|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the French name of the tailor?
2. Whom does the stationmaster ask about his daughter's whereabouts as this person is snuffing out candles?
(a) The sexton.
(b) The nun.
(c) The candle maker.
(d) The friar.
3. To where does the police officer who brings Major Kovalyov's nose back to him, say he has to go when he is offered a cup of tea?
(a) A mental asylum.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A gymnasium.
(d) The post office.
4. To where is Ivan Yakovlevich trying to escape when he is apprehended by the police?
5. Who else is on the ship besides the Bishop in "The Three Hermits"?
(a) Military personnel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the second hermit have trouble reciting what the Bishop teaches him?
2. What does Ivan Ivanovich end his thinking with while sitting on the tombstone?
3. What is the smell Pyotr Petrovich encounters as he enters the bee hut?
4. The stationmaster's daughter tries to soothe the sick hussar traveler with what?
5. What does the tailor call his wife in "The Clothesmender"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Clothesmender", who stays at the hotel opposite the Governor-General's house and why?
2. What does Lukerya say to Pyotr Petrovich about patience?
3. How does Major Kovalyov try to obscure his missing nose when he goes into the coffee house and when he leaves?
4. What are the two trials the tailor experiences that lead him to his eventual good fortune in "The Clothesmender"?
5. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
6. How does Praskovya Osipovna react when Ivan Yakovlevich finds a nose in his loaf of bread?
7. What is Ivan Ivanovich's impression of the voices coming from the graves when he first hears them?
8. After discouragement from the newspaper and the district police inspector, how does Major Kovalyov feel when he gets home?
9. What happens as the Bishop returns to the ship in "The Three Hermits"?
10. How does Dunya react to meeting the narrator in "The Stationmaster"?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)