|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the priest at Russka accused of when the police arrived to arrest him?
2. What is Popov knowledgeable about in his discussion on the train?
3. What are students preaching in the villages in the mid-1800s?
4. Where does Pinegin find Sergei?
5. What was Sergei's sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrative resumes in 1827, what trouble is Sergei having?
2. What is Alexander Bobrov's relationship with Nadezhda?
3. What happens to Nicolai and Grigory?
4. What are the political implications of the Tsar's acts during the Great War?
5. What leads to Alexander Bobrov's arrest and imprisonment?
6. How does Rutherfurd describe the Russian experience of the Napoleonic War?
7. What is Karpenko's relationship with Nadezhda?
8. How did the revolution of 1905 begin in Russia?
9. Describe Alexander Bobrov's imprisonment.
10. What is Alexander Bobrov's relationship with Sergei?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of "Russka". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall form of the novel "Russka". Is it one overarching story, or is it a series of discrete stories that don't necessarily add up to a master narrative.
Essay Topic 3
What contemporary cultural problems or cultural questions does "Russka" shed light on? What questions about an ongoing cultural situation does "Russka" help you understand?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)