|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a friend who stops by Ivan Ivanovich's place say of his writing style?
(a) That it is choppy.
(b) That it is long-winded.
(c) That he is copying Pushkin.
(d) That it is absurd.
2. In "The Clothesmender", what is the name of the real estate agent who makes the sign for the tailor?
(a) Vasily Konych.
(b) Fyodor Galensky.
(c) Segei Prokhov.
(d) Prokhor Ivanych.
3. What is the last thing Lukerya asks of Pyotr Petrovich?
(a) To give her some honey.
(b) To bring her back a deer from his next hunting trip.
(c) To have his mother reduce the quit-rent for the peasants.
(d) To find her lost daughter.
4. Major Kovalyov's face is described as ____ where his nose used to be.
(a) Tough as a board.
(b) Two holes.
(c) A large moon.
(d) Smooth as a pancake.
5. Where is Lukerya taken when the weather gets cold?
(a) To a hospital.
(b) To the blacksmith's house.
(c) To the bathhouse lobby.
(d) To the shed next to the furnace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the tailor in "The Clothesmender" have a special gift for?
2. What are the three hermits doing when the Bishop spies them through a spyglass?
3. To where does the police officer who brings Major Kovalyov's nose back to him, say he has to go when he is offered a cup of tea?
4. What grade is the stationmaster?
5. Where is the Bishop sailing to in "The Three Hermits"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the Bishop in "The Three Hermits", how does God reveal himself to men?
2. What does Paka believe about the boys he sees passing by his house?
3. In "The Clothesmender", who stays at the hotel opposite the Governor-General's house and why?
4. What reason do some people that know of Lukerya give for her illness?
5. When does Lukerya die and what does she say about the sounds she hears?
6. What are the two trials the tailor experiences that lead him to his eventual good fortune in "The Clothesmender"?
7. What does the doctor say about Major Kovalyov's missing nose?
8. How are the conditions at the Obertyshevs' place?
9. What effect does talking have on Lukerya when she is telling Pyotr Petrovich about her life?
10. What does Pyotr Petrovich say about hunting in the rain?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)