|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the aunt of the middle-aged citizen want from the doctor?
2. When the couple in "Sunstroke" wakes up in the morning, what does the lieutenant smell in the air?
3. Whom does Varka see as the enemy in her dream state?
4. Where does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" go first to assuage his loneliness for the woman?
5. In "In Bondage," what does Antoshka say the peasants do to each other when they get mad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antoshka say when Paka asks why he and his brother laugh all the time?
2. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
3. What is Masha's condition in "The Cave"?
4. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
5. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
6. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what does a wounded delegate say when Vytyagaichenko is leaving him and the other wounded and how does Vytyagaichenko respond?
7. What does Paka believe about the boys he sees passing by his house?
8. Why is Varka so tired?
9. What happens to the narrator and Grishchuk as evening falls in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
10. Describe the condition Dolgushov is in when he is found. Who has done this to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the social status of the benefactor Laputin in "The Clothesmender"? Why is he so concerned about his social status? How does he react when he is turned away from the Count's door? Why does this bother him so much?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bunin describe the woman in "Sunstroke"? What does she look like? What is her nature like? How do these things captivate the lieutenant?
Essay Topic 3
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya's malady manifest itself? What draws her outside in the middle of the night? What happens as a result? Describe the progression of her illness discussing how she ends up in the bee hut.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)