|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the specialty of the doctor in "Yuletide Story"?
(a) Head and spinal injuries.
(b) Internal and children's diseases.
(d) Veterinary medicine.
2. What is the name of the master's apprentice who snores in "Sleepy"?
3. What will Varka's employers do if she falls asleep?
(a) Send her for coal in the snow.
(b) Beat her.
(c) Fire her.
(d) Lock her in the closet.
4. What does the eldest boy call Paka?
(a) A herring.
(b) A toad.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A mosquito.
5. What does the aunt of the middle-aged citizen want from the doctor?
(a) More medicine.
(b) A death certificate.
(c) A house call for her ailing nephew.
(d) A bandage.
6. What is the name of the middle-aged citizen, according to his aunt who comes to the doctor the day after his visit?
(a) Pyotr Petrovich.
(b) Aleksei Sardentov.
(c) Vasily Ledentsov.
(d) Paka Karpov.
7. What does Paka see on the eldest boy that surprises him?
(a) A gold watch.
(b) A school badge.
(c) A long braid.
(d) A long scar.
8. In "In Bondage", where does Paka wish to play?
(a) At the pond.
(b) At his cousin's house.
(c) In the fields.
(d) At school.
9. In "In Bondage," what does Antoshka say the peasants do to each other when they get mad?
(a) Poison each other.
(b) Curse each other.
(c) Fight each other with swords.
(d) Ostracize each other.
10. What does Varka think the hardest thing is to do when she is standing in front of the kitchen table?
(a) Peel potatoes.
(b) Chop onions.
(c) Mend bandages.
(d) Listen to the baby cry.
11. What is the name of Varka's late father?
(a) Anton Strapovich.
(b) Vasily Konych.
(c) Fyodor Laputin.
(d) Efim Stepanych.
12. What does Dolgushov do for a job?
(b) Livery man.
13. What perhaps causes the icy roar of the wind in "The Cave"?
(a) A super-mammoth.
(b) A storm.
(c) The wrath of God.
(d) A misplaced polar bear.
14. How is the woman who comes to the doctor's office in "Yuletide Story" described?
(a) As a little flower of God.
(b) As a high-society lady.
(c) As a withered streak of meanness.
(d) As a lightning rod for change.
15. Where is Dolgushov injured?
(a) His back.
(b) His belly.
(c) His head.
(d) His legs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Paka tell the boys that he and his mother used to live?
2. What are nurses doing as they lie in the grass in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
3. In "Sunstroke," what river is the steamer traversing when the lieutenant meets the woman he has an attraction to?
4. In front of the Icon in "Sleepy", what color light is burning?
5. What does Grishchuk have with him all the time?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)