|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is playing below the window when Martin Martinych comes over to Masha's house while she is playing piano?
2. Where is Dolgushov injured?
3. What does Paka say his name would be if he were a common boy and not a prince?
4. What does the narrator of "Yuletide Story" say has likely caused the doctor's voice to grow husky and cracked?
5. What sort of steamer does the woman take when she leaves the lieutenant in "Sunstroke"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
2. What does Grishchuk say about women and why?
3. What does the doctor say that Varka's father should do in the dream she has while holding the baby?
4. What does Paka believe about the boys he sees passing by his house?
5. In "Yuletide Story," what does the doctor think when he goes to the patient's apartment after his aunt tells him he has died?
6. What happens to Varka's father in the hospital and why?
7. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor think of patients in general?
8. What happens when Varka decides she must be free of what shackles her at the end of Sleepy?
9. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
10. In "Sunstroke", why is the woman unwilling to continue her relationship with the lieutenant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the hussar in Pushkin's "The Stationmaster" cons Dunya and her father into letting him stay there for a few days. What is his ultimate agenda? Is he successful? Why doe they seem to trust him?
Essay Topic 2
Why doesn't the narrator kill Dolgushov in "The Death of Dolgushov"? What does he do instead? What condition is Dolgushov in? Why does he seek death?
Essay Topic 3
What is the social status of the benefactor Laputin in "The Clothesmender"? Why is he so concerned about his social status? How does he react when he is turned away from the Count's door? Why does this bother him so much?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)