|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ivan Yakovlevich go to dispose of the nose he finds in his bread?
2. What street does the barber Ivan Yakovlevich live on?
3. What is the real last name of the occupant of Room One in "The Clothesmender"?
4. What does Lukerya ask Pyotr Petrovich if he remembers as he is leaving the bee hut?
5. How does Pushkin describe the stationmaster?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
2. What has Platon Nikolayevich apparently said about the stench in the graveyard that is perceived by the dead?
3. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
4. What happens to the narrator and Grishchuk as evening falls in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
5. How do the peasant women treat the lieutenant at the market in "Sunstroke"?
6. What does Grishchuk say about women and why?
7. What does Ivan Ivanovich think of the administrative news he hears the dead people talking about?
8. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
9. How does Dunya react to meeting the narrator in "The Stationmaster"?
10. In "In Bondage", what happens during the dinner party of Paka's mother and afterward?
Essay Topic 1
How does Tolstoy characterize each of the three hermits in "The Three Hermits"? How do these descriptions obscure the true nature of the power that the hermits have? How is this ironic in light of the Bishop's visit to the island?
Essay Topic 2
What is Ivan Ivanovich's impression of the scene at the funeral he attends in "Bobok"? What does he say of the mourners? The smell? What is his impression of the faces of the corpses?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the hussar in Pushkin's "The Stationmaster" cons Dunya and her father into letting him stay there for a few days. What is his ultimate agenda? Is he successful? Why doe they seem to trust him?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)