|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The stationmaster's daughter tries to soothe the sick hussar traveler with what?
(a) A vinegar-soaked handkerchief.
(b) Cough elixir.
(c) Singing by his bedside.
(d) Bible readings.
2. Who does the woman in the story that Lukerya tells Pyotr Petrovich chase away beyond the sea?
(a) The Hittites.
(b) The Followers of Simon.
(c) The Sons of Hagar.
(d) The Canaanites.
3. What does the occupant of Room One from the beginning of "The Clothesmender" do when the tailor tries to comfort him at the end of the story?
(a) Offers him a new job as a clerk.
(b) Hits him with a stick.
(c) Gives him more money.
(d) Shoots him.
4. What does a friend who stops by Ivan Ivanovich's place say of his writing style?
(a) That it is long-winded.
(b) That it is choppy.
(c) That he is copying Pushkin.
(d) That it is absurd.
5. What does the tailor's new wife say she will bring to the marriage in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) Hard work.
(b) A huge dowry.
(c) Many children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lukerya lead the singing when she is young?
2. Who else is on the ship besides the Bishop in "The Three Hermits"?
3. What are Pyotr Petrovich and his friend hunting for?
4. What is the smell Pyotr Petrovich encounters as he enters the bee hut?
5. What does the tailor call his wife in "The Clothesmender"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Platon Nikolayevich apparently said about the stench in the graveyard that is perceived by the dead?
2. What does the doctor say about Major Kovalyov's missing nose?
3. How does Pyotr Petrovich interpret Lukerya's face when he encounters her in the bee hut?
4. In "The Three Hermits", why is the Bishop still awake after everyone goes back to sleep?
5. What are the two trials the tailor experiences that lead him to his eventual good fortune in "The Clothesmender"?
6. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
7. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
8. What does Lukerya say to Pyotr Petrovich about patience?
9. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
10. What happens as the Bishop returns to the ship in "The Three Hermits"?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)