|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wants Major Kovalyov to marry her daughter?
(a) Mrs. Osipovna.
(b) Mrs. Petrovna.
(c) Mrs. Podtochina.
(d) Mrs. Ivanovna.
2. From what language does Ivan Ivanovich translate books for booksellers?
3. Who chokes on a chicken bone and dies that owned the house before the tailor?
(a) A dog trainer.
(b) A deacon.
(c) An executioner.
(d) A lieutenant.
4. How do the three hermits greet the Bishop when he lands on their island?
(a) They run away.
(b) They bow.
(c) They kiss his hand.
(d) They turn their backs.
5. What does Lukerya keep hearing on the day of her death in "The Living Relic"?
(a) A lark.
(b) Swarms of bees.
(c) Church bells.
(d) A chorus of angels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of a type of Russian carriage?
2. Where is the narrator in "The Stationmaster" traveling in May 1816?
3. What is the device used to make Russian tea that the stationmaster asks his daughter to start for him when the narrator arrives?
4. What does the Bishop offer the Captain in return for going to the island where the three hermits live?
5. What language are the verses in that tell the story on the stationmaster's wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pyotr Petrovich say about hunting in the rain?
2. In "The Three Hermits", why is the Bishop still awake after everyone goes back to sleep?
3. How does Dunya react to meeting the narrator in "The Stationmaster"?
4. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
5. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
6. How does Praskovya Osipovna react when Ivan Yakovlevich finds a nose in his loaf of bread?
7. What does Ivan Ivanovich think of the administrative news he hears the dead people talking about?
8. What has Platon Nikolayevich apparently said about the stench in the graveyard that is perceived by the dead?
9. How does Pyotr Petrovich interpret Lukerya's face when he encounters her in the bee hut?
10. According to the Bishop in "The Three Hermits", how does God reveal himself to men?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)