|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paka, the wicked fairy got cross with his mother because she hadn't invited her to what?
2. What does Paka consider himself to be?
3. Where is Dolgushov injured?
4. How much does the prescription cost that the doctor issues to the middle-aged citizen in "Yuletide Story"?
5. How is the woman who comes to the doctor's office in "Yuletide Story" described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the condition Dolgushov is in when he is found. Who has done this to him?
2. Why is Varka so tired?
3. What happens when Varka decides she must be free of what shackles her at the end of Sleepy?
4. Why does Selikhov come over to Martin Martinych's place?
5. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor think of patients in general?
6. What does Grishchuk say about women and why?
7. What does Zoshchenko write about "Yuletide Story"?
8. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
9. What does Paka believe about the boys he sees passing by his house?
10. In "In Bondage", what happens during the dinner party of Paka's mother and afterward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is it that Varka becomes a nanny to the cobbler's baby? What has happened to her family? How is she treated by the cobbler and his wife?
Essay Topic 2
How does the situation of Major Kovalyov's missing nose in Gogol's "The Nose" resolve itself? Who is the blamed for the situation? Where is this person caught? Does the Nose eventually appear back onto Major Kovalyov's? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the chores Varka has to perform. When does she have time for sleep? What adds to her work at the end, which finally pushes her over the edge? What moral is the story trying to convey?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)