|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is painted on the sign by the gate in "The Clothesmender"?
2. Who in the church suggests a place for the narrator to live in "The Clothesmender"?
3. Where does "The Clothesmender" take place?
4. What does the occupant of Room One from the beginning of "The Clothesmender" do when the tailor tries to comfort him at the end of the story?
5. Who turns out to be following the ship the Bishop is on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does talking have on Lukerya when she is telling Pyotr Petrovich about her life?
2. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
3. How is the stationmaster treated by most travelers?
4. What happens when the narrator of "The Clothesmender" and the gossip are walking to the tailor's house to inspect the room?
5. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
6. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
7. Who visits the stationmaster's grave at the end of the story and what does he realize?
8. What are the two trials the tailor experiences that lead him to his eventual good fortune in "The Clothesmender"?
9. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
10. What are the two different types of collegiate assessors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is it that Varka becomes a nanny to the cobbler's baby? What has happened to her family? How is she treated by the cobbler and his wife?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Death of Dolgushov", what has happened in battle to cause Korochayev's situation? What does Afonka think will happen to him? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does the situation of Major Kovalyov's missing nose in Gogol's "The Nose" resolve itself? Who is the blamed for the situation? Where is this person caught? Does the Nose eventually appear back onto Major Kovalyov's? If so, how?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)