|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the wife of Martin Martinych's downstairs neighbor hide under a napkin when he comes into their room?
(a) A coal.
(b) A spoon.
(c) A bowl.
(d) A coin.
2. Which demon does the narrator of "In Bondage" say is a very petty demon, but one of the most dangerous?
(a) The demon of hearsay.
(b) The demon of sloth.
(c) The demon of entitlement.
(d) The demon of comparison.
3. In "Sunstroke," what river is the steamer traversing when the lieutenant meets the woman he has an attraction to?
(a) The Neva.
(b) The Svir.
(c) The Volga.
(d) The Danube.
4. In "In Bondage", where does Paka wish to play?
(a) At his cousin's house.
(b) At the pond.
(c) In the fields.
(d) At school.
5. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who has reached the woods and posted their machine guns nearby?
(a) The Poles.
(b) The Czechs.
(c) The Serbs.
(d) The Croatians.
6. What does the eldest boy call Paka?
(a) A mosquito.
(b) A herring.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A toad.
7. In the morning, what is Varka asked to do after she lights the stove?
(a) Wash the clothes.
(b) Run to the store.
(c) Put on the samovar.
(d) Wash the dishes.
8. What item of the master's is Varka asked to clean?
(a) His hat.
(b) His gloves.
(c) His overshoes.
(d) His desk.
9. What is the unshaven porter wearing when the couple disembarks the boat in "Sunstroke"?
(b) A pink shirt.
(d) Shabby black shoes.
10. What does Paka see on the eldest boy that surprises him?
(a) A long scar.
(b) A school badge.
(c) A gold watch.
(d) A long braid.
11. What does Varka think the hardest thing is to do when she is standing in front of the kitchen table?
(a) Mend bandages.
(b) Peel potatoes.
(c) Chop onions.
(d) Listen to the baby cry.
12. When the couple in "Sunstroke" wakes up in the morning, what does the lieutenant smell in the air?
(a) Hay and tar.
(b) Baking bread.
(d) A perfume factory.
13. How does the aunt put out the candles in "Yuletide Story"?
(a) With a snuffer.
(b) With her fingers.
(c) By turning them upside down and smashing the wicks.
(d) By blowing them out.
14. What are nurses doing as they lie in the grass in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
15. In "Sunstroke", how old is the woman's child?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paka, the wicked fairy got cross with his mother because she hadn't invited her to what?
2. Where does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" go first to assuage his loneliness for the woman?
3. What does Paka say his name would be if he were a common boy and not a prince?
4. What is the occupation of Varka's master?
5. Whose scouts are scouring the field looking for the dead and for equipment in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)