|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What balance did Herzen strike in his philosophy?
2. What archetype was Levin in Anna Karenina an example of?
3. What problem obsessed Turgenev during his life?
4. How was Turgenev received by the radicals of the 1860s and 70s?
5. How does Berlin ultimately characterize Turgenev?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Herzen and Turgenev similar? How are they different?
2. What talent did Turgenev share with English poet John Keats?
3. According to Berlin, why was Turgenev attacked from both left and right?
4. What qualities did the characters based on Belinsky have?
5. Describe Belinsky's background and biography.
6. Describe Russian populism as a movement.
7. What was Herzen's relationship with his friends?
8. How did Hegel's ideas influence Herzen?
9. What was the critical consensus on Tolstoy, and how does Berlin revise it?
10. What was Herzen's early activist career like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which writer or character is most representative of the tensions and conflicting desires that characterize the writers Berlin profiles? Define your terms, and use examples from the life of the author you choose.
Essay Topic 2
What cultural institutions or customs were Russian writers trying to defend when they were resisting European ideas of progress and Enlightenment? How did authors define the unique "Russian soul?"
Essay Topic 3
How accurate is the stereotype of the Russian intellectual as gloomy and pessimistic? Why was that stereotype conceived, and what cultural factors would induce an intellectual to be gloomy and pessimistic? In what cases was the stereotype grossly inaccurate?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)