|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Remarkable Decade: Alexander Herzen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do foxes represent in the adage that "the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing"?
(b) The concreteness of experience.
(d) Political calculations.
2. How did Herzen see history?
(a) Herzen saw history as the mind of God thinking.
(b) Herzen saw history as the narrative imposed after events.
(c) Herzen saw history as a movement of spiritual forces.
(d) Herzen saw history as a mechanistic development.
3. When was Herzen born?
4. What events proved the limitation Tolstoy described?
(a) The Tsar's reforms.
(b) The industrial development of Russia.
(c) The Napoleonic battles.
(d) The development of Christianity.
5. What did Herzen understand that the revolutionaries did not understand?
(a) The cost of revolutionary change.
(b) The power of the aristocracy.
(c) The hellish nature of armed conflict.
(d) The corrupting nature of power.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Berlin, why is there not a good biography of Alexander Herzen?
2. What does Berlin say was the "French" attitude toward the arts?
3. What qualities did the characters based on Belinsky possess?
4. What were de Maistre's views?
5. What group was Herzen part of in university?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)