|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is painted on the sign by the gate in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) A krasnya kniga.
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) Two clergy robes.
(d) An armyak and a poddyovka.
2. What does Ivan Ivanovich do that causes the corpses to go silent?
(a) He talks to them.
(b) He coughs.
(c) He drops his bottle.
(d) He sneezes.
3. To where does the police officer who brings Major Kovalyov's nose back to him, say he has to go when he is offered a cup of tea?
(a) A mental asylum.
(b) The post office.
(c) A gymnasium.
(d) A hospital.
4. Where does Lukerya lead the singing when she is young?
5. What does the newspaper clerk offer Major Kovalyov as he is leaving his office?
(a) Bad advice.
(b) A copy of Molière's "Cyrano de Bergerac".
(d) A cigarette.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where is Ivan Yakovlevich trying to escape when he is apprehended by the police?
2. What does Ivan Ivanovich not like reading?
3. Who is staying in Room One the next New Year's Eve in "The Clothesmender"?
4. What is the real last name of the occupant of Room One in "The Clothesmender"?
5. What does Ivan Ivanovich end his thinking with while sitting on the tombstone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two different types of collegiate assessors?
2. In "The Stationmaster", what is the narrator's main concern when he arrives at station X?
3. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
4. Who visits the stationmaster's grave at the end of the story and what does he realize?
5. According to the Bishop in "The Three Hermits", how does God reveal himself to men?
6. What effect does talking have on Lukerya when she is telling Pyotr Petrovich about her life?
7. What is Ivan Ivanovich's impression of the voices coming from the graves when he first hears them?
8. What does Pyotr Petrovich say about hunting in the rain?
9. How does Major Kovalyov try to obscure his missing nose when he goes into the coffee house and when he leaves?
10. How does Praskovya Osipovna react when Ivan Yakovlevich finds a nose in his loaf of bread?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)