|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What perhaps causes the icy roar of the wind in "The Cave"?
(a) The wrath of God.
(b) A super-mammoth.
(c) A storm.
(d) A misplaced polar bear.
2. How does the aunt put out the candles in "Yuletide Story"?
(a) With her fingers.
(b) By turning them upside down and smashing the wicks.
(c) With a snuffer.
(d) By blowing them out.
3. What does Paka think of the boys who pass his house on the road?
(a) They are stupid.
(b) They are sick.
(c) They are lucky.
(d) They are rich.
4. What does Dolgushov do for a job?
(b) Livery man.
5. Who is charged with watching over Paka?
(a) A handyman.
(b) Two Arguses.
(c) A shepherd from the village.
(d) Two muses.
6. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor prescribe for the middle-aged citizen?
(a) Lemon oil.
(b) Elixir of arsenic.
(c) Ammoniac aniseed drops.
(d) Hawthorn root extract.
7. In "Sunstroke," what river is the steamer traversing when the lieutenant meets the woman he has an attraction to?
(a) The Danube.
(b) The Svir.
(c) The Neva.
(d) The Volga.
8. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what city has the enemy been beaten out of in a counterattack?
9. What does Dolgushov give to the narrator?
(a) A love letter to his girlfriend.
(b) His mother's ring.
(c) His papers.
(d) Twenty rubles.
10. What sort of eau de cologne scent is left in the hotel by the woman in "Sunstroke"?
11. In the morning, what is Varka asked to do after she lights the stove?
(a) Put on the samovar.
(b) Wash the clothes.
(c) Run to the store.
(d) Wash the dishes.
12. What does Grishchuk have with him all the time?
(a) A broken fly swatter.
(b) A camera.
(c) A notebook.
(d) A cart.
13. In "In Bondage," what does Antoshka say the peasants do to each other when they get mad?
(a) Ostracize each other.
(b) Fight each other with swords.
(c) Curse each other.
(d) Poison each other.
14. What does the aunt of the middle-aged citizen want from the doctor?
(a) A death certificate.
(b) A house call for her ailing nephew.
(c) A bandage.
(d) More medicine.
15. What does the house-chairman in "The Cave" jokingly say he prefers when asked if he would like some tea?
(c) Irish cream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the body does the middle-aged citizen who comes to visit the doctor in "Yuletide Story" complain about?
2. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant hear in the cathedral?
3. What does the doctor forget at the middle-aged citizen's apartment?
4. What is the specialty of the doctor in "Yuletide Story"?
5. What will Varka's employers do if she falls asleep?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)