|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arrival is Milei waiting for in 1262?
2. Where is Ivan taken?
3. What does Ivan do when his journey is interrupted?
4. What happens when Boris says that one of the monks is guilty of heresy?
5. Where have Ivan's father and brothers gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem is Boris Bobrov having with his estate and how does he solve it?
2. Where does the novel begin?
3. What is the Schism?
4. Who is Yanka and what is her story?
5. Who has the most power in this earliest chapter?
6. What kind of political alliance does Milei suggest, and why does this injure Yanka?
7. Describe the controversy over the icons in Russka.
8. How does Stephen die?
9. Describe Yanka's pregnancy and marriage.
10. How have conditions changed by 1066 AD?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Russia respond to the industrial revolution differently than the European countries? What Russian social structures and customs influenced its reaction to the industrial revolution?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of change in "Russka". Does the novel describe long-term development? Does it describe the unfolding of a national personality over 1,800 years? How does it treat that historical personality?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)