|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of the master's is Varka asked to clean?
2. For one hour, what is in the cave as a result of the "god"?
3. What does Paka say his name would be if he were a common boy and not a prince?
4. What does Dolgushov do for a job?
5. Which demon does the narrator of "In Bondage" say is a very petty demon, but one of the most dangerous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antoshka say when Paka asks why he and his brother laugh all the time?
2. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor think of patients in general?
3. What happens when Varka decides she must be free of what shackles her at the end of Sleepy?
4. What does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" do when he goes back to the hotel room alone?
5. What does the doctor say that Varka's father should do in the dream she has while holding the baby?
6. In "Sunstroke", why is the woman unwilling to continue her relationship with the lieutenant?
7. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
8. What happens to Varka's father in the hospital and why?
9. In "Yuletide Story," what does the doctor think when he goes to the patient's apartment after his aunt tells him he has died?
10. What does Grishchuk say about women and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Yuletide Story", why does the narrator call the old woman "the flower of god"? What does she do that causes him to use sarcasm in his description of her?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bunin describe the woman in "Sunstroke"? What does she look like? What is her nature like? How do these things captivate the lieutenant?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Major Kovalyov reacts to the situation of his missing nose in Gogol's "The Nose". What does he do for a living? How does he perceive his station in life? What are his biggest fears about his missing nose?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)