|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who has reached the woods and posted their machine guns nearby?
2. How much does the prescription cost that the doctor issues to the middle-aged citizen in "Yuletide Story"?
3. What does Dolgushov give to the narrator?
4. In front of the Icon in "Sleepy", what color light is burning?
5. What are nurses doing as they lie in the grass in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
2. What does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" do when he goes back to the hotel room alone?
3. How do the peasant women treat the lieutenant at the market in "Sunstroke"?
4. In "Sunstroke", why is the woman unwilling to continue her relationship with the lieutenant?
5. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
6. What happens to Varka's father in the hospital and why?
7. How are the conditions at the Obertyshevs' place?
8. What does the doctor say that Varka's father should do in the dream she has while holding the baby?
9. How is the doctor in "Yuletide Story" described?
10. What does Paka believe about the boys he sees passing by his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya's malady manifest itself? What draws her outside in the middle of the night? What happens as a result? Describe the progression of her illness discussing how she ends up in the bee hut.
Essay Topic 2
How does Bunin describe the woman in "Sunstroke"? What does she look like? What is her nature like? How do these things captivate the lieutenant?
Essay Topic 3
What longings torment Paka in "In Bondage" that cause him to want to leave the safety of his normal home life? How does his mother's attitude contribute to this?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)