|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the woman who comes to the doctor's office in "Yuletide Story" described?
2. What does the house-chairman in "The Cave" jokingly say he prefers when asked if he would like some tea?
3. Where does Paka tell the boys that he and his mother used to live?
4. In front of the Icon in "Sleepy", what color light is burning?
5. How does the aunt put out the candles in "Yuletide Story"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the condition Dolgushov is in when he is found. Who has done this to him?
2. Why is Varka so tired?
3. What happens to Varka's father in the hospital and why?
4. In "Yuletide Story," what does the doctor think when he goes to the patient's apartment after his aunt tells him he has died?
5. What does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" do when he goes back to the hotel room alone?
6. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
7. How is the doctor in "Yuletide Story" described?
8. In "Sunstroke", why is the woman unwilling to continue her relationship with the lieutenant?
9. How do the peasant women treat the lieutenant at the market in "Sunstroke"?
10. In "In Bondage", what happens during the dinner party of Paka's mother and afterward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the hussar in Pushkin's "The Stationmaster" cons Dunya and her father into letting him stay there for a few days. What is his ultimate agenda? Is he successful? Why doe they seem to trust him?
Essay Topic 2
How is it that Varka becomes a nanny to the cobbler's baby? What has happened to her family? How is she treated by the cobbler and his wife?
Essay Topic 3
How does Paka describe what has supposedly happened to his real mother to the three brothers? What do they think of the situation? What do they do about it? What happens as a result of their actions?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)