|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "In Bondage", where does Paka wish to play?
(a) In the fields.
(b) At school.
(c) At his cousin's house.
(d) At the pond.
2. What is the name of the middle-aged citizen, according to his aunt who comes to the doctor the day after his visit?
(a) Aleksei Sardentov.
(b) Pyotr Petrovich.
(c) Vasily Ledentsov.
(d) Paka Karpov.
3. What will Varka's employers do if she falls asleep?
(a) Fire her.
(b) Send her for coal in the snow.
(c) Lock her in the closet.
(d) Beat her.
4. What does the aunt of the middle-aged citizen want from the doctor?
(a) A bandage.
(b) More medicine.
(c) A death certificate.
(d) A house call for her ailing nephew.
5. According to Paka, the wicked fairy got cross with his mother because she hadn't invited her to what?
(a) His christening.
(b) Go to the circus.
(d) His birthday party.
6. How does the aunt put out the candles in "Yuletide Story"?
(a) By turning them upside down and smashing the wicks.
(b) By blowing them out.
(c) With her fingers.
(d) With a snuffer.
7. What sort of eau de cologne scent is left in the hotel by the woman in "Sunstroke"?
8. What does the eldest boy call Paka?
(a) A toad.
(b) A herring.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A mosquito.
9. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor prescribe for the middle-aged citizen?
(a) Elixir of arsenic.
(b) Hawthorn root extract.
(c) Ammoniac aniseed drops.
(d) Lemon oil.
10. Which demon does the narrator of "In Bondage" say is a very petty demon, but one of the most dangerous?
(a) The demon of hearsay.
(b) The demon of comparison.
(c) The demon of sloth.
(d) The demon of entitlement.
11. What is playing below the window when Martin Martinych comes over to Masha's house while she is playing piano?
(a) A trumpet.
(b) An organ-grinder.
(c) A bassoon.
(d) A violin.
12. What item of the master's is Varka asked to clean?
(a) His overshoes.
(b) His gloves.
(c) His desk.
(d) His hat.
13. Where does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" go first to assuage his loneliness for the woman?
(a) The market.
(b) The ballet.
14. What does the narrator of "Yuletide Story" say has likely caused the doctor's voice to grow husky and cracked?
(a) Alcohol consumption.
(b) Yelling at his nurses.
(c) Eating coarse food.
(d) Being around sick people.
15. In "In Bondage," what does Antoshka say the peasants do to each other when they get mad?
(a) Fight each other with swords.
(b) Ostracize each other.
(c) Poison each other.
(d) Curse each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant slap his boots with while contemplating the woman's absence in the hotel room?
2. Martin Martinych's face is as if it is made of clay, like many faces, back to whom?
3. When the couple in "Sunstroke" wakes up in the morning, what does the lieutenant smell in the air?
4. Whose scouts are scouring the field looking for the dead and for equipment in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
5. From where has the woman in "Sunstroke" boarded the steamer?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)