|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Major Kovalyov confront his lost nose?
(a) Kazan Cathedral.
(b) Nevsky Theater.
(c) Kirov Cathedral.
(d) Balshoi Theater.
2. In "The Clothesmender," what does the tailor's grandfather sell?
(a) Shoe polish.
(c) Shoe leather.
3. What does a friend of Ivan Ivanovich's say he thirsts to feel?
(a) Vodka going down his throat.
(c) God's presence.
4. Who in the church suggests a place for the narrator to live in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) The cleaning person.
(b) The organist.
(c) The psalmodist.
(d) The bishop.
5. Why does Ivan Ivanovich surmise that coffins become so heavy?
(a) The satin lining.
(b) The type of wood used.
(c) The amount of sentimental items.
(d) Inertia of the body.
6. What does Prince Vyazemsky facetiously call a person who holds the post of stationmaster?
(a) A democrat.
(b) An ant.
(c) A dictator.
(d) A dog.
7. Whom does Lukerya's betrothed eventually marry?
(a) Lukerya's sister.
8. With what does Ivan Ivanovich begin his thinking appropriate thoughts while sitting on the tombstone?
(a) The Moscow Exhibition.
(b) Cleaning his mother's house.
(c) His priest.
(d) Saving money.
9. Where does "The Clothesmender" take place?
10. What jewelry is often given to the stationmaster's daughter by ladies who pass through the station?
11. What does the occupant of Room One from the beginning of "The Clothesmender" do when the tailor tries to comfort him at the end of the story?
(a) Hits him with a stick.
(b) Offers him a new job as a clerk.
(c) Gives him more money.
(d) Shoots him.
12. Whom does the tailor in "The Clothesmender" marry?
(a) His second cousin.
(b) The general's daughter.
(c) The woman he buys his thread from.
(d) The sister of the assistant barman.
13. Major Kovalyov's face is described as ____ where his nose used to be.
(a) Two holes.
(b) A large moon.
(c) Smooth as a pancake.
(d) Tough as a board.
14. To where is Ivan Yakovlevich trying to escape when he is apprehended by the police?
15. Why does the second hermit have trouble reciting what the Bishop teaches him?
(a) Because he is deaf.
(b) Because his whiskers are overgrown.
(c) Because he won't listen.
(d) Because he doesn't speak the same language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ivanovich do that causes the corpses to go silent?
2. What color is the water in the cemetery that is being baled out with a dipper by the gravedigger in "Bobok"?
3. What does the tailor in "The Clothesmender" have a special gift for?
4. Gogol says that people of the capital have shown an interest in experiments with the effects of _____.
5. Who else is on the ship besides the Bishop in "The Three Hermits"?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)