|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the stationmaster's name?
(a) Samson Vyrin.
(b) Sasha Petrovich.
(c) Nikolai Rensky.
(d) Kolya Ivanovich.
2. What does the tailor in "The Clothesmender" have a special gift for?
3. What language are the verses in that tell the story on the stationmaster's wall?
4. What is the name of a type of Russian carriage?
(a) A rickshaw.
(b) A shaker.
(c) A troika.
(d) A chariot.
5. Whom does the stationmaster ask about his daughter's whereabouts as this person is snuffing out candles?
(a) The sexton.
(b) The friar.
(c) The candle maker.
(d) The nun.
6. What item of clothing does the occupant of Room One need repaired in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) A tailcoat.
(b) A sock.
(c) A bow tie.
(d) A pair of pants.
7. What jewelry is often given to the stationmaster's daughter by ladies who pass through the station?
8. How does the Bishop teach the three hermits to pray?
(a) Kneeling on the sand.
(b) According to the teaching style of Rome.
(c) By taking them back to the ship.
(d) According to the Lord's scripture.
9. How does Pushkin describe the stationmaster?
(a) A busybody.
(b) A beak-nosed charlatan.
(c) A large oaf.
(d) As a veritable martyr.
10. Where does Lukerya lead the singing when she is young?
11. What does a friend who stops by Ivan Ivanovich's place say of his writing style?
(a) That it is long-winded.
(b) That it is choppy.
(c) That it is absurd.
(d) That he is copying Pushkin.
12. What are the three hermits doing when the Bishop spies them through a spyglass?
(a) Gathering water.
(b) Holding hands.
(c) Building a fire.
(d) Eating a fish.
13. What does a friend of Ivan Ivanovich's say he thirsts to feel?
(c) God's presence.
(d) Vodka going down his throat.
14. What do editors say that Ivan Ivanovich's stories lack when he brings them to their offices?
15. Where does "The Clothesmender" take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Clothesmender," what is the tailor's real last name?
2. Who does Lukerya say has great patience when Pyotr Petrovich compliments her on her own patience?
3. What does Lukerya make the wreath out of in her dreams?
4. What does the Bishop offer the Captain in return for going to the island where the three hermits live?
5. What grade is the stationmaster?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)