|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the aunt put out the candles in "Yuletide Story"?
(a) With a snuffer.
(b) With her fingers.
(c) By blowing them out.
(d) By turning them upside down and smashing the wicks.
2. What will Varka's employers do if she falls asleep?
(a) Fire her.
(b) Beat her.
(c) Send her for coal in the snow.
(d) Lock her in the closet.
3. How is the woman who comes to the doctor's office in "Yuletide Story" described?
(a) As a high-society lady.
(b) As a lightning rod for change.
(c) As a little flower of God.
(d) As a withered streak of meanness.
4. What is the specialty of the doctor in "Yuletide Story"?
(b) Head and spinal injuries.
(c) Internal and children's diseases.
(d) Veterinary medicine.
5. What perhaps causes the icy roar of the wind in "The Cave"?
(a) A misplaced polar bear.
(b) The wrath of God.
(c) A super-mammoth.
(d) A storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the prescription cost that the doctor issues to the middle-aged citizen in "Yuletide Story"?
2. What does the narrator of "Yuletide Story" say has likely caused the doctor's voice to grow husky and cracked?
3. Where does Paka tell the boys that he and his mother used to live?
4. Where do the narrator of "The Death of Dolgushov" and Grishchuk get fired upon near the town by enemy scouts?
5. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what city has the enemy been beaten out of in a counterattack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Selikhov come over to Martin Martinych's place?
2. What does Paka believe about the boys he sees passing by his house?
3. How is the doctor in "Yuletide Story" described?
4. Why is Varka so tired?
5. In "Yuletide Story," what does the doctor think when he goes to the patient's apartment after his aunt tells him he has died?
6. What does Antoshka say when Paka asks why he and his brother laugh all the time?
7. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
8. What does the doctor say that Varka's father should do in the dream she has while holding the baby?
9. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what does a wounded delegate say when Vytyagaichenko is leaving him and the other wounded and how does Vytyagaichenko respond?
10. What does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" do when he goes back to the hotel room alone?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)