|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Herzen and Bakunin on Individual Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Tsar see himself defending the country against?
(a) Reforms in land ownership and use.
(b) Selfish aristocrats.
(c) Atheism, liberalism and revolution.
(d) Anarchist mobs.
2. How did the writer who supported the Tsar present the Tsar's acts?
(a) He justified the aristocracy's use of violence.
(b) He proclaimed the natural rights of man.
(c) He presented even serfdom as divinely ordained.
(d) He denounced the Tsar's opponents.
3. What did Tolstoy believe was the only way to access truth and reason?
(a) Transcendental experience.
(b) Human experience.
(c) Historical awareness.
(d) Spiritual transcendence.
4. What does Berlin say Tolstoy felt guilty about?
(a) Not having an overarching vision.
(b) Having too much insight as an artist.
(c) Having too much wealth as a landowner.
(d) Being too separate from the lives of the peasants.
5. What writer supported the Tsar's acts?
(a) Nikolai Gogol.
(b) Fyodor Dostoevsky.
(c) Alexander Pushkin.
(d) Leo Tolstoy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What as Alexander Herzen's employment?
2. How was the period that followed the Tsar's acts known?
3. Who said, "the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing"?
4. What part of Tolstoy's legacy do critics praise?
5. How does Berlin describe Herzen's legacy?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)