|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Tolstoy and Enlightenment.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality redeemed the characters based on Belinsky?
(a) Self-defeating clumsiness.
(b) Simple kindness.
(c) Intense moral convictions.
2. What do Herzen and Turgenev's novels have in common?
(a) A commitment to social justice.
(b) The sense that many human problems are insoluble.
(c) A determination to bring about the downfall of the aristocracy.
(d) A vision of post-revolutionary utopian society.
3. What was Tolstoy's relationship with Joseph de Maistre?
(a) Tolstoy was de Maistre's father-in-law.
(b) They shared similar views.
(c) They were co-conspirators.
(d) de Maistre censored Tolstoy.
4. How did Herzen see history?
(a) Herzen saw history as the narrative imposed after events.
(b) Herzen saw history as a mechanistic development.
(c) Herzen saw history as a movement of spiritual forces.
(d) Herzen saw history as the mind of God thinking.
5. How did Herzen apply the philosophy of the philosopher whose work he followed?
(a) Herzen concluded that no one grand theory could solve society's problems.
(b) Herzen wasted his time on drinking and gambling as a rebellion against a rational society.
(c) Herzen applied theories methodically and pragmatically to social problems.
(d) Herzen found beauty in nature, and tried to escape from a corrupt society.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Berlin describe progressive Romanticism?
2. What features of European culture were missing in Russia in the 1830s and 40s?
3. When did Russian Populism begin to decline?
4. Who were Herzen's parents?
5. How did the writer who supported the Tsar present the Tsar's acts?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)