|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lukerya taken when the weather gets cold?
2. What is the stationmaster's name?
3. What does the occupant of Room One from the beginning of "The Clothesmender" do when the tailor tries to comfort him at the end of the story?
4. What is the French name of the tailor?
5. What is the real last name of the occupant of Room One in "The Clothesmender"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Praskovya Osipovna react when Ivan Yakovlevich finds a nose in his loaf of bread?
2. What does Pyotr Petrovich say about hunting in the rain?
3. Describe the character of the wife of Laputin, the benefactor in "The Clothesmender".
4. After discouragement from the newspaper and the district police inspector, how does Major Kovalyov feel when he gets home?
5. What are the two different types of collegiate assessors?
6. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
7. What does Ivan Ivanovich think of the administrative news he hears the dead people talking about?
8. In "The Three Hermits", why is the Bishop still awake after everyone goes back to sleep?
9. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
10. What does Lukerya say to Pyotr Petrovich about patience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Yuletide Story", why does the narrator call the old woman "the flower of god"? What does she do that causes him to use sarcasm in his description of her?
Essay Topic 2
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya perceive her plight? How does she cope with being alone most of the time? What is her state of mind? How does she sleep? Who visits her and how does she feel about these visits?
Essay Topic 3
How is it that Varka becomes a nanny to the cobbler's baby? What has happened to her family? How is she treated by the cobbler and his wife?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)