|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When confronted by Major Kovalyov, what line of work does the nose say he is in?
2. What does the tailor's new wife say she will bring to the marriage in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) Many children.
(b) A huge dowry.
(c) Hard work.
3. Who tells the merchant the story of the three hermits?
(a) A missionary.
(b) A mercenary.
(c) A fisherman.
(d) A doctor.
4. Why does Ivan Ivanovich surmise that coffins become so heavy?
(a) The type of wood used.
(b) Inertia of the body.
(c) The amount of sentimental items.
(d) The satin lining.
5. In "The Stationmaster," what is the traveler wearing who appears at the station three years before the narrator's second visit?
(a) A Circassian fur cap.
(b) A mink coat.
(c) A German patch.
(d) A sapphire ring
Short Answer Questions
1. The young man who dies of "complications" goes to which doctor before he dies?
2. Where does the hussar pretend he is taking the stationmaster's daughter when he abducts her?
3. What does the Bishop think is speeding toward his ship?
4. What is the name of the type of small wattle shed or hut that Pyotr Petrovich finds next to the bee-garden?
5. Who is the governor-general of Moscow at the time "The Clothesmender" takes place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the three hermits walk on water and chase the ship?
2. In "The Three Hermits", why is the Bishop still awake after everyone goes back to sleep?
3. What does Ivan Ivanovich think of the administrative news he hears the dead people talking about?
4. In "The Clothesmender", what does the priest say to the narrator are the advantages of living with the tailor?
5. In "The Clothesmender", who stays at the hotel opposite the Governor-General's house and why?
6. What happens when the narrator of "The Clothesmender" and the gossip are walking to the tailor's house to inspect the room?
7. When does Lukerya die and what does she say about the sounds she hears?
8. Describe the character of the wife of Laputin, the benefactor in "The Clothesmender".
9. How does Major Kovalyov try to obscure his missing nose when he goes into the coffee house and when he leaves?
10. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)