|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Varka's late father?
2. Where does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" go first to assuage his loneliness for the woman?
3. When Paka asked why the boys are armed as they are, who do they say they are?
4. What does Paka think of the boys who pass his house on the road?
5. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who is the disgraced commander of the Fourth Division?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paka believe about the boys he sees passing by his house?
2. In "Sunstroke", why is the woman unwilling to continue her relationship with the lieutenant?
3. What does the doctor say that Varka's father should do in the dream she has while holding the baby?
4. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
5. What does Antoshka say when Paka asks why he and his brother laugh all the time?
6. What happens to Varka's father in the hospital and why?
7. What does Grishchuk say about women and why?
8. In "In Bondage", what happens during the dinner party of Paka's mother and afterward?
9. What happens when Varka decides she must be free of what shackles her at the end of Sleepy?
10. Why is Varka so tired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tolstoy characterize each of the three hermits in "The Three Hermits"? How do these descriptions obscure the true nature of the power that the hermits have? How is this ironic in light of the Bishop's visit to the island?
Essay Topic 2
How does Paka describe what has supposedly happened to his real mother to the three brothers? What do they think of the situation? What do they do about it? What happens as a result of their actions?
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't the narrator kill Dolgushov in "The Death of Dolgushov"? What does he do instead? What condition is Dolgushov in? Why does he seek death?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)