|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the morning, what is Varka asked to do after she lights the stove?
2. What is the name of Varka's mother?
3. How old is Nanny Varka?
4. From where has the woman in "Sunstroke" boarded the steamer?
5. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what city has the enemy been beaten out of in a counterattack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Selikhov come over to Martin Martinych's place?
2. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
3. In "Yuletide Story," what does the doctor think when he goes to the patient's apartment after his aunt tells him he has died?
4. What does Antoshka say when Paka asks why he and his brother laugh all the time?
5. How do the peasant women treat the lieutenant at the market in "Sunstroke"?
6. What happens to the narrator and Grishchuk as evening falls in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
7. What happens when Varka decides she must be free of what shackles her at the end of Sleepy?
8. What is Masha's condition in "The Cave"?
9. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what does a wounded delegate say when Vytyagaichenko is leaving him and the other wounded and how does Vytyagaichenko respond?
10. Why is Varka so tired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is it that Varka becomes a nanny to the cobbler's baby? What has happened to her family? How is she treated by the cobbler and his wife?
Essay Topic 2
In "Yuletide Story", why does the narrator call the old woman "the flower of god"? What does she do that causes him to use sarcasm in his description of her?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the story of the prodigal son on the stationmaster's wall in "The Stationmaster", by Pushkin. How does this allegory relate to the stationmaster's daughter in the main story?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)