|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Tolstoy and Enlightenment.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose writing was Russia "intellectually dependent" upon?
(a) Flaubert and Rousseau.
(b) Hume and Locke.
(c) Plato and Plotinus.
(d) Fichte and Schelling.
2. What, according to Berlin, did Tolstoy see as futile?
(a) Searching for grand designs in events.
(b) Transcendent experience.
(c) Fulfilling individual experience.
(d) Sharing experience between two people.
3. How does Berlin describe Bakunin?
(a) As a shy aesthete.
(b) As a revolutionary filled with promise of his convictions.
(c) As a magnetic popularizer of other people's theories.
(d) As a highly original thinker.
4. What was Belinsky like in a debate?
(b) Bombastic and offensive.
(c) Frigidly rational.
5. What was the name of the committee in charge of government censorship?
(a) The Homeland Purity Committee.
(b) The Comintern.
(c) The Second of April Committee.
(d) The Decembrist Committee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was de Maistre's position?
2. What model did populists see as the basis for reform?
3. How does Berlin describe conservative Romantics?
4. Where did Tolstoy go to university?
5. How does Berlin characterize Bakunin's ideas?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)