|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When confronted by Major Kovalyov, what line of work does the nose say he is in?
2. Who turns out to be following the ship the Bishop is on?
(a) A pirate ghost.
(b) The fisherman who initially told the story of the hermits.
(c) A whaling vessel.
(d) The three hermits.
3. What does the occupant of Room One from the beginning of "The Clothesmender" do when the tailor tries to comfort him at the end of the story?
(a) Gives him more money.
(b) Shoots him.
(c) Hits him with a stick.
(d) Offers him a new job as a clerk.
4. In "The Stationmaster," what is the traveler wearing who appears at the station three years before the narrator's second visit?
(a) A sapphire ring
(b) A Circassian fur cap.
(c) A German patch.
(d) A mink coat.
5. What grade is the stationmaster?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the stationmaster's daughter?
2. What does the lady passing by a year prior to the story, "A Living Relic" give to Lukerya?
3. What is the real last name of the occupant of Room One in "The Clothesmender"?
4. Where does the hussar pretend he is taking the stationmaster's daughter when he abducts her?
5. What color is the water in the cemetery that is being baled out with a dipper by the gravedigger in "Bobok"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the stationmaster arrives in Petersburg?
2. What does Pyotr Petrovich say about hunting in the rain?
3. How does the fisherman end up on the island with the three hermits?
4. What effect does talking have on Lukerya when she is telling Pyotr Petrovich about her life?
5. What has Platon Nikolayevich apparently said about the stench in the graveyard that is perceived by the dead?
6. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
7. What does Lukerya say to Pyotr Petrovich about patience?
8. What is Ivan Ivanovich's impression of the voices coming from the graves when he first hears them?
9. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
10. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)