|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Remarkable Decade: Alexander Herzen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Herzen born?
2. How was Herzen seen by the revolutionaries of the 1860s and 1870s?
(a) Herzen was portrayed as a father of Russian literature.
(b) Herzen was seen as a decadent aesthete.
(c) Herzen was dismissed as a salon-talker.
(d) Herzen was seen as an inspiring revolutionary.
3. What idea captured the imagination of the Russian intelligentsia?
(a) The pragmatic notion that industrial development requires the scientific application of social theories.
(b) The jingoistic notion that the soul of a people is visible in its arts and industry.
(c) The idea of racial purity and positive eugenics.
(d) The Romantic notion that each human society has an organic unity.
4. How did censorship system work?
(a) It used paid informers to keep banned books from being written.
(b) It was a double censorship system.
(c) It forced authors to publically recant having written banned books.
(d) It relied on writers' self-censorship.
5. How does Berlin describe Bakunin?
(a) As a highly original thinker.
(b) As a revolutionary filled with promise of his convictions.
(c) As a magnetic popularizer of other people's theories.
(d) As a shy aesthete.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Vissarion Belinsky die?
2. What quality redeemed the characters based on Belinsky?
3. How does Berlin describe Bakunin's personality?
4. What do hedgehogs represent in the adage that "the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing"?
5. Who were Herzen's parents?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)