|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the orphan girl bring to Lukerya when she drops by?
2. What story is depicted on the stationmaster's wall?
3. What jewelry is often given to the stationmaster's daughter by ladies who pass through the station?
4. In "The Nose", who is the head clerk in the Senate?
5. Who must be asked before the Bishop can visit the three hermits?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
2. How does Dunya react to meeting the narrator in "The Stationmaster"?
3. How is the stationmaster treated by most travelers?
4. In "The Three Hermits", why is the Bishop still awake after everyone goes back to sleep?
5. What are the two trials the tailor experiences that lead him to his eventual good fortune in "The Clothesmender"?
6. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
7. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
8. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
9. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
10. In "The Stationmaster", what is the narrator's main concern when he arrives at station X?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why doesn't the narrator kill Dolgushov in "The Death of Dolgushov"? What does he do instead? What condition is Dolgushov in? Why does he seek death?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the chores Varka has to perform. When does she have time for sleep? What adds to her work at the end, which finally pushes her over the edge? What moral is the story trying to convey?
Essay Topic 3
In "Yuletide Story", why does the narrator call the old woman "the flower of god"? What does she do that causes him to use sarcasm in his description of her?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)