|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Misha fighting in 1855?
2. How long has Nicolai been in St. Petersburg in 1891?
3. How does Pinegin get revenge on Sergei?
4. What bothers Alexander about Mrs. Suvorin?
5. Who is Popov trying to decide in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Suvorin's relationship with Popov?
2. How does Daniel die?
3. Who is Pavlo, and what is his role in Russka?
4. Why does Pinegin want revenge against Sergei, and how does he get it?
5. What was Tsar Peter's plan for modernizing Russia?
6. What role do Madame Adelaide de Ronville's salons play in Russka?
7. What is Karpenko's relationship with Nadezhda?
8. What does Savva Suvorin do after he is freed?
9. Describe Savva Suvorin's arrival in Moscow.
10. What are the political implications of the Tsar's acts during the Great War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What influences led to the end of serfdom in Russia? Were these influences naturally Russian influences, or were the imported from without?
Essay Topic 2
How does Rutherfurd maintain the reader's interest for nearly 1,000 pages? What plot strategies, what suspense, or what kinds of stories does Rutherfurd include, to keep his readers zooming along? Where is he most successful? Where does the narrative slow down?
Essay Topic 3
What foreign ideas, technologies, or other developments had the strongest influence?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)