|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lukerya lead the singing when she is young?
2. In "The Stationmaster," what is the traveler wearing who appears at the station three years before the narrator's second visit?
3. In "The Nose", who is the head clerk in the Senate?
4. Who does the woman in the story that Lukerya tells Pyotr Petrovich chase away beyond the sea?
5. In "The Clothesmender," what is the tailor's real last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the narrator and Grishchuk as evening falls in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
2. How is the doctor in "Yuletide Story" described?
3. What does Antoshka say when Paka asks why he and his brother laugh all the time?
4. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
5. What reason do some people that know of Lukerya give for her illness?
6. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
7. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
8. Describe the character of the wife of Laputin, the benefactor in "The Clothesmender".
9. How do the peasant women treat the lieutenant at the market in "Sunstroke"?
10. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Clothesmender", what is the reason that the tailor Laputin has a French sign calling him Lepoutant? What happens, ironically, to his benefactor of the same name at the end of the story? Why is this ironic?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the story of the prodigal son on the stationmaster's wall in "The Stationmaster", by Pushkin. How does this allegory relate to the stationmaster's daughter in the main story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Paka describe what has supposedly happened to his real mother to the three brothers? What do they think of the situation? What do they do about it? What happens as a result of their actions?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)