|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the doctor forget at the middle-aged citizen's apartment?
(a) His tool bag.
(b) His overshoes.
(c) His hat.
(d) His umbrella.
2. What is the god of the cave-like bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay?
(a) A chest of jewels.
(b) The bed.
(c) A telephone.
(d) A cast-iron stove.
3. What part of the body does the middle-aged citizen who comes to visit the doctor in "Yuletide Story" complain about?
(a) His heart.
(b) His liver.
(c) His spleen.
(d) His head.
4. What is the name of the master's apprentice who snores in "Sleepy"?
5. Where do the narrator of "The Death of Dolgushov" and Grishchuk get fired upon near the town by enemy scouts?
(a) A mill.
(b) A carriage shop.
(c) A blacksmith's.
(d) A cemetery.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who is the disgraced commander of the Fourth Division?
2. What does the aunt of the middle-aged citizen want from the doctor?
3. Whom does Varka see as the enemy in her dream state?
4. What does Dolgushov say to use on him when the narrator finds him?
5. From where has the woman in "Sunstroke" boarded the steamer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the peasant women treat the lieutenant at the market in "Sunstroke"?
2. What do the three brothers do during the summer months in "In Bondage"?
3. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor think of patients in general?
4. What does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" do when he goes back to the hotel room alone?
5. What does Antoshka say when Paka asks why he and his brother laugh all the time?
6. In "Sunstroke", how does the woman react to the lieutenant's suggestion that they get off the boat together?
7. What does Grishchuk say about women and why?
8. Why is Varka so tired?
9. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what does a wounded delegate say when Vytyagaichenko is leaving him and the other wounded and how does Vytyagaichenko respond?
10. In "Yuletide Story," what does the doctor think when he goes to the patient's apartment after his aunt tells him he has died?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)