|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the type of small wattle shed or hut that Pyotr Petrovich finds next to the bee-garden?
2. Where is the Bishop sailing to in "The Three Hermits"?
3. What is painted on the sign by the gate in "The Clothesmender"?
4. To what variety of collegiate assessors does Major Kovalyov belong?
5. What is the French name of the tailor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits the stationmaster's grave at the end of the story and what does he realize?
2. After discouragement from the newspaper and the district police inspector, how does Major Kovalyov feel when he gets home?
3. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
4. What reason do some people that know of Lukerya give for her illness?
5. What does the doctor say about Major Kovalyov's missing nose?
6. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
7. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
8. What happens when the narrator of "The Clothesmender" and the gossip are walking to the tailor's house to inspect the room?
9. In "The Three Hermits", why is the Bishop still awake after everyone goes back to sleep?
10. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tolstoy characterize each of the three hermits in "The Three Hermits"? How do these descriptions obscure the true nature of the power that the hermits have? How is this ironic in light of the Bishop's visit to the island?
Essay Topic 2
What is the function of the blue phial in "The Cave"? How does this add to the sense of foreboding in the story? What agreement does Masha hint at about the phial?
Essay Topic 3
What is the social status of the benefactor Laputin in "The Clothesmender"? Why is he so concerned about his social status? How does he react when he is turned away from the Count's door? Why does this bother him so much?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)