|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the three hermits live in?
2. Who else is on the ship besides the Bishop in "The Three Hermits"?
3. What jewelry is often given to the stationmaster's daughter by ladies who pass through the station?
4. Where is the narrator in "The Stationmaster" traveling in May 1816?
5. In "Bobok", among the palls at the cemetery, there were also two _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pyotr Petrovich interpret Lukerya's face when he encounters her in the bee hut?
2. What reason do some people that know of Lukerya give for her illness?
3. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
4. Who visits the stationmaster's grave at the end of the story and what does he realize?
5. In "The Stationmaster", what is the narrator's main concern when he arrives at station X?
6. How does Praskovya Osipovna react when Ivan Yakovlevich finds a nose in his loaf of bread?
7. What happens as the Bishop returns to the ship in "The Three Hermits"?
8. What happens when the stationmaster arrives in Petersburg?
9. What effect does talking have on Lukerya when she is telling Pyotr Petrovich about her life?
10. In "The Clothesmender", who stays at the hotel opposite the Governor-General's house and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Paka describe what has supposedly happened to his real mother to the three brothers? What do they think of the situation? What do they do about it? What happens as a result of their actions?
Essay Topic 2
In "Bobok", how does the homespun philosopher, Platon Nikolayevich, explain why the people in the graveyard are still conscious after they die? What qualifies him to speak on the subject? What does he say of the death of the body?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the chores Varka has to perform. When does she have time for sleep? What adds to her work at the end, which finally pushes her over the edge? What moral is the story trying to convey?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)