|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Lukerya betrothed when she is a young girl?
2. What does the tailor's new wife say she will bring to the marriage in "The Clothesmender"?
3. The clerk at the newspaper office says that the loss of Major Kovalyov's nose is (a) _____ business.
4. Whom does Lukerya's betrothed eventually marry?
5. Who turns out to be following the ship the Bishop is on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits the stationmaster's grave at the end of the story and what does he realize?
2. In "The Three Hermits", why is the Bishop still awake after everyone goes back to sleep?
3. What does Ivan Ivanovich think of the administrative news he hears the dead people talking about?
4. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
5. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
6. How does Dunya react to meeting the narrator in "The Stationmaster"?
7. What are the two different types of collegiate assessors?
8. What happens when the stationmaster arrives in Petersburg?
9. How does Pyotr Petrovich interpret Lukerya's face when he encounters her in the bee hut?
10. In "The Stationmaster", what is the narrator's main concern when he arrives at station X?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the hussar in Pushkin's "The Stationmaster" cons Dunya and her father into letting him stay there for a few days. What is his ultimate agenda? Is he successful? Why doe they seem to trust him?
Essay Topic 2
In "A Living Relic", how does Lukerya's malady manifest itself? What draws her outside in the middle of the night? What happens as a result? Describe the progression of her illness discussing how she ends up in the bee hut.
Essay Topic 3
In "Yuletide Story", why does the narrator call the old woman "the flower of god"? What does she do that causes him to use sarcasm in his description of her?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)