|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tolstoy get along with the literary salons?
2. Whom did Belinsky identify as the father of Russian literature?
3. What does the Russian word "Mir" mean?
4. Who was the thinker Tolstoy agreed with most?
5. How was Belinsky described by the writers he influenced?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tolstoy's theories and values appear in his novels?
2. Why was Chernychevsky wary of the state?
3. How did Belinsky see literature's use?
4. How are Herzen and Turgenev similar? How are they different?
5. What belief did Tolstoy share with Rousseau?
6. Describe Russian populism as a movement.
7. What was Turgenev's political stance, and how had he formulated it?
8. What qualities did the characters based on Belinsky have?
9. What was Herzen's early activist career like?
10. According to Berlin, why was Turgenev attacked from both left and right?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Were literature and philosophy separable from politics in 19th-century Russian literature, or were they simply the meditative and artistic versions of political activity? What was it about the cultural moment of 19th-century Russia that turned philosophy and literature into political questions?
Essay Topic 2
Which two or three writers had the greatest effect on Russian society? Define your argument, and use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What are the strengths of the kind of biography Berlin is practicing here? What are the limitations? What does Berlin show effectively? What questions remain unaddressed, or unresolved?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)