|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Major Kovalyov give the police officer as he is leaving?
2. What is the name of a type of Russian carriage?
3. What story is depicted on the stationmaster's wall?
4. What does the tailor call his wife in "The Clothesmender"?
5. What does the narrator hope will loosen the stationmaster's tongue with regard to the whereabouts of his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
2. How does Major Kovalyov decide to approach his nose at the Kazan Cathedral and how does the Nose react?
3. How is the stationmaster treated by most travelers?
4. Why do the three hermits walk on water and chase the ship?
5. What happens as the Bishop returns to the ship in "The Three Hermits"?
6. How does Dunya react to meeting the narrator in "The Stationmaster"?
7. In "The Stationmaster", what is the narrator's main concern when he arrives at station X?
8. When does Lukerya die and what does she say about the sounds she hears?
9. How does Pyotr Petrovich interpret Lukerya's face when he encounters her in the bee hut?
10. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bunin describe the woman in "Sunstroke"? What does she look like? What is her nature like? How do these things captivate the lieutenant?
Essay Topic 2
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya's malady manifest itself? What draws her outside in the middle of the night? What happens as a result? Describe the progression of her illness discussing how she ends up in the bee hut.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Clothesmender", what is the reason that the tailor Laputin has a French sign calling him Lepoutant? What happens, ironically, to his benefactor of the same name at the end of the story? Why is this ironic?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)