|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ailing Ruth in Chapter XXXIV?
(a) A headache.
(b) A cough.
(d) A sore throat.
2. Who is Miss Skinlin?
(a) A dressmaker.
(b) A florist.
(c) A tutor.
(d) A maid.
3. On what condition do the Halls say they will raise Ruth's daughters?
(a) If Ruth allows Mrs. Hall complete control of their social lives.
(b) If Ruth pays half of their expenses.
(c) If Ruth promises to stay away from them.
(d) If Ruth allows them to study abroad.
4. What is the name of Ruth's eldest living daughter?
5. What do Ruth and Harry name their first child?
6. What figure does Mrs. Hall take objection to her son having a statue of?
(b) The goddess Venus.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
7. How long have Dr. and Mrs. Hall been married?
(a) Thirty-three years.
(b) Forty years.
(c) Twenty-seven years.
(d) Thirty years.
8. What does Ruth note about hotel life in Chapter XXV?
(a) The people and activities are the same year to year.
(b) It feels very isolated and cold.
(c) It is lavish and convenient.
(d) She meets many interesting people.
9. Who is Mrs. Jiff?
(a) The scullery maid.
(b) Ruth's aunt.
(c) The tutor at the Hall residence.
(d) The nurse who cares for Ruth.
10. What event takes place in Chapter XXIII?
(a) Daisy's funeral.
(b) Daisy's birthday.
(c) Ruth's and Harry's anniversary.
(d) Ruth's birthday.
11. What does Mrs. Hall complain about Ruth's hair in Chapter XVIII?
(a) That Ruth should do her hair in a more dignified style.
(b) That Ruth needs to wash her hair more often.
(c) That Ruth's hair is an ugly color.
(d) That Ruth should put more effort into her hairstyle.
12. What does Mrs. Hall call Ruth to belittle her in Chapter III?
(a) A puny runt.
(b) A country bumpkin.
(c) An airheaded ninny.
(d) A frivolous doll.
13. In Chapter XXIV, how many years have passed since Daisy's death?
(a) Six years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Two years.
14. What is the name of Harry's horse?
15. Who is Biddy?
(a) Mrs. Hall's neighbor.
(b) Ruth's personal maid.
(c) Ruth's nursery maid.
(d) Ruth's cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Jiff spend most of her time?
2. Who is Dr. and Mrs. Hall's neighbor?
3. What do the Halls think the Ellet men are avoiding a discussion about in Chapter XXX?
4. What does Miss Skinlin fish for information about in Chapter XXX?
5. What do Mr. Ellet and Dr. Hall each claim about each other in Chapter XXXIII?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)