|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the woman who comes to the doctor's office in "Yuletide Story" described?
(a) As a withered streak of meanness.
(b) As a lightning rod for change.
(c) As a little flower of God.
(d) As a high-society lady.
2. What does Paka say his name would be if he were a common boy and not a prince?
3. What part of the body does the middle-aged citizen who comes to visit the doctor in "Yuletide Story" complain about?
(a) His spleen.
(b) His heart.
(c) His head.
(d) His liver.
4. What does Dolgushov give to the narrator?
(a) His mother's ring.
(b) A love letter to his girlfriend.
(c) Twenty rubles.
(d) His papers.
5. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant slap his boots with while contemplating the woman's absence in the hotel room?
(a) An umbrella.
(b) A night stick.
(c) A carriage whip.
(d) A swagger-stick.
6. What does Grishchuk have with him all the time?
(a) A broken fly swatter.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A camera.
(d) A cart.
7. What is playing below the window when Martin Martinych comes over to Masha's house while she is playing piano?
(a) A violin.
(b) A trumpet.
(c) An organ-grinder.
(d) A bassoon.
8. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who has reached the woods and posted their machine guns nearby?
(a) The Serbs.
(b) The Croatians.
(c) The Poles.
(d) The Czechs.
9. What will Varka's employers do if she falls asleep?
(a) Send her for coal in the snow.
(b) Fire her.
(c) Lock her in the closet.
(d) Beat her.
10. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what city has the enemy been beaten out of in a counterattack?
11. What does Varka think the hardest thing is to do when she is standing in front of the kitchen table?
(a) Listen to the baby cry.
(b) Peel potatoes.
(c) Chop onions.
(d) Mend bandages.
12. What does Paka consider himself to be?
(a) A frog.
(b) A knight.
(c) A dog.
(d) A prince.
13. What does Paka see on the eldest boy that surprises him?
(a) A gold watch.
(b) A long scar.
(c) A school badge.
(d) A long braid.
14. What does the eldest boy call Paka?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A herring.
(c) A toad.
(d) A mosquito.
15. What is the name of Varka's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant hear in the cathedral?
2. Whom does Varka see as the enemy in her dream state?
3. What is the occupation of Varka's master?
4. On which day do Martin Martinych and Masha board up the study?
5. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor prescribe for the middle-aged citizen?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)