|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose scouts are scouring the field looking for the dead and for equipment in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
2. What does Paka say his name would be if he were a common boy and not a prince?
3. How old is Nanny Varka?
4. How does the aunt put out the candles in "Yuletide Story"?
5. What does the doctor forget at the middle-aged citizen's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the narrator and Grishchuk as evening falls in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
2. In "Sunstroke", why is the woman unwilling to continue her relationship with the lieutenant?
3. What does Paka believe about the boys he sees passing by his house?
4. In "In Bondage", what happens during the dinner party of Paka's mother and afterward?
5. What does the doctor say that Varka's father should do in the dream she has while holding the baby?
6. What happens when Varka decides she must be free of what shackles her at the end of Sleepy?
7. What is Masha's condition in "The Cave"?
8. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
9. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what does a wounded delegate say when Vytyagaichenko is leaving him and the other wounded and how does Vytyagaichenko respond?
10. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the social status of the benefactor Laputin in "The Clothesmender"? Why is he so concerned about his social status? How does he react when he is turned away from the Count's door? Why does this bother him so much?
Essay Topic 2
What is Ivan Ivanovich's impression of the scene at the funeral he attends in "Bobok"? What does he say of the mourners? The smell? What is his impression of the faces of the corpses?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the story of the prodigal son on the stationmaster's wall in "The Stationmaster", by Pushkin. How does this allegory relate to the stationmaster's daughter in the main story?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)