|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What student of Stankevich's lectured on Western medieval history in Moscow?
2. What writer supported the Tsar's acts?
3. Where did de Maistre express his views?
4. What as Alexander Herzen's employment?
5. How was the period that followed the Tsar's acts known?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Leo Tolstoy's as a thinker, and how does Berlin see him?
2. What did Russian students learn in German universities?
3. Describe the difference between Herzen and Bakunin's personalities.
4. In what ways does Berlin see Tolstoy's experience as representative of Russian culture?
5. Who was Joseph de Maistre and what ideas did Tolstoy share with him?
6. What saying of Schelling's represents the relationship of artists to their times in Russian ideology of the mid-nineteenth century?
7. How did Bakunin differ from Stankevich in his application of Hegelian ideas?
8. What was Russia's cultural situation in the 1830s and 40s?
9. How did Bakunin react to Hegel's philosophy?
10. What problems did Herzen have with Hegelian philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What cultural factors made the Russian populists so popular at first and then so ineffective? Why were populist leaders so out of touch that when populists went to the communes in 1874, the peasants rebuffed them whose organization they idealized?
Essay Topic 2
How were the roles of literature and literary criticism different in 19th-century Russia? What did critics expect to do in criticism? What did writers expect to do by writing? In which writers, or in what cases did these functions overlap? Where did they diverge, or tear a writer's work in two directions?
Essay Topic 3
How did authors resist the pitfalls of political engagement? Choose three authors or critics and describe their strategies for refusing to engage with the political tensions of their day.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)