|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lukerya keep hearing on the day of her death in "The Living Relic"?
(a) Church bells.
(b) Swarms of bees.
(c) A chorus of angels.
(d) A lark.
2. Who suggests in "Bobok" that the corpses should no longer be ashamed?
(a) Ivan Ivanovich.
3. What is the device used to make Russian tea that the stationmaster asks his daughter to start for him when the narrator arrives?
(a) A tea press.
(b) A tea ball.
(c) A samovar.
(d) A copper kettle.
4. What jewelry is often given to the stationmaster's daughter by ladies who pass through the station?
5. What does the Bishop teach the three hermits to recite?
(a) The Holy Rosary.
(b) Hail Mary.
(c) The Nicean Creed.
(d) The Lord's Prayer.
6. What do the three hermits live in?
(a) A cave.
(b) A tree.
(c) Out in the open.
(d) An earth hut.
7. To where is Ivan Yakovlevich trying to escape when he is apprehended by the police?
8. In "The Stationmaster," what is the traveler wearing who appears at the station three years before the narrator's second visit?
(a) A mink coat.
(b) A sapphire ring
(c) A Circassian fur cap.
(d) A German patch.
9. Why does Major Kovalyov go to the newspaper office?
(a) To get a job.
(b) To get a subscription.
(c) To see if his nose has reported him missing.
(d) To put out an advertisement for his lost nose.
10. The clerk at the newspaper office says that the loss of Major Kovalyov's nose is (a) _____ business.
(a) No one's
11. In "The Clothesmender," what does the tailor's grandfather sell?
(b) Shoe leather.
(d) Shoe polish.
12. What does Ivan Ivanovich end his thinking with while sitting on the tombstone?
(a) Legendary status.
(d) Subliminal messages.
13. What does the occupant of Room One from the beginning of "The Clothesmender" do when the tailor tries to comfort him at the end of the story?
(a) Gives him more money.
(b) Shoots him.
(c) Offers him a new job as a clerk.
(d) Hits him with a stick.
14. What does the lady passing by a year prior to the story, "A Living Relic" give to Lukerya?
(a) Lotion for dry skin.
(b) A book on suffering.
(c) A red scarf.
(d) Medicine for sleeplessness.
15. What is the name of a type of Russian carriage?
(a) A rickshaw.
(b) A troika.
(c) A shaker.
(d) A chariot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the stationmaster ask about his daughter's whereabouts as this person is snuffing out candles?
2. What grade is the stationmaster?
3. What is the name of the stationmaster's daughter?
4. What is the weather like when the ship sets sail in "The Three Hermits"?
5. In "The Three Hermits", where is the Bishop sailing from?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)