|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator hope will loosen the stationmaster's tongue with regard to the whereabouts of his daughter?
(a) Rum punch.
(b) Cough elixir.
2. Where does Major Kovalyov confront his lost nose?
(a) Kazan Cathedral.
(b) Nevsky Theater.
(c) Kirov Cathedral.
(d) Balshoi Theater.
3. What grade is the stationmaster?
4. What does Ivan Ivanovich do that causes the corpses to go silent?
(a) He coughs.
(b) He sneezes.
(c) He drops his bottle.
(d) He talks to them.
5. In "The Stationmaster," what is the traveler wearing who appears at the station three years before the narrator's second visit?
(a) A sapphire ring
(b) A Circassian fur cap.
(c) A mink coat.
(d) A German patch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gogol describes the doctor that Major Kovalyov goes to see as having pitch-black _____.
2. Who does the woman in the story that Lukerya tells Pyotr Petrovich chase away beyond the sea?
3. What does the occupant of Room One from the beginning of "The Clothesmender" do when the tailor tries to comfort him at the end of the story?
4. What does a friend who stops by Ivan Ivanovich's place say of his writing style?
5. What is the device used to make Russian tea that the stationmaster asks his daughter to start for him when the narrator arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the Bishop returns to the ship in "The Three Hermits"?
2. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
3. What does Klinevich call Mr. Tarasevich and what does he say about his debauchery?
4. What reason do some people that know of Lukerya give for her illness?
5. What happens when the narrator of "The Clothesmender" and the gossip are walking to the tailor's house to inspect the room?
6. How does Praskovya Osipovna react when Ivan Yakovlevich finds a nose in his loaf of bread?
7. According to the Bishop in "The Three Hermits", how does God reveal himself to men?
8. How does Major Kovalyov try to obscure his missing nose when he goes into the coffee house and when he leaves?
9. Who visits the stationmaster's grave at the end of the story and what does he realize?
10. What does Lukerya say to Pyotr Petrovich about patience?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)