|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Alans?
(a) The least successful of the Sarmatian tribes.
(b) Traveling merchants.
(c) The greatest of the Sarmatian tribes.
(d) Peaceful agriculturalists.
2. What does Mal tell him in answer to his question?
(a) That there is venison.
(b) That he is still to young.
(c) The cub is still in the forest.
(d) That they will go soon.
3. How old is Kiy in the beginning of "Russka"?
4. What does the leader tell the Alans?
(a) That they will not take Kiy.
(b) That they will not fight for Rome.
(c) That they will not attack Lebed's village.
(d) That they will take Kiy with them.
5. What does Monomakh do a few days after he refuses the throne?
(a) Gets executed.
(b) Accepts the throne.
(c) Flees the territory.
(d) Goes into hiding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Stanislaus bring to Andrei Karpenko's family?
2. What does Stephen change for the priests' sake?
3. Who helps Yanka kill Peter?
4. What is the capital of Russia in Chapter 2?
5. What happens to the son Elena bore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the novel begin?
2. What happens when Tsar Ivan divides his estate?
3. Describe the controversy over the icons in Russka.
4. How have conditions changed by 1066 AD?
5. What is the nature of the political system in 1067?
6. Describe the opposition between Ivan and his brother.
7. Describe the setting and story being told when the story shifts to 1237.
8. Describe Andrei Karpenko's relationship with Maryushka.
9. What kind of political alliance does Milei suggest, and why does this injure Yanka?
10. Describe Ivan's story.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)