|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who marries Milei's youngest son?
2. What happens to Sviatopolk after Monomakh refuses the throne?
3. What happens when Boris says that one of the monks is guilty of heresy?
4. What does Ivan do when his journey is interrupted?
5. What does Sviatopolk try to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the uprising led by Stenka Razin.
2. Describe Yanka's interactions with Peter.
3. Describe Ivan's story.
4. Describe the setting and story being told when the story shifts to 1237.
5. What is the Bobrov family up to in 1647?
6. Who are the Raskolniki?
7. What happens when Tsar Ivan divides his estate?
8. What is the political situation in Russia when the novel leaps forward to 1647?
9. Describe Andrei Karpenko's relationship with Maryushka.
10. Describe the political state of Russia in 1262.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would Rutherfurd describe history, do you think? How could another writer have written a story that covered the same time period, but told it with a different focus or emphasis?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Russia respond to the industrial revolution differently than the European countries? What Russian social structures and customs influenced its reaction to the industrial revolution?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)