|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Varka's late father?
(a) Efim Stepanych.
(b) Anton Strapovich.
(c) Fyodor Laputin.
(d) Vasily Konych.
2. What is the god of the cave-like bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay?
(a) A cast-iron stove.
(b) The bed.
(c) A telephone.
(d) A chest of jewels.
3. What is the name of Varka's mother?
4. What is the name of the master's apprentice who snores in "Sleepy"?
5. For one hour, what is in the cave as a result of the "god"?
6. In the morning, what is Varka asked to do after she lights the stove?
(a) Put on the samovar.
(b) Run to the store.
(c) Wash the clothes.
(d) Wash the dishes.
7. What does the house-chairman in "The Cave" jokingly say he prefers when asked if he would like some tea?
(d) Irish cream.
8. What is the specialty of the doctor in "Yuletide Story"?
(a) Head and spinal injuries.
(b) Internal and children's diseases.
(c) Veterinary medicine.
9. What sort of steamer does the woman take when she leaves the lieutenant in "Sunstroke"?
(a) A Samovar steamer.
(b) A stern-wheeler steamer.
(c) A Samolyot steamer.
(d) A paddle steamer.
10. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor prescribe for the middle-aged citizen?
(a) Hawthorn root extract.
(b) Ammoniac aniseed drops.
(c) Lemon oil.
(d) Elixir of arsenic.
11. What does Paka see on the eldest boy that surprises him?
(a) A school badge.
(b) A long scar.
(c) A gold watch.
(d) A long braid.
12. What does Martin Martinych hide from Masha that is in his desk drawer?
(a) A match.
(b) A blue phial.
(c) A letter opener.
(d) A flask of whiskey.
13. Who is charged with watching over Paka?
(a) Two Arguses.
(b) A handyman.
(c) A shepherd from the village.
(d) Two muses.
14. Whose scouts are scouring the field looking for the dead and for equipment in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
15. What does Varka think the hardest thing is to do when she is standing in front of the kitchen table?
(a) Chop onions.
(b) Mend bandages.
(c) Listen to the baby cry.
(d) Peel potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fabric the woman on the steamer's dress made of in "Sunstroke"?
2. When the couple in "Sunstroke" wakes up in the morning, what does the lieutenant smell in the air?
3. In "Yuletide Story", who clears up the story of the middle-aged man for the doctor?
4. What is the occupation of Varka's master?
5. What does the lieutenant drink when he gets back to the hotel in "Sunstroke"?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)