|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Sunstroke", how old is the woman's child?
2. In "Sunstroke", what does the lieutenant slap his boots with while contemplating the woman's absence in the hotel room?
(a) A night stick.
(b) A swagger-stick.
(c) An umbrella.
(d) A carriage whip.
3. In "Yuletide Story", who clears up the story of the middle-aged man for the doctor?
(a) The aunt.
(b) The militia.
(c) The grocer.
(d) The constable.
4. What is the occupation of Varka's master?
5. What sort of steamer does the woman take when she leaves the lieutenant in "Sunstroke"?
(a) A stern-wheeler steamer.
(b) A Samovar steamer.
(c) A Samolyot steamer.
(d) A paddle steamer.
6. Who is charged with watching over Paka?
(a) A handyman.
(b) A shepherd from the village.
(c) Two Arguses.
(d) Two muses.
7. In "Yuletide Story", what does the doctor prescribe for the middle-aged citizen?
(a) Ammoniac aniseed drops.
(b) Elixir of arsenic.
(c) Hawthorn root extract.
(d) Lemon oil.
8. What item of the master's is Varka asked to clean?
(a) His desk.
(b) His overshoes.
(c) His gloves.
(d) His hat.
9. How old is Nanny Varka?
10. In "The Death of Dolgushov", who is the disgraced commander of the Fourth Division?
11. Martin Martinych's face is as if it is made of clay, like many faces, back to whom?
(a) Peter the Great.
12. What does Paka say his name would be if he were a common boy and not a prince?
13. Whose scouts are scouring the field looking for the dead and for equipment in "The Death of Dolgushov"?
14. Where does Paka tell the boys that he and his mother used to live?
(a) In a castle.
(b) In a tree house.
(c) In a mansion.
(d) In a crystal cave.
15. How is the woman who comes to the doctor's office in "Yuletide Story" described?
(a) As a little flower of God.
(b) As a withered streak of meanness.
(c) As a lightning rod for change.
(d) As a high-society lady.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dolgushov do for a job?
2. Where is Dolgushov injured?
3. What does Martin Martinych hide from Masha that is in his desk drawer?
4. What does the house-chairman in "The Cave" jokingly say he prefers when asked if he would like some tea?
5. What is the name of Varka's late father?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)