|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the unshaven porter wearing when the couple disembarks the boat in "Sunstroke"?
2. What does Dolgushov say to use on him when the narrator finds him?
3. What is the name of Varka's late father?
4. Where does Paka tell the boys that he and his mother used to live?
5. What item of the master's is Varka asked to clean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the condition Dolgushov is in when he is found. Who has done this to him?
2. In "Yuletide Story," what does the doctor think when he goes to the patient's apartment after his aunt tells him he has died?
3. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
4. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
5. How are the conditions at the Obertyshevs' place?
6. What does Antoshka say when Paka asks why he and his brother laugh all the time?
7. What happens to the narrator and Grishchuk as evening falls in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
8. What happens when Varka decides she must be free of what shackles her at the end of Sleepy?
9. How do the peasant women treat the lieutenant at the market in "Sunstroke"?
10. How is the doctor in "Yuletide Story" described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the chores Varka has to perform. When does she have time for sleep? What adds to her work at the end, which finally pushes her over the edge? What moral is the story trying to convey?
Essay Topic 2
In "Yuletide Story", why does the narrator call the old woman "the flower of god"? What does she do that causes him to use sarcasm in his description of her?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Death of Dolgushov", what has happened in battle to cause Korochayev's situation? What does Afonka think will happen to him? Why?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)