|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lukerya say has great patience when Pyotr Petrovich compliments her on her own patience?
2. To what variety of collegiate assessors does Major Kovalyov belong?
3. The clerk at the newspaper office says that the loss of Major Kovalyov's nose is (a) _____ business.
4. How do the three hermits greet the Bishop when he lands on their island?
5. Where does Lukerya lead the singing when she is young?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of the wife of Laputin, the benefactor in "The Clothesmender".
2. How does Major Kovalyov decide to approach his nose at the Kazan Cathedral and how does the Nose react?
3. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
4. What does Ivan Ivanovich think of the administrative news he hears the dead people talking about?
5. In "The Stationmaster", what is the narrator's main concern when he arrives at station X?
6. What does Pyotr Petrovich say about hunting in the rain?
7. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
8. What are the two different types of collegiate assessors?
9. How does Pyotr Petrovich interpret Lukerya's face when he encounters her in the bee hut?
10. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Paka describe what has supposedly happened to his real mother to the three brothers? What do they think of the situation? What do they do about it? What happens as a result of their actions?
Essay Topic 2
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya perceive her plight? How does she cope with being alone most of the time? What is her state of mind? How does she sleep? Who visits her and how does she feel about these visits?
Essay Topic 3
What is the social status of the benefactor Laputin in "The Clothesmender"? Why is he so concerned about his social status? How does he react when he is turned away from the Count's door? Why does this bother him so much?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)