|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Remarkable Decade: Alexander Herzen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Tolstoy's relationship with Joseph de Maistre?
(a) de Maistre censored Tolstoy.
(b) Tolstoy was de Maistre's father-in-law.
(c) They were co-conspirators.
(d) They shared similar views.
2. What did Herzen believe was the "goal" of life?
(a) Political equality for everyone.
(c) Social justice.
(d) Life itself.
3. Whose novels did the Russian Intelligentsia influence?
4. How does Berlin describe the state of Russian culture in the mid-1800s?
(a) A thriving renaissance.
(b) A powder keg on the verge of revolution.
(c) A police state.
(d) A moral and intellectual vacuum.
5. How does Berlin describe Bakunin's personality?
(a) As magnetic.
(b) As shy and shrinking.
(c) As luminous.
(d) As polarizing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Berlin describe Herzen's prose style?
2. How did authors fare in the mid-nineteenth-century Russian literary scene?
3. Which of the following describes Russian censorship during the middle of the nineteenth century?
4. What had been the outcome of the European states' revolution?
5. When had the European states experienced revolution?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)