|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the aunt put out the candles in "Yuletide Story"?
2. In "Sunstroke", how old is the woman's child?
3. What does the eldest boy call Paka?
4. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who has reached the woods and posted their machine guns nearby?
5. When Paka asked why the boys are armed as they are, who do they say they are?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the conditions at the Obertyshevs' place?
2. What is Masha's condition in "The Cave"?
3. What happens to the narrator and Grishchuk as evening falls in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
4. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
5. What does Zoshchenko write about "Yuletide Story"?
6. In "Yuletide Story," what does the doctor think when he goes to the patient's apartment after his aunt tells him he has died?
7. How do the peasant women treat the lieutenant at the market in "Sunstroke"?
8. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor think of patients in general?
9. In "In Bondage", what happens during the dinner party of Paka's mother and afterward?
10. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what does a wounded delegate say when Vytyagaichenko is leaving him and the other wounded and how does Vytyagaichenko respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What longings torment Paka in "In Bondage" that cause him to want to leave the safety of his normal home life? How does his mother's attitude contribute to this?
Essay Topic 2
How does the situation of Major Kovalyov's missing nose in Gogol's "The Nose" resolve itself? Who is the blamed for the situation? Where is this person caught? Does the Nose eventually appear back onto Major Kovalyov's? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Clothesmender", what is the reason that the tailor Laputin has a French sign calling him Lepoutant? What happens, ironically, to his benefactor of the same name at the end of the story? Why is this ironic?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)