|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Three Hermits", where is the Bishop sailing from?
2. In "Bobok", among the palls at the cemetery, there were also two _____.
3. What does a friend who stops by Ivan Ivanovich's place say of his writing style?
4. What does Major Kovalyov give the police officer as he is leaving?
5. Who in the church suggests a place for the narrator to live in "The Clothesmender"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
2. What does Zoshchenko write about "Yuletide Story"?
3. How does Zamyatin describe the bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay in "The Cave"?
4. What does Lukerya say to Pyotr Petrovich about patience?
5. What are the two different types of collegiate assessors?
6. What is Masha's condition in "The Cave"?
7. How is the doctor in "Yuletide Story" described?
8. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor think of patients in general?
9. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
10. How does Major Kovalyov decide to approach his nose at the Kazan Cathedral and how does the Nose react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Ivan Ivanovich's impression of the scene at the funeral he attends in "Bobok"? What does he say of the mourners? The smell? What is his impression of the faces of the corpses?
Essay Topic 2
How does Paka describe what has supposedly happened to his real mother to the three brothers? What do they think of the situation? What do they do about it? What happens as a result of their actions?
Essay Topic 3
In "Bobok", how does the homespun philosopher, Platon Nikolayevich, explain why the people in the graveyard are still conscious after they die? What qualifies him to speak on the subject? What does he say of the death of the body?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)