|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tom Develin comply with Dr. Hall's request in Chapter XXXVII?
(a) Develin dislikes Ruth.
(b) Develin hopes to be rewarded.
(c) Develin looks upon Dr. Hall as a father-figure.
(d) Develin is afraid of Dr. Hall.
2. What insect does Daisy amuse herself with in Chapter XVI?
(a) A ladybug.
(b) A butterfly.
(c) A caterpillar.
(d) A firefly.
3. What does Dr. Hall send to treat Daisy with in Chapter XX?
(a) A hot drink.
(b) A stuffed toy.
(c) A bottle of medicine.
4. What season is it in Chapter XIX?
5. What do the Halls think the Ellet men are avoiding a discussion about in Chapter XXX?
(a) The reasons behind Harry's death.
(b) Ruth's future as a wage-earner.
(c) Who should now be financially responsible for Ruth and her girls.
(d) Who should try to comfort Ruth.
6. What does Mrs. Hall warn Dr. Hall he should not make fun of her for in Chapter XVIII?
(a) For walking with a limp.
(b) For wearing false hair.
(c) For her hearty laugh.
(d) For eating in such small bites.
7. What is the name of the Halls' maid?
8. What does Dinah see which makes her investigate what is going on in Chapter XXI?
(a) A light on in the house.
(b) A lantern thrown on the floor.
(c) A pool of blood.
(d) A single shoe.
9. What is Daisy waiting on the doorstep for in Chapter XVI?
(a) For her pet cat to return.
(b) Rain to come.
(d) Her father to return home.
10. What is the one thing that the Halls agree on completely?
(a) That their son is perfect.
(b) That their son should have at least four children.
(c) That Ruth should be sent away.
(d) That Ruth is a sweet girl after all.
11. What is the name of Harry's horse?
12. What color is the wreath that Ruth carries on her wedding day?
13. Which religious order do the Halls follow?
14. When Dinah sees Daisy, what does she think about Daisy's condition?
(a) Daisy is suffering greatly from pain.
(b) Daisy might not make it through the night.
(c) Daisy is faking her illness.
(d) Daisy is slightly chilled.
15. Why doesn't Ruth tell Harry that his family is mistreating her?
(a) She doesn't want Harry to have to pick sides.
(b) She is afraid of Mrs. Hall's wrath.
(c) She is afraid he will side with his family.
(d) She doesn't want to cause more stress.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what condition do the Halls say they will raise Ruth's daughters?
2. Where do Ruth and her daughters move to in Chapter XXXV?
3. How long have Dr. and Mrs. Hall been married?
4. What is Ruth's brother's name?
5. What does Mrs. Hall vow to do by whatever means necessary in Chapter XXXV?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)