|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" go first to assuage his loneliness for the woman?
2. What is the fabric the woman on the steamer's dress made of in "Sunstroke"?
3. In "Sunstroke," what river is the steamer traversing when the lieutenant meets the woman he has an attraction to?
4. What is the unshaven porter wearing when the couple disembarks the boat in "Sunstroke"?
5. What does Dolgushov say to use on him when the narrator finds him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
2. What does Antoshka say when Paka asks why he and his brother laugh all the time?
3. In "Yuletide Story," what does the doctor think when he goes to the patient's apartment after his aunt tells him he has died?
4. What does Paka believe about the boys he sees passing by his house?
5. In "Sunstroke", why is the woman unwilling to continue her relationship with the lieutenant?
6. What does the doctor say that Varka's father should do in the dream she has while holding the baby?
7. What happens to Varka's father in the hospital and why?
8. What does Zoshchenko write about "Yuletide Story"?
9. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
10. In "In Bondage", what happens during the dinner party of Paka's mother and afterward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Yuletide Story", why does the narrator call the old woman "the flower of god"? What does she do that causes him to use sarcasm in his description of her?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bunin describe the woman in "Sunstroke"? What does she look like? What is her nature like? How do these things captivate the lieutenant?
Essay Topic 3
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya's malady manifest itself? What draws her outside in the middle of the night? What happens as a result? Describe the progression of her illness discussing how she ends up in the bee hut.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)