Ruth's family in Chapter III?
4. What does Mrs. Hall tell Ruth about after she has given birth?
5. What color is the wreath that Ruth carries on her wedding day?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)