|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of Varka's master?
2. How old is Nanny Varka?
3. What does the narrator of "Yuletide Story" say has likely caused the doctor's voice to grow husky and cracked?
(a) Yelling at his nurses.
(b) Being around sick people.
(c) Alcohol consumption.
(d) Eating coarse food.
4. What does Paka see on the eldest boy that surprises him?
(a) A gold watch.
(b) A school badge.
(c) A long braid.
(d) A long scar.
5. What is the name of the house-chairman who comes over to Martin Martinych's place at dusk?
6. On which day do Martin Martinych and Masha board up the study?
(c) Intercession Day.
(d) Unity Day.
7. Where do the narrator of "The Death of Dolgushov" and Grishchuk get fired upon near the town by enemy scouts?
(a) A cemetery.
(b) A carriage shop.
(c) A mill.
(d) A blacksmith's.
8. What does Dolgushov do for a job?
(a) Livery man.
9. What sort of eau de cologne scent is left in the hotel by the woman in "Sunstroke"?
10. What does Martin Martinych hide from Masha that is in his desk drawer?
(a) A blue phial.
(b) A flask of whiskey.
(c) A match.
(d) A letter opener.
11. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant hear in the cathedral?
(a) A sermon.
(b) Bells tolling.
(c) Loud singing.
(d) Ominous chanting.
12. In front of the Icon in "Sleepy", what color light is burning?
13. Who lives downstairs from Masha and Martin Martinych?
(a) The Vashenkos.
(b) The Obertyshevs.
(c) The Vasilyevs.
(d) The Oserovnayevs.
14. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who is the disgraced commander of the Fourth Division?
15. For one hour, what is in the cave as a result of the "god"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the house-chairman in "The Cave" jokingly say he prefers when asked if he would like some tea?
2. What does the wife of Martin Martinych's downstairs neighbor hide under a napkin when he comes into their room?
3. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant slap his boots with while contemplating the woman's absence in the hotel room?
4. What does Paka say his name would be if he were a common boy and not a prince?
5. What is playing below the window when Martin Martinych comes over to Masha's house while she is playing piano?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)