|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the stationmaster's daughter?
2. What does Ivan Ivanovich end his thinking with while sitting on the tombstone?
(a) Legendary status.
(d) Subliminal messages.
3. What grade is the stationmaster?
4. What does Lukerya keep hearing on the day of her death in "The Living Relic"?
(a) A chorus of angels.
(b) Swarms of bees.
(c) A lark.
(d) Church bells.
5. What is the last thing Lukerya asks of Pyotr Petrovich?
(a) To have his mother reduce the quit-rent for the peasants.
(b) To find her lost daughter.
(c) To give her some honey.
(d) To bring her back a deer from his next hunting trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Stationmaster," what is the traveler wearing who appears at the station three years before the narrator's second visit?
2. Whom does Lukerya's betrothed eventually marry?
3. What does the Bishop teach the three hermits to recite?
4. Gogol says that people of the capital have shown an interest in experiments with the effects of _____.
5. What does the occupant of Room One from the beginning of "The Clothesmender" do when the tailor tries to comfort him at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the doctor say about Major Kovalyov's missing nose?
2. What are the two different types of collegiate assessors?
3. What are the two trials the tailor experiences that lead him to his eventual good fortune in "The Clothesmender"?
4. In "The Three Hermits", why is the Bishop still awake after everyone goes back to sleep?
5. What reason do some people that know of Lukerya give for her illness?
6. What does Ivan Ivanovich think of the administrative news he hears the dead people talking about?
7. How does Major Kovalyov decide to approach his nose at the Kazan Cathedral and how does the Nose react?
8. What happens when the narrator of "The Clothesmender" and the gossip are walking to the tailor's house to inspect the room?
9. What happens when the stationmaster arrives in Petersburg?
10. What effect does talking have on Lukerya when she is telling Pyotr Petrovich about her life?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)