|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who must be asked before the Bishop can visit the three hermits?
2. Gogol says that people of the capital have shown an interest in experiments with the effects of _____.
3. Gogol describes the doctor that Major Kovalyov goes to see as having pitch-black _____.
4. What is the last thing Lukerya asks of Pyotr Petrovich?
5. What do the three hermits live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. After discouragement from the newspaper and the district police inspector, how does Major Kovalyov feel when he gets home?
2. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
3. According to the Bishop in "The Three Hermits", how does God reveal himself to men?
4. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
5. How does Major Kovalyov try to obscure his missing nose when he goes into the coffee house and when he leaves?
6. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
7. When does Lukerya die and what does she say about the sounds she hears?
8. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
9. How does Dunya's father react to the hussar's asking if he can take her to church?
10. What has Platon Nikolayevich apparently said about the stench in the graveyard that is perceived by the dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tolstoy characterize each of the three hermits in "The Three Hermits"? How do these descriptions obscure the true nature of the power that the hermits have? How is this ironic in light of the Bishop's visit to the island?
Essay Topic 2
How does the situation of Major Kovalyov's missing nose in Gogol's "The Nose" resolve itself? Who is the blamed for the situation? Where is this person caught? Does the Nose eventually appear back onto Major Kovalyov's? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
What is Ivan Ivanovich's impression of the scene at the funeral he attends in "Bobok"? What does he say of the mourners? The smell? What is his impression of the faces of the corpses?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)