|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paka say his name would be if he were a common boy and not a prince?
2. In "In Bondage", where does Paka wish to play?
3. What are nurses doing as they lie in the grass in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
4. How much does the prescription cost that the doctor issues to the middle-aged citizen in "Yuletide Story"?
5. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who has reached the woods and posted their machine guns nearby?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what does a wounded delegate say when Vytyagaichenko is leaving him and the other wounded and how does Vytyagaichenko respond?
2. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
3. How do the peasant women treat the lieutenant at the market in "Sunstroke"?
4. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
5. How is the doctor in "Yuletide Story" described?
6. What does the doctor say that Varka's father should do in the dream she has while holding the baby?
7. In "Sunstroke", why is the woman unwilling to continue her relationship with the lieutenant?
8. What happens to Varka's father in the hospital and why?
9. Describe the condition Dolgushov is in when he is found. Who has done this to him?
10. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Clothesmender", what is the reason that the tailor Laputin has a French sign calling him Lepoutant? What happens, ironically, to his benefactor of the same name at the end of the story? Why is this ironic?
Essay Topic 2
What longings torment Paka in "In Bondage" that cause him to want to leave the safety of his normal home life? How does his mother's attitude contribute to this?
Essay Topic 3
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya's malady manifest itself? What draws her outside in the middle of the night? What happens as a result? Describe the progression of her illness discussing how she ends up in the bee hut.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)