|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Miss Skinlin?
(a) A maid.
(b) A dressmaker.
(c) A tutor.
(d) A florist.
2. What does Mrs. Hall tell Ruth about after she has given birth?
(a) That she screamed so loudly it woke the neighbors.
(b) That her baby is beautiful.
(c) That she was brave and should be proud of herself.
(d) How many women die after childbirth.
3. After Harry's death, what do some gentlemen outside the hotel plan to do for Ruth?
(a) Find a sitter for her.
(b) Find her a job.
(c) Help her with her accounting.
(d) Take up a collection for her.
4. What does Ruth feel mocks her when her husband is buried?
(a) Mrs. Hall's inappropriate attire.
(b) His will.
(c) The bright sunny weather.
(d) The natural beauty which surrounds the cemetery.
5. Who does Mrs. Hall blame for Daisy's death?
(a) Mr. Hall.
6. What does the Hall's neighbor note about Ruth in Chapter XXIV?
(a) Ruth is taking Daisy's death very hard.
(b) Ruth is very stylish.
(c) Ruth has gained weight since she last saw her.
(d) Ruth is a very kind and generous young woman.
7. What does the letter to Dr. Hall from Mr. Ellet in Chapter XXXV say?
(a) That Ruth refuses to part with her children.
(b) That he will be coming for a visit soon.
(c) That the children should be forced from Ruth's side.
(d) That they should put a stop to any contact with Ruth.
8. What is Ruth's brother's name?
9. What do the Halls think the Ellet men are avoiding a discussion about in Chapter XXX?
(a) Ruth's future as a wage-earner.
(b) The reasons behind Harry's death.
(c) Who should now be financially responsible for Ruth and her girls.
(d) Who should try to comfort Ruth.
10. What does Mrs. Hall vow to do by whatever means necessary in Chapter XXXV?
(a) Cut Ruth and her children out of her life.
(b) Get Katy and Nettie from their mother.
(c) Rebuild her relationship with Ruth.
(d) Find a new husband for Ruth.
11. What does Biddy hide her face with as she runs from the room in Chapter XXXII?
(a) A basket of scones.
(b) A quilt.
(c) Her hands.
(d) Her apron.
12. What does Miss Skinlin fish for information about in Chapter XXX?
(a) How Ruth is grieving.
(b) What Ruth plans to do to make a living.
(c) What will become of Ruth and her daughters.
(d) What Mrs. Hall has done to help Ruth.
13. Which religious order do the Halls follow?
14. What insect does Daisy amuse herself with in Chapter XVI?
(a) A caterpillar.
(b) A firefly.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A ladybug.
15. Why isn't Ruth sad to be leaving home in Chapter I?
(a) She is excited about her new home.
(b) She had an unhappy childhood.
(c) She knows she will return soon.
(d) Her home was very boring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ruth and Daisy have a shared love for?
2. On what condition do the Halls say they will raise Ruth's daughters?
3. What does Dr. Hall believe he knows much more about than Harry does in Chapter XV?
4. When does Daisy die?
5. What sound can Daisy hear coming from the barn in Chapter XIX?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)