|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lebed find Kiy after he wanders off?
2. Why does Yanka kill Peter?
3. What does Elena tell Boris that makes him happy?
4. Who is Mengu?
5. What is Boris hoping for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the political system in 1067?
2. Describe Yanka's interactions with Peter.
3. Who has the most power in this earliest chapter?
4. What happens when Bobrov's wife gets pregnant in his absence?
5. How have conditions changed by 1066 AD?
6. What problem is Boris Bobrov having with his estate and how does he solve it?
7. Who are the Raskolniki?
8. What has changed since the scenes set in 180 AD?
9. Who is Yanka and what is her story?
10. What kind of political alliance does Milei suggest, and why does this injure Yanka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Russia respond to the industrial revolution differently than the European countries? What Russian social structures and customs influenced its reaction to the industrial revolution?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall form of the novel "Russka". Is it one overarching story, or is it a series of discrete stories that don't necessarily add up to a master narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of "Russka"--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)