|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Bishop offer the Captain in return for going to the island where the three hermits live?
2. What jewelry is often given to the stationmaster's daughter by ladies who pass through the station?
3. Who chokes on a chicken bone and dies that owned the house before the tailor?
4. To where is Ivan Yakovlevich trying to escape when he is apprehended by the police?
5. Where is the stationmaster's daughter living with Captain Minsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
2. What happens when the stationmaster arrives in Petersburg?
3. How does Pyotr Petrovich interpret Lukerya's face when he encounters her in the bee hut?
4. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
5. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
6. What reason do some people that know of Lukerya give for her illness?
7. When does Lukerya die and what does she say about the sounds she hears?
8. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
9. How does Major Kovalyov try to obscure his missing nose when he goes into the coffee house and when he leaves?
10. What does Ivan Ivanovich think of the administrative news he hears the dead people talking about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Major Kovalyov reacts to the situation of his missing nose in Gogol's "The Nose". What does he do for a living? How does he perceive his station in life? What are his biggest fears about his missing nose?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Clothesmender", what is the reason that the tailor Laputin has a French sign calling him Lepoutant? What happens, ironically, to his benefactor of the same name at the end of the story? Why is this ironic?
Essay Topic 3
In "Bobok", how does the homespun philosopher, Platon Nikolayevich, explain why the people in the graveyard are still conscious after they die? What qualifies him to speak on the subject? What does he say of the death of the body?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)