|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Varka's mother?
2. Which composer's Opus 74 lies on Martin's desk?
3. What does the narrator of "Yuletide Story" say has likely caused the doctor's voice to grow husky and cracked?
4. What does the aunt of the middle-aged citizen want from the doctor?
5. What does the eldest boy call Paka?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Varka's father in the hospital and why?
2. How are the conditions at the Obertyshevs' place?
3. Why is Varka so tired?
4. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
5. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
6. What is Masha's condition in "The Cave"?
7. What happens to the narrator and Grishchuk as evening falls in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
8. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
9. What happens when Varka decides she must be free of what shackles her at the end of Sleepy?
10. What does Grishchuk say about women and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya perceive her plight? How does she cope with being alone most of the time? What is her state of mind? How does she sleep? Who visits her and how does she feel about these visits?
Essay Topic 2
What is Ivan Ivanovich's impression of the scene at the funeral he attends in "Bobok"? What does he say of the mourners? The smell? What is his impression of the faces of the corpses?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Clothesmender", what is the reason that the tailor Laputin has a French sign calling him Lepoutant? What happens, ironically, to his benefactor of the same name at the end of the story? Why is this ironic?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)