|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the police inspector prefer to everything else in "The Nose"?
(b) A compliment.
(d) A bank note.
2. Where does Ivan Yakovlevich go to dispose of the nose he finds in his bread?
(a) St. Isaac's Bridge.
(b) Police Bridge.
(c) Dolya Bridge.
(d) Anichkin Bridge.
3. What does the Bishop think is speeding toward his ship?
(a) A whale.
(b) A small boat.
(c) A shark.
(d) A falling star.
4. Who does Lukerya say has great patience when Pyotr Petrovich compliments her on her own patience?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(b) John the Baptist.
(d) Simeon Stylites.
5. What author's "bons mots" does Ivan Ivanovich say he wishes to collect?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the occupant of Room One from the beginning of "The Clothesmender" do when the tailor tries to comfort him at the end of the story?
2. What do editors say that Ivan Ivanovich's stories lack when he brings them to their offices?
3. In "Bobok", among the palls at the cemetery, there were also two _____.
4. With what does Ivan Ivanovich begin his thinking appropriate thoughts while sitting on the tombstone?
5. What is the French name of the tailor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does talking have on Lukerya when she is telling Pyotr Petrovich about her life?
2. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
3. How does Praskovya Osipovna react when Ivan Yakovlevich finds a nose in his loaf of bread?
4. What happens when the stationmaster arrives in Petersburg?
5. In "The Three Hermits", why is the Bishop still awake after everyone goes back to sleep?
6. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
7. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
8. What reason do some people that know of Lukerya give for her illness?
9. According to the Bishop in "The Three Hermits", how does God reveal himself to men?
10. When does Lukerya die and what does she say about the sounds she hears?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)