|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who has reached the woods and posted their machine guns nearby?
(a) The Poles.
(b) The Croatians.
(c) The Serbs.
(d) The Czechs.
2. What is the name of the middle-aged citizen, according to his aunt who comes to the doctor the day after his visit?
(a) Aleksei Sardentov.
(b) Vasily Ledentsov.
(c) Pyotr Petrovich.
(d) Paka Karpov.
3. When Paka asked why the boys are armed as they are, who do they say they are?
4. What sort of steamer does the woman take when she leaves the lieutenant in "Sunstroke"?
(a) A Samovar steamer.
(b) A paddle steamer.
(c) A stern-wheeler steamer.
(d) A Samolyot steamer.
5. How much does the prescription cost that the doctor issues to the middle-aged citizen in "Yuletide Story"?
(a) A head cheese.
(b) Seventy kopeks.
(c) Two rubles.
(d) Forty kopeks.
6. For one hour, what is in the cave as a result of the "god"?
7. What does Martin Martinych hide from Masha that is in his desk drawer?
(a) A match.
(b) A blue phial.
(c) A letter opener.
(d) A flask of whiskey.
8. What does the eldest boy call Paka?
(a) A toad.
(b) A mosquito.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A herring.
9. Where does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" go first to assuage his loneliness for the woman?
(b) The ballet.
(d) The market.
10. Which demon does the narrator of "In Bondage" say is a very petty demon, but one of the most dangerous?
(a) The demon of sloth.
(b) The demon of entitlement.
(c) The demon of comparison.
(d) The demon of hearsay.
11. In "In Bondage", where does Paka wish to play?
(a) At his cousin's house.
(b) At the pond.
(c) In the fields.
(d) At school.
12. What sort of eau de cologne scent is left in the hotel by the woman in "Sunstroke"?
13. On which day do Martin Martinych and Masha board up the study?
(a) Intercession Day.
(d) Unity Day.
14. When the guests come to the house, in "Sleepy" what is Varka asked to run and get from the store?
(a) Some lamb.
(b) A wheel of cheese.
(c) Two jars of pickles.
(d) Three bottles of beer.
15. What does Varka think the hardest thing is to do when she is standing in front of the kitchen table?
(a) Chop onions.
(b) Peel potatoes.
(c) Listen to the baby cry.
(d) Mend bandages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the master's apprentice who snores in "Sleepy"?
2. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant hear in the cathedral?
3. What item of the master's is Varka asked to clean?
4. What does Paka say his name would be if he were a common boy and not a prince?
5. What is the unshaven porter wearing when the couple disembarks the boat in "Sunstroke"?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)