|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator of "Yuletide Story" say has likely caused the doctor's voice to grow husky and cracked?
(a) Being around sick people.
(b) Yelling at his nurses.
(c) Alcohol consumption.
(d) Eating coarse food.
2. For one hour, what is in the cave as a result of the "god"?
3. What is the name of the master's apprentice who snores in "Sleepy"?
4. What does Grishchuk have with him all the time?
(a) A cart.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A camera.
(d) A broken fly swatter.
5. How old is Nanny Varka?
6. How does the aunt put out the candles in "Yuletide Story"?
(a) By blowing them out.
(b) With her fingers.
(c) With a snuffer.
(d) By turning them upside down and smashing the wicks.
7. In the morning, what is Varka asked to do after she lights the stove?
(a) Wash the clothes.
(b) Run to the store.
(c) Wash the dishes.
(d) Put on the samovar.
8. In front of the Icon in "Sleepy", what color light is burning?
9. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant hear in the cathedral?
(a) Ominous chanting.
(b) Bells tolling.
(c) A sermon.
(d) Loud singing.
10. What does Paka consider himself to be?
(a) A knight.
(b) A prince.
(c) A frog.
(d) A dog.
11. In "Yuletide Story", who clears up the story of the middle-aged man for the doctor?
(a) The grocer.
(b) The aunt.
(c) The militia.
(d) The constable.
12. What is the name of Varka's mother?
13. Who is charged with watching over Paka?
(a) Two muses.
(b) Two Arguses.
(c) A shepherd from the village.
(d) A handyman.
14. Whose scouts are scouring the field looking for the dead and for equipment in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
15. From where has the woman in "Sunstroke" boarded the steamer?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Paka asked why the boys are armed as they are, who do they say they are?
2. What does Paka think of the boys who pass his house on the road?
3. What does Paka see on the eldest boy that surprises him?
4. What does the lieutenant drink when he gets back to the hotel in "Sunstroke"?
5. What does Dolgushov say to use on him when the narrator finds him?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)