|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had killed Yanka's mother?
2. Who is Mengu?
3. What is the goal of the Mongols?
4. Who is the monastery dedicated to that is built on land Melei gives to the priest?
5. Who revolts in 1067?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the opposition between Ivan and his brother.
2. Describe the setting and story being told when the story shifts to 1237.
3. What is the Bobrov family up to in 1647?
4. Describe Ivan's story.
5. What has changed since the scenes set in 180 AD?
6. What is the political situation in Russia when the novel leaps forward to 1647?
7. Describe the lifestyles of Lebed and her people.
8. Describe the controversy over the icons in Russka.
9. Describe Andrei Karpenko's relationship with Maryushka.
10. Why does Bobrov have a grudge against Stephen the monk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would "Russka" be different if it were told more from the perspective of the women in the prominent families? What experiences dose Rutherfurd allude to, but not elaborate on, in the realm of women?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
If you were to boil Russian history down to a few main themes, what would you say are the primary oppositions, century to century? How did the progress of history change the nature of those oppositions? How did the past affect how Russia encountered these changes?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)