|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gogol says that people of the capital have shown an interest in experiments with the effects of _____.
(c) Drug therapy.
(d) Sun exposure.
2. What does Ivan Yakovlevich want for breakfast when he wakes up on March 25th?
(a) Hot bread with onion.
(b) A bowl of oatmeal.
(c) Blini with caviar and cream.
(d) Tea and latkes.
3. Who asks Ivan Ivanovich if he will ever be sober in "Bobok"?
(a) Evgeni Fomavich.
(b) Georgi Pavlov.
(c) Semyon Ardalyonovich.
(d) Maksim Markov.
4. What does the newspaper clerk offer Major Kovalyov as he is leaving his office?
(b) Bad advice.
(c) A copy of Molière's "Cyrano de Bergerac".
(d) A cigarette.
5. Where is the narrator in "The Stationmaster" traveling in May 1816?
(b) N. Province.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ivan Ivanovich described by the painter who exhibits his portrait?
2. What does the tailor call his wife in "The Clothesmender"?
3. How does the Bishop teach the three hermits to pray?
4. Gogol describes the doctor that Major Kovalyov goes to see as having pitch-black _____.
5. Who is staying in Room One the next New Year's Eve in "The Clothesmender"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Clothesmender", who stays at the hotel opposite the Governor-General's house and why?
2. How does Major Kovalyov try to obscure his missing nose when he goes into the coffee house and when he leaves?
3. What happens when the stationmaster arrives in Petersburg?
4. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
5. How does Pyotr Petrovich interpret Lukerya's face when he encounters her in the bee hut?
6. When does Lukerya die and what does she say about the sounds she hears?
7. What has Platon Nikolayevich apparently said about the stench in the graveyard that is perceived by the dead?
8. How does Dunya's father react to the hussar's asking if he can take her to church?
9. In "The Stationmaster", what is the narrator's main concern when he arrives at station X?
10. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)