|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Herzen and Bakunin on Individual Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Berlin mean when he says that Tolstoy was a fox who believed in being a hedgehog?
(a) He subscribed to an abstract vision of life, but tried to present life in detail.
(b) He described the moral plan of the universe in symbolic language.
(c) He presented life in detail, but developed an overarching moral vision.
(d) He presented life in detail, with each detail providing evidence of an overarching universal plan.
2. What was the result of Russia's "moral quarantine"?
(a) A renaissance in Russian literature.
(b) Intense Slavophilia.
(c) A decrease in censorship.
(d) Ethnic cleansing of Tartars.
3. What was de Maistre's position?
(a) He was a landowner in Tolstoy's district.
(b) He was the minister in charge of culture in Moscow.
(c) He was an envoy of the kingdom of Savoy to Russia.
(d) He was an attache to the Tsar.
4. When did the Decembrist rebellion take place?
5. What conspiracy against the Tsar did the censorship program discover?
(a) The Moscow threat.
(b) The Decembrists.
(c) The Molotov anarchists.
(d) The Petrashevsky Circle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Tsar see himself defending the country against?
2. What, according to Berlin, did Tolstoy see as futile?
3. What value did Herzen and Bakunin share?
4. According to Berlin, what did Tolstoy have the greatest faith in?
5. How does Berlin describe Herzen's importance?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)