|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gogol describes the doctor that Major Kovalyov goes to see as having pitch-black _____.
2. Where is the narrator in "The Stationmaster" traveling in May 1816?
3. What is painted on the sign by the gate in "The Clothesmender"?
4. In "The Clothesmender," what does the tailor's grandfather sell?
5. What does the Bishop offer the Captain in return for going to the island where the three hermits live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
2. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
3. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
4. When does Lukerya die and what does she say about the sounds she hears?
5. What does Lukerya say to Pyotr Petrovich about patience?
6. In "The Clothesmender", who stays at the hotel opposite the Governor-General's house and why?
7. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
8. What does the doctor say about Major Kovalyov's missing nose?
9. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
10. What effect does talking have on Lukerya when she is telling Pyotr Petrovich about her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why doesn't the narrator kill Dolgushov in "The Death of Dolgushov"? What does he do instead? What condition is Dolgushov in? Why does he seek death?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tolstoy characterize each of the three hermits in "The Three Hermits"? How do these descriptions obscure the true nature of the power that the hermits have? How is this ironic in light of the Bishop's visit to the island?
Essay Topic 3
In "Bobok", how does the homespun philosopher, Platon Nikolayevich, explain why the people in the graveyard are still conscious after they die? What qualifies him to speak on the subject? What does he say of the death of the body?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)