|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Bishop teach the three hermits to recite?
2. Who does Lukerya say has great patience when Pyotr Petrovich compliments her on her own patience?
3. Who wants Major Kovalyov to marry her daughter?
4. Major Kovalyov's face is described as ____ where his nose used to be.
5. Who turns out to be following the ship the Bishop is on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
2. Why do the three hermits walk on water and chase the ship?
3. What does the doctor say about Major Kovalyov's missing nose?
4. How does Major Kovalyov try to obscure his missing nose when he goes into the coffee house and when he leaves?
5. Who visits the stationmaster's grave at the end of the story and what does he realize?
6. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
7. What does Pyotr Petrovich say about hunting in the rain?
8. How does Pyotr Petrovich interpret Lukerya's face when he encounters her in the bee hut?
9. How does Dunya react to meeting the narrator in "The Stationmaster"?
10. After discouragement from the newspaper and the district police inspector, how does Major Kovalyov feel when he gets home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Paka describe what has supposedly happened to his real mother to the three brothers? What do they think of the situation? What do they do about it? What happens as a result of their actions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Major Kovalyov reacts to the situation of his missing nose in Gogol's "The Nose". What does he do for a living? How does he perceive his station in life? What are his biggest fears about his missing nose?
Essay Topic 3
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya perceive her plight? How does she cope with being alone most of the time? What is her state of mind? How does she sleep? Who visits her and how does she feel about these visits?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)