|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Yuletide Story", who clears up the story of the middle-aged man for the doctor?
2. What does the aunt of the middle-aged citizen want from the doctor?
3. In "Sunstroke," what river is the steamer traversing when the lieutenant meets the woman he has an attraction to?
4. In "In Bondage," what does Antoshka say the peasants do to each other when they get mad?
5. What item of the master's is Varka asked to clean?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what does a wounded delegate say when Vytyagaichenko is leaving him and the other wounded and how does Vytyagaichenko respond?
2. What does Grishchuk say about women and why?
3. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor think of patients in general?
4. What happens to Varka's father in the hospital and why?
5. What is Masha's condition in "The Cave"?
6. What does Antoshka say when Paka asks why he and his brother laugh all the time?
7. What happens when Varka decides she must be free of what shackles her at the end of Sleepy?
8. What does the doctor say that Varka's father should do in the dream she has while holding the baby?
9. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
10. How are the conditions at the Obertyshevs' place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the function of the blue phial in "The Cave"? How does this add to the sense of foreboding in the story? What agreement does Masha hint at about the phial?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Clothesmender", what is the reason that the tailor Laputin has a French sign calling him Lepoutant? What happens, ironically, to his benefactor of the same name at the end of the story? Why is this ironic?
Essay Topic 3
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya perceive her plight? How does she cope with being alone most of the time? What is her state of mind? How does she sleep? Who visits her and how does she feel about these visits?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)