|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sergei work after school?
2. Who does Andrei save when the Bobrov estate is destroyed?
3. By whom does Tatiana become pregnant?
4. When does the Tsar dissolve the duma?
5. What happens in the duel between Sergei and Pinegin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do Madame Adelaide de Ronville's salons play in Russka?
2. What is Mrs. Suvorin's relationship with Popov?
3. Describe the conditions in Russia in 1891.
4. Describe Popov's subversive activities.
5. What happens to the Jews in Russia after 1881?
6. Describe the state of the opposition to the Tsar in Chapters 7 and 8.
7. How does Rutherfurd describe the Russian experience of the Napoleonic War?
8. What happens to Nicolai and Grigory?
9. What are the political implications of the Tsar's acts during the Great War?
10. Describe Nicolai's discussion with Popov on the train to Moscow.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
How does Rutherfurd maintain the reader's interest for nearly 1,000 pages? What plot strategies, what suspense, or what kinds of stories does Rutherfurd include, to keep his readers zooming along? Where is he most successful? Where does the narrative slow down?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall form of the novel "Russka". Is it one overarching story, or is it a series of discrete stories that don't necessarily add up to a master narrative.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)