|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name given to the station where the stationmaster and his daughter live?
2. What is the name of the priest who comes to see Lukerya?
3. What does the Bishop teach the three hermits to recite?
4. What street does the barber Ivan Yakovlevich live on?
5. Who is the governor-general of Moscow at the time "The Clothesmender" takes place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits the stationmaster's grave at the end of the story and what does he realize?
2. What is Ivan Ivanovich's impression of the voices coming from the graves when he first hears them?
3. How does Pyotr Petrovich interpret Lukerya's face when he encounters her in the bee hut?
4. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
5. What happens when the stationmaster arrives in Petersburg?
6. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
7. What are the two trials the tailor experiences that lead him to his eventual good fortune in "The Clothesmender"?
8. Why do the three hermits walk on water and chase the ship?
9. What does Pyotr Petrovich say about hunting in the rain?
10. What does Ivan Ivanovich think of the administrative news he hears the dead people talking about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What longings torment Paka in "In Bondage" that cause him to want to leave the safety of his normal home life? How does his mother's attitude contribute to this?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tolstoy characterize each of the three hermits in "The Three Hermits"? How do these descriptions obscure the true nature of the power that the hermits have? How is this ironic in light of the Bishop's visit to the island?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the chores Varka has to perform. When does she have time for sleep? What adds to her work at the end, which finally pushes her over the edge? What moral is the story trying to convey?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)