|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Three Hermits", where is the Bishop sailing from?
2. What does the occupant of Room One from the beginning of "The Clothesmender" do when the tailor tries to comfort him at the end of the story?
3. What does Ivan Ivanovich do that causes the corpses to go silent?
4. What is the weather like when the ship sets sail in "The Three Hermits"?
5. What language are the verses in that tell the story on the stationmaster's wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ivan Ivanovich's impression of the voices coming from the graves when he first hears them?
2. How does Dunya's father react to the hussar's asking if he can take her to church?
3. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
4. What are the two trials the tailor experiences that lead him to his eventual good fortune in "The Clothesmender"?
5. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
6. Why do the three hermits walk on water and chase the ship?
7. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
8. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
9. What does Pyotr Petrovich say about hunting in the rain?
10. How does Dunya react to meeting the narrator in "The Stationmaster"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the hussar in Pushkin's "The Stationmaster" cons Dunya and her father into letting him stay there for a few days. What is his ultimate agenda? Is he successful? Why doe they seem to trust him?
Essay Topic 2
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya's malady manifest itself? What draws her outside in the middle of the night? What happens as a result? Describe the progression of her illness discussing how she ends up in the bee hut.
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't the narrator kill Dolgushov in "The Death of Dolgushov"? What does he do instead? What condition is Dolgushov in? Why does he seek death?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)