|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the doctor forget at the middle-aged citizen's apartment?
(a) His umbrella.
(b) His overshoes.
(c) His hat.
(d) His tool bag.
2. In front of the Icon in "Sleepy", what color light is burning?
3. What is the name of Varka's mother?
4. What is the specialty of the doctor in "Yuletide Story"?
(a) Veterinary medicine.
(b) Internal and children's diseases.
(c) Head and spinal injuries.
5. Where do the narrator of "The Death of Dolgushov" and Grishchuk get fired upon near the town by enemy scouts?
(a) A cemetery.
(b) A mill.
(c) A carriage shop.
(d) A blacksmith's.
6. In "In Bondage", where does Paka wish to play?
(a) At school.
(b) At the pond.
(c) At his cousin's house.
(d) In the fields.
7. What is the occupation of Varka's master?
8. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant hear in the cathedral?
(a) Bells tolling.
(b) A sermon.
(c) Ominous chanting.
(d) Loud singing.
9. Whom does Varka see as the enemy in her dream state?
(a) The baby.
(b) The master.
(c) The mistress.
10. What does the eldest boy call Paka?
(a) A toad.
(b) A herring.
(c) A mosquito.
(d) A puppy.
11. What does Paka see on the eldest boy that surprises him?
(a) A long scar.
(b) A long braid.
(c) A school badge.
(d) A gold watch.
12. What is playing below the window when Martin Martinych comes over to Masha's house while she is playing piano?
(a) A trumpet.
(b) An organ-grinder.
(c) A violin.
(d) A bassoon.
13. What does Dolgushov say to use on him when the narrator finds him?
(b) A knife.
(c) A cartridge.
14. What does Dolgushov hand to the troop commander?
(a) His eyeglasses.
(b) His flints.
(c) His telephone.
(d) His regimental book.
15. How old is Nanny Varka?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant slap his boots with while contemplating the woman's absence in the hotel room?
2. Where does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" go first to assuage his loneliness for the woman?
3. What item of the master's is Varka asked to clean?
4. What does Paka consider himself to be?
5. What is the god of the cave-like bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)