|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Sunstroke", how old is the woman's child?
2. What is the occupation of Varka's master?
3. What is the name of Varka's mother?
4. In front of the Icon in "Sleepy", what color light is burning?
5. What is the name of the master's apprentice who snores in "Sleepy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antoshka say when Paka asks why he and his brother laugh all the time?
2. What does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" do when he goes back to the hotel room alone?
3. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
4. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
5. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what does a wounded delegate say when Vytyagaichenko is leaving him and the other wounded and how does Vytyagaichenko respond?
6. In "Yuletide Story," what does the doctor think when he goes to the patient's apartment after his aunt tells him he has died?
7. How do the peasant women treat the lieutenant at the market in "Sunstroke"?
8. What happens when Varka decides she must be free of what shackles her at the end of Sleepy?
9. What does Zoshchenko write about "Yuletide Story"?
10. What does the doctor say that Varka's father should do in the dream she has while holding the baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why doesn't the narrator kill Dolgushov in "The Death of Dolgushov"? What does he do instead? What condition is Dolgushov in? Why does he seek death?
Essay Topic 2
In "Bobok", how does the homespun philosopher, Platon Nikolayevich, explain why the people in the graveyard are still conscious after they die? What qualifies him to speak on the subject? What does he say of the death of the body?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the hussar in Pushkin's "The Stationmaster" cons Dunya and her father into letting him stay there for a few days. What is his ultimate agenda? Is he successful? Why doe they seem to trust him?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)