|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where is Ivan Yakovlevich trying to escape when he is apprehended by the police?
2. Who else is on the ship besides the Bishop in "The Three Hermits"?
3. In "The Nose", who is the head clerk in the Senate?
4. What do the three hermits live in?
5. What story is depicted on the stationmaster's wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pyotr Petrovich say about hunting in the rain?
2. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
3. How is the stationmaster treated by most travelers?
4. What effect does talking have on Lukerya when she is telling Pyotr Petrovich about her life?
5. In "The Stationmaster", what is the narrator's main concern when he arrives at station X?
6. What does Ivan Ivanovich think of the administrative news he hears the dead people talking about?
7. What reason do some people that know of Lukerya give for her illness?
8. Why do the three hermits walk on water and chase the ship?
9. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
10. What happens when the narrator of "The Clothesmender" and the gossip are walking to the tailor's house to inspect the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bunin describe the woman in "Sunstroke"? What does she look like? What is her nature like? How do these things captivate the lieutenant?
Essay Topic 2
In "Yuletide Story", why does the narrator call the old woman "the flower of god"? What does she do that causes him to use sarcasm in his description of her?
Essay Topic 3
In "Bobok", how does the homespun philosopher, Platon Nikolayevich, explain why the people in the graveyard are still conscious after they die? What qualifies him to speak on the subject? What does he say of the death of the body?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)