|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gogol says that people of the capital have shown an interest in experiments with the effects of _____.
(c) Sun exposure.
(d) Drug therapy.
2. Where does the Bishop go when he finds he doesn't feel like sleeping?
(a) The stern.
(b) The Captain's cabin.
(c) The bow.
(d) Below decks.
3. What do editors say that Ivan Ivanovich's stories lack when he brings them to their offices?
4. Where is Lukerya taken when the weather gets cold?
(a) To a hospital.
(b) To the blacksmith's house.
(c) To the shed next to the furnace.
(d) To the bathhouse lobby.
5. Who wants Major Kovalyov to marry her daughter?
(a) Mrs. Petrovna.
(b) Mrs. Podtochina.
(c) Mrs. Ivanovna.
(d) Mrs. Osipovna.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Yakovlevich want for breakfast when he wakes up on March 25th?
2. What does the lady passing by a year prior to the story, "A Living Relic" give to Lukerya?
3. What are the three hermits doing when the Bishop spies them through a spyglass?
4. Who turns out to be following the ship the Bishop is on?
5. How do the three hermits greet the Bishop when he lands on their island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does talking have on Lukerya when she is telling Pyotr Petrovich about her life?
2. What is Klinevich getting at with wanting to get rid of being ashamed while the corpses are conscious?
3. What does Lukerya say to Pyotr Petrovich about patience?
4. Describe the character of the wife of Laputin, the benefactor in "The Clothesmender".
5. In "The Clothesmender", who stays at the hotel opposite the Governor-General's house and why?
6. What does the benefactor from Room One do to the sign the tailor originally has up in front of his shop and how does he remedy the situation?
7. What has Platon Nikolayevich apparently said about the stench in the graveyard that is perceived by the dead?
8. How does Major Kovalyov try to obscure his missing nose when he goes into the coffee house and when he leaves?
9. How is the stationmaster treated by most travelers?
10. How does the Captain try to talk the Bishop out of going to the island where the hermits live?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)