|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which day do Martin Martinych and Masha board up the study?
(c) Unity Day.
(d) Intercession Day.
2. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who is the disgraced commander of the Fourth Division?
3. What does Dolgushov hand to the troop commander?
(a) His regimental book.
(b) His flints.
(c) His eyeglasses.
(d) His telephone.
4. What is the fabric the woman on the steamer's dress made of in "Sunstroke"?
5. What is playing below the window when Martin Martinych comes over to Masha's house while she is playing piano?
(a) A violin.
(b) An organ-grinder.
(c) A trumpet.
(d) A bassoon.
6. When the guests come to the house, in "Sleepy" what is Varka asked to run and get from the store?
(a) Some lamb.
(b) A wheel of cheese.
(c) Two jars of pickles.
(d) Three bottles of beer.
7. What does Paka say his name would be if he were a common boy and not a prince?
8. What does Varka think the hardest thing is to do when she is standing in front of the kitchen table?
(a) Chop onions.
(b) Listen to the baby cry.
(c) Mend bandages.
(d) Peel potatoes.
9. In "Sunstroke," what river is the steamer traversing when the lieutenant meets the woman he has an attraction to?
(a) The Svir.
(b) The Danube.
(c) The Neva.
(d) The Volga.
10. In front of the Icon in "Sleepy", what color light is burning?
11. Which demon does the narrator of "In Bondage" say is a very petty demon, but one of the most dangerous?
(a) The demon of sloth.
(b) The demon of comparison.
(c) The demon of hearsay.
(d) The demon of entitlement.
12. Whom does Varka see as the enemy in her dream state?
(a) The baby.
(b) The master.
(d) The mistress.
13. What does Martin Martinych hide from Masha that is in his desk drawer?
(a) A letter opener.
(b) A flask of whiskey.
(c) A match.
(d) A blue phial.
14. According to Paka, the wicked fairy got cross with his mother because she hadn't invited her to what?
(b) His christening.
(c) Go to the circus.
(d) His birthday party.
15. Who is charged with watching over Paka?
(a) A shepherd from the village.
(b) Two muses.
(c) Two Arguses.
(d) A handyman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the house-chairman who comes over to Martin Martinych's place at dusk?
2. What is the unshaven porter wearing when the couple disembarks the boat in "Sunstroke"?
3. What is the name of the middle-aged citizen, according to his aunt who comes to the doctor the day after his visit?
4. In "Yuletide Story", who clears up the story of the middle-aged man for the doctor?
5. What does Dolgushov say to use on him when the narrator finds him?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)