|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dolgushov hand to the troop commander?
2. What sort of eau de cologne scent is left in the hotel by the woman in "Sunstroke"?
3. What does Paka think of the boys who pass his house on the road?
4. In "Sunstroke," what river is the steamer traversing when the lieutenant meets the woman he has an attraction to?
5. Where is Dolgushov injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the doctor in "Yuletide Story" described?
2. How do the peasant women treat the lieutenant at the market in "Sunstroke"?
3. What does Grishchuk say about women and why?
4. In "In Bondage", what happens during the dinner party of Paka's mother and afterward?
5. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what does a wounded delegate say when Vytyagaichenko is leaving him and the other wounded and how does Vytyagaichenko respond?
6. Why is Varka so tired?
7. What does the doctor say that Varka's father should do in the dream she has while holding the baby?
8. How are the conditions at the Obertyshevs' place?
9. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
10. Why does Selikhov come over to Martin Martinych's place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Paka describe what has supposedly happened to his real mother to the three brothers? What do they think of the situation? What do they do about it? What happens as a result of their actions?
Essay Topic 2
What longings torment Paka in "In Bondage" that cause him to want to leave the safety of his normal home life? How does his mother's attitude contribute to this?
Essay Topic 3
What is the function of the blue phial in "The Cave"? How does this add to the sense of foreboding in the story? What agreement does Masha hint at about the phial?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)