|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "In Bondage", where does Paka wish to play?
(a) At his cousin's house.
(b) At the pond.
(c) In the fields.
(d) At school.
2. Where does the lieutenant in "Sunstroke" go first to assuage his loneliness for the woman?
(a) The market.
(c) The ballet.
3. What does Martin Martinych hide from Masha that is in his desk drawer?
(a) A letter opener.
(b) A match.
(c) A blue phial.
(d) A flask of whiskey.
4. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who is the disgraced commander of the Fourth Division?
5. What does Paka say his name would be if he were a common boy and not a prince?
6. From where has the woman in "Sunstroke" boarded the steamer?
7. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant slap his boots with while contemplating the woman's absence in the hotel room?
(a) A swagger-stick.
(b) A night stick.
(c) A carriage whip.
(d) An umbrella.
8. What is the god of the cave-like bedroom where Martin Martinych and Masha stay?
(a) A telephone.
(b) A chest of jewels.
(c) The bed.
(d) A cast-iron stove.
9. What part of the body does the middle-aged citizen who comes to visit the doctor in "Yuletide Story" complain about?
(a) His spleen.
(b) His heart.
(c) His liver.
(d) His head.
10. In "In Bondage," what does Antoshka say the peasants do to each other when they get mad?
(a) Curse each other.
(b) Poison each other.
(c) Fight each other with swords.
(d) Ostracize each other.
11. What does the wife of Martin Martinych's downstairs neighbor hide under a napkin when he comes into their room?
(a) A coal.
(b) A bowl.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A coin.
12. What does the doctor forget at the middle-aged citizen's apartment?
(a) His hat.
(b) His umbrella.
(c) His tool bag.
(d) His overshoes.
13. In the morning, what is Varka asked to do after she lights the stove?
(a) Wash the clothes.
(b) Run to the store.
(c) Put on the samovar.
(d) Wash the dishes.
14. Who is charged with watching over Paka?
(a) A handyman.
(b) Two Arguses.
(c) Two muses.
(d) A shepherd from the village.
15. What perhaps causes the icy roar of the wind in "The Cave"?
(a) The wrath of God.
(b) A misplaced polar bear.
(c) A super-mammoth.
(d) A storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Varka's mother?
2. What will Varka's employers do if she falls asleep?
3. In "Sunstroke," what river is the steamer traversing when the lieutenant meets the woman he has an attraction to?
4. How much does the prescription cost that the doctor issues to the middle-aged citizen in "Yuletide Story"?
5. What sort of eau de cologne scent is left in the hotel by the woman in "Sunstroke"?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)