|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the three hermits greet the Bishop when he lands on their island?
(a) They bow.
(b) They turn their backs.
(c) They run away.
(d) They kiss his hand.
2. What is the name of the priest who comes to see Lukerya?
(a) Father Dmitri.
(b) Father Aleksey.
(c) Father Leonid.
(d) Father Fyodor.
3. The stationmaster's daughter tries to soothe the sick hussar traveler with what?
(a) A vinegar-soaked handkerchief.
(b) Bible readings.
(c) Singing by his bedside.
(d) Cough elixir.
4. Why does the second hermit have trouble reciting what the Bishop teaches him?
(a) Because he won't listen.
(b) Because his whiskers are overgrown.
(c) Because he doesn't speak the same language.
(d) Because he is deaf.
5. Why does Ivan Ivanovich surmise that coffins become so heavy?
(a) The type of wood used.
(b) Inertia of the body.
(c) The amount of sentimental items.
(d) The satin lining.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ivanovich not like reading?
2. What is painted on the sign by the gate in "The Clothesmender"?
3. Who chokes on a chicken bone and dies that owned the house before the tailor?
4. How are the three hermits described?
5. What does Ivan Ivanovich do that causes the corpses to go silent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
2. What happens when the narrator of "The Clothesmender" and the gossip are walking to the tailor's house to inspect the room?
3. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
4. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
5. What does Pyotr Petrovich say about hunting in the rain?
6. According to the Bishop in "The Three Hermits", how does God reveal himself to men?
7. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
8. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
9. How does Major Kovalyov try to obscure his missing nose when he goes into the coffee house and when he leaves?
10. In "The Clothesmender", who stays at the hotel opposite the Governor-General's house and why?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)