|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the wife of Martin Martinych's downstairs neighbor hide under a napkin when he comes into their room?
(a) A bowl.
(b) A coal.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A coin.
2. What is the name of Varka's late father?
(a) Efim Stepanych.
(b) Fyodor Laputin.
(c) Vasily Konych.
(d) Anton Strapovich.
3. What does Paka see on the eldest boy that surprises him?
(a) A long scar.
(b) A gold watch.
(c) A school badge.
(d) A long braid.
4. In "Sunstroke," what river is the steamer traversing when the lieutenant meets the woman he has an attraction to?
(a) The Danube.
(b) The Neva.
(c) The Volga.
(d) The Svir.
5. What is the specialty of the doctor in "Yuletide Story"?
(b) Veterinary medicine.
(c) Head and spinal injuries.
(d) Internal and children's diseases.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is charged with watching over Paka?
2. Who lives downstairs from Masha and Martin Martinych?
3. What does Dolgushov hand to the troop commander?
4. What is the name of the house-chairman who comes over to Martin Martinych's place at dusk?
5. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant hear in the cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Varka's father in the hospital and why?
2. How are the conditions at the Obertyshevs' place?
3. How do the peasant women treat the lieutenant at the market in "Sunstroke"?
4. Why is Varka so tired?
5. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor think of patients in general?
6. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
7. What does Paka believe about the boys he sees passing by his house?
8. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what does a wounded delegate say when Vytyagaichenko is leaving him and the other wounded and how does Vytyagaichenko respond?
9. Why does Selikhov come over to Martin Martinych's place?
10. What is Masha's condition in "The Cave"?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)