|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whose funeral does Ivan Ivanovich go in "Bobok"?
2. What does Ivan Yakovlevich want for breakfast when he wakes up on March 25th?
3. What does the Bishop think is speeding toward his ship?
4. What does the occupant of Room One from the beginning of "The Clothesmender" do when the tailor tries to comfort him at the end of the story?
5. What does the police inspector prefer to everything else in "The Nose"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Three Hermits", why is the Bishop still awake after everyone goes back to sleep?
2. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
3. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
4. What does Pyotr Petrovich say about hunting in the rain?
5. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
6. In "The Stationmaster", what is the narrator's main concern when he arrives at station X?
7. How is the stationmaster treated by most travelers?
8. Why do the three hermits walk on water and chase the ship?
9. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
10. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Death of Dolgushov", what has happened in battle to cause Korochayev's situation? What does Afonka think will happen to him? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bunin describe the woman in "Sunstroke"? What does she look like? What is her nature like? How do these things captivate the lieutenant?
Essay Topic 3
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya's malady manifest itself? What draws her outside in the middle of the night? What happens as a result? Describe the progression of her illness discussing how she ends up in the bee hut.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)