|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dolgushov give to the narrator?
(a) Twenty rubles.
(b) His papers.
(c) His mother's ring.
(d) A love letter to his girlfriend.
2. What does Paka see on the eldest boy that surprises him?
(a) A gold watch.
(b) A school badge.
(c) A long scar.
(d) A long braid.
3. What does the lieutenant drink when he gets back to the hotel in "Sunstroke"?
(c) Rum punch.
(d) Seltzer water.
4. Who is charged with watching over Paka?
(a) A handyman.
(b) Two muses.
(c) A shepherd from the village.
(d) Two Arguses.
5. According to Paka, the wicked fairy got cross with his mother because she hadn't invited her to what?
(a) His christening.
(b) His birthday party.
(c) Go to the circus.
6. In "Sunstroke," what river is the steamer traversing when the lieutenant meets the woman he has an attraction to?
(a) The Neva.
(b) The Volga.
(c) The Svir.
(d) The Danube.
7. In "Yuletide Story", who clears up the story of the middle-aged man for the doctor?
(a) The militia.
(b) The aunt.
(c) The grocer.
(d) The constable.
8. In "The Death of Dolgushov", what city has the enemy been beaten out of in a counterattack?
9. What does the house-chairman in "The Cave" jokingly say he prefers when asked if he would like some tea?
(a) Irish cream.
10. When Paka asked why the boys are armed as they are, who do they say they are?
11. When the couple in "Sunstroke" wakes up in the morning, what does the lieutenant smell in the air?
(b) A perfume factory.
(c) Hay and tar.
(d) Baking bread.
12. What does the wife of Martin Martinych's downstairs neighbor hide under a napkin when he comes into their room?
(a) A coal.
(b) A bowl.
(c) A coin.
(d) A spoon.
13. What is the god of the cave-like bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay?
(a) A telephone.
(b) A cast-iron stove.
(c) The bed.
(d) A chest of jewels.
14. What is the unshaven porter wearing when the couple disembarks the boat in "Sunstroke"?
(b) Shabby black shoes.
(c) A pink shirt.
15. What does Dolgushov say to use on him when the narrator finds him?
(a) A cartridge.
(d) A knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the house-chairman who comes over to Martin Martinych's place at dusk?
2. Whom does Varka see as the enemy in her dream state?
3. Which demon does the narrator of "In Bondage" say is a very petty demon, but one of the most dangerous?
4. In "Sunstroke", how old is the woman's child?
5. What does Dolgushov hand to the troop commander?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)