|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lukerya make the wreath out of in her dreams?
2. To where does the police officer who brings Major Kovalyov's nose back to him, say he has to go when he is offered a cup of tea?
3. What street does the barber Ivan Yakovlevich live on?
4. What color is the water in the cemetery that is being baled out with a dipper by the gravedigger in "Bobok"?
5. What is painted into his portrait that vexes Ivan Ivanovich?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ivan Ivanovich think of the administrative news he hears the dead people talking about?
2. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
3. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
4. After discouragement from the newspaper and the district police inspector, how does Major Kovalyov feel when he gets home?
5. How does Major Kovalyov decide to approach his nose at the Kazan Cathedral and how does the Nose react?
6. What does Lukerya say to Pyotr Petrovich about patience?
7. What is Ivan Ivanovich's impression of the voices coming from the graves when he first hears them?
8. How does Pyotr Petrovich interpret Lukerya's face when he encounters her in the bee hut?
9. What happens when the stationmaster arrives in Petersburg?
10. What happens as the Bishop returns to the ship in "The Three Hermits"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bunin describe the woman in "Sunstroke"? What does she look like? What is her nature like? How do these things captivate the lieutenant?
Essay Topic 2
What is the social status of the benefactor Laputin in "The Clothesmender"? Why is he so concerned about his social status? How does he react when he is turned away from the Count's door? Why does this bother him so much?
Essay Topic 3
How is it that Varka becomes a nanny to the cobbler's baby? What has happened to her family? How is she treated by the cobbler and his wife?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)