|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Varka think the hardest thing is to do when she is standing in front of the kitchen table?
(a) Mend bandages.
(b) Chop onions.
(c) Peel potatoes.
(d) Listen to the baby cry.
2. From where has the woman in "Sunstroke" boarded the steamer?
3. Where do the narrator of "The Death of Dolgushov" and Grishchuk get fired upon near the town by enemy scouts?
(a) A blacksmith's.
(b) A cemetery.
(c) A carriage shop.
(d) A mill.
4. When the guests come to the house, in "Sleepy" what is Varka asked to run and get from the store?
(a) A wheel of cheese.
(b) Three bottles of beer.
(c) Some lamb.
(d) Two jars of pickles.
5. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who is the disgraced commander of the Fourth Division?
6. On which day do Martin Martinych and Masha board up the study?
(b) Unity Day.
(d) Intercession Day.
7. What is the fabric the woman on the steamer's dress made of in "Sunstroke"?
8. What does the lieutenant drink when he gets back to the hotel in "Sunstroke"?
(b) Seltzer water.
(d) Rum punch.
9. In the morning, what is Varka asked to do after she lights the stove?
(a) Put on the samovar.
(b) Run to the store.
(c) Wash the clothes.
(d) Wash the dishes.
10. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who has reached the woods and posted their machine guns nearby?
(a) The Czechs.
(b) The Serbs.
(c) The Croatians.
(d) The Poles.
11. What is the occupation of Varka's master?
12. How does the aunt put out the candles in "Yuletide Story"?
(a) By turning them upside down and smashing the wicks.
(b) With her fingers.
(c) With a snuffer.
(d) By blowing them out.
13. What does Paka see on the eldest boy that surprises him?
(a) A long braid.
(b) A school badge.
(c) A gold watch.
(d) A long scar.
14. What part of the body does the middle-aged citizen who comes to visit the doctor in "Yuletide Story" complain about?
(a) His head.
(b) His liver.
(c) His spleen.
(d) His heart.
15. How is the woman who comes to the doctor's office in "Yuletide Story" described?
(a) As a little flower of God.
(b) As a lightning rod for change.
(c) As a withered streak of meanness.
(d) As a high-society lady.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paka think of the boys who pass his house on the road?
2. What does the aunt of the middle-aged citizen want from the doctor?
3. What does Paka consider himself to be?
4. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what city has the enemy been beaten out of in a counterattack?
5. How old is Nanny Varka?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)