|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paka consider himself to be?
(a) A frog.
(b) A prince.
(c) A knight.
(d) A dog.
2. What does Paka think of the boys who pass his house on the road?
(a) They are rich.
(b) They are lucky.
(c) They are stupid.
(d) They are sick.
3. When the guests come to the house, in "Sleepy" what is Varka asked to run and get from the store?
(a) Three bottles of beer.
(b) A wheel of cheese.
(c) Some lamb.
(d) Two jars of pickles.
4. What is the god of the cave-like bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay?
(a) A chest of jewels.
(b) A telephone.
(c) A cast-iron stove.
(d) The bed.
5. How much does the prescription cost that the doctor issues to the middle-aged citizen in "Yuletide Story"?
(a) A head cheese.
(b) Two rubles.
(c) Seventy kopeks.
(d) Forty kopeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the eldest boy call Paka?
2. In "Yuletide Story", who clears up the story of the middle-aged man for the doctor?
3. What does Paka see on the eldest boy that surprises him?
4. What is the unshaven porter wearing when the couple disembarks the boat in "Sunstroke"?
5. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant hear in the cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zoshchenko write about "Yuletide Story"?
2. In "Sunstroke", why is the woman unwilling to continue her relationship with the lieutenant?
3. What happens to Varka's father in the hospital and why?
4. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor think of patients in general?
5. How is the doctor in "Yuletide Story" described?
6. What does Paka believe about the boys he sees passing by his house?
7. Describe the condition Dolgushov is in when he is found. Who has done this to him?
8. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
9. Why is Varka so tired?
10. Why does Selikhov come over to Martin Martinych's place?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)