|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Herzen and Bakunin on Individual Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tolstoy believe was the only way to access truth and reason?
(a) Human experience.
(b) Spiritual transcendence.
(c) Transcendental experience.
(d) Historical awareness.
2. What was the result of Russia's "moral quarantine"?
(a) Ethnic cleansing of Tartars.
(b) A renaissance in Russian literature.
(c) A decrease in censorship.
(d) Intense Slavophilia.
3. When did the Decembrist rebellion take place?
4. What insight did Herzen value in the thinkers who influenced him?
(a) He liked the idea of a spiritual core to human society.
(b) He liked the notion of a godless world motivated by individual actions.
(c) He liked the concept of a clocklike divinity and an ordered universe.
(d) He liked the idea of a total divinity that determined every detail of the universe.
5. What did the Tsar see himself defending the country against?
(a) Atheism, liberalism and revolution.
(b) Anarchist mobs.
(c) Selfish aristocrats.
(d) Reforms in land ownership and use.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writer supported the Tsar's acts?
2. How did the Tsar's political stance change after the Decembrist rebellion?
3. What as Alexander Herzen's employment?
4. How does Berlin describe Herzen's legacy?
5. Who said, "the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing"?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)