|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alexander want to marry?
2. What does Nicolai try to find?
3. What is Nicolai's relation with Misha?
4. Where does Vladimir promise Rosa he will send Dmitri?
5. Why does Madame Adelaide de Ronville propose to include Bobrov in her will?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Pavlo, and what is his role in Russka?
2. What was Tsar Peter's plan for modernizing Russia?
3. Why does Pinegin want revenge against Sergei, and how does he get it?
4. Who is Madame Adelaide de Ronville, and what does Alexander Bobrov need from her?
5. When the narrative resumes in 1827, what trouble is Sergei having?
6. Describe Savva Suvorin's arrival in Moscow.
7. What leads to Alexander Bobrov's arrest and imprisonment?
8. What role do Madame Adelaide de Ronville's salons play in Russka?
9. What is Alexander Bobrov's relationship with Nadezhda?
10. Describe Alexander Bobrov's imprisonment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were to boil Russian history down to a few main themes, what would you say are the primary oppositions, century to century? How did the progress of history change the nature of those oppositions? How did the past affect how Russia encountered these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Is the absence of the 20th century a flaw in "Russka"?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of "Russka"--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)