|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Belinsky find in literature?
2. What was Tolstoy's relationship with Hegel's philosophy?
3. Where was Herzen born?
4. How does Berlin ultimately characterize Turgenev?
5. What were the Russian Populists opposed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Alexander Herzen come from?
2. How are Herzen and Turgenev similar? How are they different?
3. How did Tolstoy's theories and values appear in his novels?
4. Why was Chernychevsky wary of the state?
5. What was the stance of the "new men" toward Turgenev?
6. Who was Nikolay Chernychevsky and what was his role in Russian culture?
7. What was Turgenev's political stance, and how had he formulated it?
8. According to Berlin, why was Turgenev attacked from both left and right?
9. Where did characters based on Belinsky appear in Russian literature?
10. What was Herzen's early activist career like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was writing enough for Russian writers, or did they have to be known for their actions as well? Whether it is Herzen's radical magazine or Tolstoy's radical innovations on his estate, it seems that literature itself could never be more than a part of a man's identity. Why was this? Were there writers who were successful by simply being writers?
Essay Topic 2
What cultural institutions or customs were Russian writers trying to defend when they were resisting European ideas of progress and Enlightenment? How did authors define the unique "Russian soul?"
Essay Topic 3
How were the roles of literature and literary criticism different in 19th-century Russia? What did critics expect to do in criticism? What did writers expect to do by writing? In which writers, or in what cases did these functions overlap? Where did they diverge, or tear a writer's work in two directions?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)