|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Varka see as the enemy in her dream state?
2. What does Paka think of the boys who pass his house on the road?
3. What item of the master's is Varka asked to clean?
4. What is the name of Varka's mother?
5. What does the lieutenant drink when he gets back to the hotel in "Sunstroke"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Masha's condition in "The Cave"?
2. In "In Bondage", what happens during the dinner party of Paka's mother and afterward?
3. What does the doctor say that Varka's father should do in the dream she has while holding the baby?
4. Why does Selikhov come over to Martin Martinych's place?
5. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
6. In "Yuletide Story," what does the doctor think when he goes to the patient's apartment after his aunt tells him he has died?
7. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor think of patients in general?
8. What happens to the narrator and Grishchuk as evening falls in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
9. In "Sunstroke", why is the woman unwilling to continue her relationship with the lieutenant?
10. Why is Varka so tired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bunin describe the woman in "Sunstroke"? What does she look like? What is her nature like? How do these things captivate the lieutenant?
Essay Topic 2
How is it that Varka becomes a nanny to the cobbler's baby? What has happened to her family? How is she treated by the cobbler and his wife?
Essay Topic 3
What is the function of the blue phial in "The Cave"? How does this add to the sense of foreboding in the story? What agreement does Masha hint at about the phial?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)