|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Pyotr Petrovich say is the woman who takes up the sword in the story Lukerya tells?
(a) Lady Godiva.
(b) Catherine the Great.
(c) Joan of Arc.
(d) The Lady of Avalon.
2. What does the newspaper clerk offer Major Kovalyov as he is leaving his office?
(a) A copy of Molière's "Cyrano de Bergerac".
(b) A cigarette.
(c) Bad advice.
3. In "The Stationmaster," what is the traveler wearing who appears at the station three years before the narrator's second visit?
(a) A German patch.
(b) A Circassian fur cap.
(c) A mink coat.
(d) A sapphire ring
4. What does Lukerya keep hearing on the day of her death in "The Living Relic"?
(a) A chorus of angels.
(b) Church bells.
(c) Swarms of bees.
(d) A lark.
5. What does the Bishop offer the Captain in return for going to the island where the three hermits live?
(c) A new coat.
(d) A job with the church.
6. Who chokes on a chicken bone and dies that owned the house before the tailor?
(a) A lieutenant.
(b) A dog trainer.
(c) An executioner.
(d) A deacon.
7. What is the name of the type of small wattle shed or hut that Pyotr Petrovich finds next to the bee-garden?
(a) A plashet.
(b) An amshanik.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) An apiary.
8. Gogol says that people of the capital have shown an interest in experiments with the effects of _____.
(a) Drug therapy.
(d) Sun exposure.
9. What does a friend of Ivan Ivanovich's say he thirsts to feel?
(a) Vodka going down his throat.
(c) God's presence.
10. How do the three hermits greet the Bishop when he lands on their island?
(a) They run away.
(b) They kiss his hand.
(c) They bow.
(d) They turn their backs.
11. Who does Lukerya say has great patience when Pyotr Petrovich compliments her on her own patience?
(a) John the Baptist.
(b) Simeon Stylites.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
12. What jewelry is often given to the stationmaster's daughter by ladies who pass through the station?
13. What does the Bishop think is speeding toward his ship?
(a) A shark.
(b) A small boat.
(c) A falling star.
(d) A whale.
14. What does a friend who stops by Ivan Ivanovich's place say of his writing style?
(a) That it is absurd.
(b) That it is long-winded.
(c) That it is choppy.
(d) That he is copying Pushkin.
15. What is the name of the priest who comes to see Lukerya?
(a) Father Leonid.
(b) Father Fyodor.
(c) Father Dmitri.
(d) Father Aleksey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Major Kovalyov confront his lost nose?
2. Where is the stationmaster's daughter living with Captain Minsky?
3. In "The Clothesmender", what is the name of the real estate agent who makes the sign for the tailor?
4. To where is Ivan Yakovlevich trying to escape when he is apprehended by the police?
5. What does Prince Vyazemsky facetiously call a person who holds the post of stationmaster?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)