|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Nanny Varka?
2. What does the eldest boy call Paka?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A mosquito.
(c) A herring.
(d) A toad.
3. What does Dolgushov give to the narrator?
(a) Twenty rubles.
(b) His papers.
(c) A love letter to his girlfriend.
(d) His mother's ring.
4. What sort of eau de cologne scent is left in the hotel by the woman in "Sunstroke"?
5. What is the name of the master's apprentice who snores in "Sleepy"?
6. Who lives downstairs from Masha and Martin Martinych?
(a) The Obertyshevs.
(b) The Oserovnayevs.
(c) The Vasilyevs.
(d) The Vashenkos.
7. Who is charged with watching over Paka?
(a) Two muses.
(b) Two Arguses.
(c) A handyman.
(d) A shepherd from the village.
8. Where do the narrator of "The Death of Dolgushov" and Grishchuk get fired upon near the town by enemy scouts?
(a) A cemetery.
(b) A carriage shop.
(c) A mill.
(d) A blacksmith's.
9. In "Sunstroke", how old is the woman's child?
10. Martin Martinych's face is as if it is made of clay, like many faces, back to whom?
(b) Peter the Great.
11. In "In Bondage," what does Antoshka say the peasants do to each other when they get mad?
(a) Curse each other.
(b) Ostracize each other.
(c) Fight each other with swords.
(d) Poison each other.
12. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor prescribe for the middle-aged citizen?
(a) Ammoniac aniseed drops.
(b) Lemon oil.
(c) Elixir of arsenic.
(d) Hawthorn root extract.
13. What does the house-chairman in "The Cave" jokingly say he prefers when asked if he would like some tea?
(d) Irish cream.
14. What is the name of Varka's late father?
(a) Efim Stepanych.
(b) Fyodor Laputin.
(c) Anton Strapovich.
(d) Vasily Konych.
15. What does Martin Martinych hide from Masha that is in his desk drawer?
(a) A blue phial.
(b) A match.
(c) A letter opener.
(d) A flask of whiskey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose scouts are scouring the field looking for the dead and for equipment in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
2. When the couple in "Sunstroke" wakes up in the morning, what does the lieutenant smell in the air?
3. What is the name of Varka's mother?
4. Which composer's Opus 74 lies on Martin's desk?
5. In "Yuletide Story", who clears up the story of the middle-aged man for the doctor?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)