|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the police inspector prefer to everything else in "The Nose"?
2. What is the stationmaster's name?
3. Whom does the tailor in "The Clothesmender" marry?
4. How is Ivan Ivanovich described by the painter who exhibits his portrait?
5. What does the Bishop offer the Captain in return for going to the island where the three hermits live?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Stationmaster", what is the narrator's main concern when he arrives at station X?
2. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
3. How does Major Kovalyov try to obscure his missing nose when he goes into the coffee house and when he leaves?
4. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
5. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
6. How does Praskovya Osipovna react when Ivan Yakovlevich finds a nose in his loaf of bread?
7. After discouragement from the newspaper and the district police inspector, how does Major Kovalyov feel when he gets home?
8. In "The Clothesmender", who stays at the hotel opposite the Governor-General's house and why?
9. Who visits the stationmaster's grave at the end of the story and what does he realize?
10. In "Yuletide Story," what does the doctor think when he goes to the patient's apartment after his aunt tells him he has died?
Essay Topic 1
In "The Clothesmender", what is the reason that the tailor Laputin has a French sign calling him Lepoutant? What happens, ironically, to his benefactor of the same name at the end of the story? Why is this ironic?
Essay Topic 2
In "Bobok", how does the homespun philosopher, Platon Nikolayevich, explain why the people in the graveyard are still conscious after they die? What qualifies him to speak on the subject? What does he say of the death of the body?
Essay Topic 3
In "Yuletide Story", why does the narrator call the old woman "the flower of god"? What does she do that causes him to use sarcasm in his description of her?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)