|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pushkin describe the stationmaster?
2. Where does the hussar pretend he is taking the stationmaster's daughter when he abducts her?
3. Where does Lukerya lead the singing when she is young?
4. What does the Bishop suggest that the three hermits have heard of when he is teaching them to pray?
5. With what does Ivan Ivanovich begin his thinking appropriate thoughts while sitting on the tombstone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two different types of collegiate assessors?
2. After discouragement from the newspaper and the district police inspector, how does Major Kovalyov feel when he gets home?
3. How does Praskovya Osipovna react when Ivan Yakovlevich finds a nose in his loaf of bread?
4. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
5. What happens when the narrator of "The Clothesmender" and the gossip are walking to the tailor's house to inspect the room?
6. How is the stationmaster treated by most travelers?
7. What reason do some people that know of Lukerya give for her illness?
8. Why do the three hermits walk on water and chase the ship?
9. What does Lukerya say to Pyotr Petrovich about patience?
10. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the function of the blue phial in "The Cave"? How does this add to the sense of foreboding in the story? What agreement does Masha hint at about the phial?
Essay Topic 2
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya perceive her plight? How does she cope with being alone most of the time? What is her state of mind? How does she sleep? Who visits her and how does she feel about these visits?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bunin describe the woman in "Sunstroke"? What does she look like? What is her nature like? How do these things captivate the lieutenant?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)