|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who chokes on a chicken bone and dies that owned the house before the tailor?
2. What grade is the stationmaster?
3. What language are the verses in that tell the story on the stationmaster's wall?
4. What is painted on the sign by the gate in "The Clothesmender"?
5. How are the three hermits described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits the stationmaster's grave at the end of the story and what does he realize?
2. What does Zoshchenko write about "Yuletide Story"?
3. What happens as the Bishop returns to the ship in "The Three Hermits"?
4. What does Grishchuk say about women and why?
5. In "In Bondage", what happens during the dinner party of Paka's mother and afterward?
6. What is Masha's condition in "The Cave"?
7. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
8. How does Dunya's father react to the hussar's asking if he can take her to church?
9. What is Ivan Ivanovich's impression of the voices coming from the graves when he first hears them?
10. How is the doctor in "Yuletide Story" described?
Essay Topic 1
In "The Death of Dolgushov", what has happened in battle to cause Korochayev's situation? What does Afonka think will happen to him? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya's malady manifest itself? What draws her outside in the middle of the night? What happens as a result? Describe the progression of her illness discussing how she ends up in the bee hut.
Essay Topic 3
What is the function of the blue phial in "The Cave"? How does this add to the sense of foreboding in the story? What agreement does Masha hint at about the phial?
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)