|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interaction did Tolstoy have with the radical Dobrolyubov?
2. What did Herzen understand that the revolutionaries did not understand?
3. How did Belinsky make a living?
4. What group was Herzen part of in university?
5. What quality redeemed the characters based on Belinsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Herzen's early activist career like?
2. What Western thinkers influenced Populism?
3. Why was Chernychevsky wary of the state?
4. How are Herzen and Turgenev similar? How are they different?
5. What course of action did Tolstoy advocate for intellectuals?
6. What signs indicate the importance of Belinsky in Russian culture?
7. How did Belinsky see literature's use?
8. What does the term "superfluous men" mean in Russian literature?
9. What was Tolstoy's education like?
10. Who was Nikolay Chernychevsky and what was his role in Russian culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which two or three writers had the greatest effect on Russian society? Define your argument, and use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What part did women play in the lives of the thinkers Berlin describes? Pick one or two authors or thinkers, and describe the influence the women in their lives had on their work.
Essay Topic 3
Where else in the modern world are people playing out this tension between progress on one hand and nationalism or localism, on the other? How does the Russian example--of revolutionaries trying to preserve Russian social structures in the face of industrial or modern reforms--relate to the modern example?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)