|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of steamer does the woman take when she leaves the lieutenant in "Sunstroke"?
2. In front of the Icon in "Sleepy", what color light is burning?
3. Martin Martinych's face is as if it is made of clay, like many faces, back to whom?
4. What is the god of the cave-like bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay?
5. Who lives downstairs from Masha and Martin Martinych?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
2. Describe the condition Dolgushov is in when he is found. Who has done this to him?
3. What does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" do when he goes back to the hotel room alone?
4. What happens when Varka decides she must be free of what shackles her at the end of Sleepy?
5. What does Zoshchenko write about "Yuletide Story"?
6. How are the conditions at the Obertyshevs' place?
7. What does Antoshka say when Paka asks why he and his brother laugh all the time?
8. What happens to Varka's father in the hospital and why?
9. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
10. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bunin describe the woman in "Sunstroke"? What does she look like? What is her nature like? How do these things captivate the lieutenant?
Essay Topic 2
In "Yuletide Story", why does the narrator call the old woman "the flower of god"? What does she do that causes him to use sarcasm in his description of her?
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't the narrator kill Dolgushov in "The Death of Dolgushov"? What does he do instead? What condition is Dolgushov in? Why does he seek death?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)