|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a friend of Ivan Ivanovich's say he thirsts to feel?
2. To where does the police officer who brings Major Kovalyov's nose back to him, say he has to go when he is offered a cup of tea?
3. What does a friend who stops by Ivan Ivanovich's place say of his writing style?
4. When confronted by Major Kovalyov, what line of work does the nose say he is in?
5. In "Bobok", among the palls at the cemetery, there were also two _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
2. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
3. When does Lukerya die and what does she say about the sounds she hears?
4. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
5. How does Praskovya Osipovna react when Ivan Yakovlevich finds a nose in his loaf of bread?
6. What happens as the Bishop returns to the ship in "The Three Hermits"?
7. How does Major Kovalyov decide to approach his nose at the Kazan Cathedral and how does the Nose react?
8. What has Platon Nikolayevich apparently said about the stench in the graveyard that is perceived by the dead?
9. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
10. What are the two different types of collegiate assessors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the chores Varka has to perform. When does she have time for sleep? What adds to her work at the end, which finally pushes her over the edge? What moral is the story trying to convey?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the hussar in Pushkin's "The Stationmaster" cons Dunya and her father into letting him stay there for a few days. What is his ultimate agenda? Is he successful? Why doe they seem to trust him?
Essay Topic 3
In "Yuletide Story", why does the narrator call the old woman "the flower of god"? What does she do that causes him to use sarcasm in his description of her?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)