|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the morning, what is Varka asked to do after she lights the stove?
(a) Wash the clothes.
(b) Put on the samovar.
(c) Wash the dishes.
(d) Run to the store.
2. What is the name of the house-chairman who comes over to Martin Martinych's place at dusk?
3. What does the wife of Martin Martinych's downstairs neighbor hide under a napkin when he comes into their room?
(a) A coin.
(b) A coal.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A bowl.
4. What does the doctor forget at the middle-aged citizen's apartment?
(a) His hat.
(b) His overshoes.
(c) His tool bag.
(d) His umbrella.
5. On which day do Martin Martinych and Masha board up the study?
(b) Unity Day.
(d) Intercession Day.
6. What does Paka think of the boys who pass his house on the road?
(a) They are stupid.
(b) They are lucky.
(c) They are sick.
(d) They are rich.
7. Where does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" go first to assuage his loneliness for the woman?
(a) The market.
(c) The ballet.
8. What does the aunt of the middle-aged citizen want from the doctor?
(a) A house call for her ailing nephew.
(b) A bandage.
(c) More medicine.
(d) A death certificate.
9. For one hour, what is in the cave as a result of the "god"?
10. How is the woman who comes to the doctor's office in "Yuletide Story" described?
(a) As a little flower of God.
(b) As a high-society lady.
(c) As a withered streak of meanness.
(d) As a lightning rod for change.
11. What does Paka see on the eldest boy that surprises him?
(a) A long scar.
(b) A school badge.
(c) A gold watch.
(d) A long braid.
12. What does Dolgushov do for a job?
(b) Livery man.
13. What does the narrator of "Yuletide Story" say has likely caused the doctor's voice to grow husky and cracked?
(a) Yelling at his nurses.
(b) Being around sick people.
(c) Eating coarse food.
(d) Alcohol consumption.
14. What are nurses doing as they lie in the grass in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
15. What does Paka say his name would be if he were a common boy and not a prince?
Short Answer Questions
1. From where has the woman in "Sunstroke" boarded the steamer?
2. What does the house-chairman in "The Cave" jokingly say he prefers when asked if he would like some tea?
3. What is the name of Varka's late father?
4. What is the god of the cave-like bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay?
5. What does Dolgushov hand to the troop commander?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)