|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the smell Pyotr Petrovich encounters as he enters the bee hut?
(a) Mint and melissa.
(b) Mesquite and mahogany.
(c) Rosemary and thyme.
(d) Lavender and roses.
2. To whose funeral does Ivan Ivanovich go in "Bobok"?
(a) A former lover's.
(b) A Collegiate Councilor's.
(c) A Major General's.
(d) A friend of a friend's.
3. Where does the Bishop go when he finds he doesn't feel like sleeping?
(a) The stern.
(b) The bow.
(c) Below decks.
(d) The Captain's cabin.
4. Whom does the stationmaster ask about his daughter's whereabouts as this person is snuffing out candles?
(a) The friar.
(b) The sexton.
(c) The candle maker.
(d) The nun.
5. What grade is the stationmaster?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Major Kovalyov go to the newspaper office?
2. What do the three hermits live in?
3. What does the Bishop teach the three hermits to recite?
4. To what variety of collegiate assessors does Major Kovalyov belong?
5. Who in the church suggests a place for the narrator to live in "The Clothesmender"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
2. What are the two trials the tailor experiences that lead him to his eventual good fortune in "The Clothesmender"?
3. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
4. How does Ivan Ivanovich feel about the half-eaten sandwich he sees on the tombstone beside him?
5. What happens when the narrator of "The Clothesmender" and the gossip are walking to the tailor's house to inspect the room?
6. In "The Three Hermits", why is the Bishop still awake after everyone goes back to sleep?
7. In "The Stationmaster", what is the narrator's main concern when he arrives at station X?
8. When does Lukerya die and what does she say about the sounds she hears?
9. How does Dunya react to meeting the narrator in "The Stationmaster"?
10. What happens when the stationmaster arrives in Petersburg?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)