|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of poetry does Sergei recite at the Feast?
2. What are students preaching in the villages in the mid-1800s?
3. Where does Sergei attend school?
4. What organization is Procopy part of?
5. What does Tatiana interrupt in 1844?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alexander Bobrov's imprisonment.
2. How does Rutherfurd describe the Russian experience of the Napoleonic War?
3. Describe the relationship between Rosa Abramovich's and Peter Suvorin?
4. What happens to Nicolai and Grigory?
5. Describe the state of the opposition to the Tsar in Chapters 7 and 8.
6. What leads to Alexander Bobrov's arrest and imprisonment?
7. Describe Nicolai's discussion with Popov on the train to Moscow.
8. Who is Pavlo, and what is his role in Russka?
9. What is Alexander Bobrov's relationship with Sergei?
10. What is Mrs. Suvorin's relationship with Popov?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall form of the novel "Russka". Is it one overarching story, or is it a series of discrete stories that don't necessarily add up to a master narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of "Russka"--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)