|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lukerya ask Pyotr Petrovich if he remembers as he is leaving the bee hut?
(a) Her gold dress.
(b) Her red slippers.
(c) Her long braid.
(d) Her strong arms.
2. To where does the police officer who brings Major Kovalyov's nose back to him, say he has to go when he is offered a cup of tea?
(a) A gymnasium.
(b) The post office.
(c) A mental asylum.
(d) A hospital.
3. What story is depicted on the stationmaster's wall?
(a) The Crucifixion.
(b) The old man and the sea.
(c) The fall of Zeus.
(d) The prodigal son.
4. Why does the second hermit have trouble reciting what the Bishop teaches him?
(a) Because his whiskers are overgrown.
(b) Because he is deaf.
(c) Because he won't listen.
(d) Because he doesn't speak the same language.
5. Whom does the tailor in "The Clothesmender" marry?
(a) The woman he buys his thread from.
(b) The sister of the assistant barman.
(c) His second cousin.
(d) The general's daughter.
6. What is the name of the stationmaster's daughter?
7. What does the Bishop think is speeding toward his ship?
(a) A shark.
(b) A falling star.
(c) A small boat.
(d) A whale.
8. Who goes hunting with Pyotr Petrovich in "A Living Relic"?
9. What is the name of a type of Russian carriage?
(a) A troika.
(b) A shaker.
(c) A chariot.
(d) A rickshaw.
10. Who tells the merchant the story of the three hermits?
(a) A fisherman.
(b) A missionary.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A mercenary.
11. What is the real last name of the occupant of Room One in "The Clothesmender"?
12. Where does Ivan Yakovlevich go to dispose of the nose he finds in his bread?
(a) Dolya Bridge.
(b) Anichkin Bridge.
(c) St. Isaac's Bridge.
(d) Police Bridge.
13. Who chokes on a chicken bone and dies that owned the house before the tailor?
(a) A lieutenant.
(b) An executioner.
(c) A deacon.
(d) A dog trainer.
14. Who else is on the ship besides the Bishop in "The Three Hermits"?
(a) Military personnel.
15. What does a friend of Ivan Ivanovich's say he thirsts to feel?
(b) Vodka going down his throat.
(d) God's presence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ivan Ivanovich surmise that coffins become so heavy?
2. With what does Ivan Ivanovich begin his thinking appropriate thoughts while sitting on the tombstone?
3. In "The Stationmaster," what is the traveler wearing who appears at the station three years before the narrator's second visit?
4. What is the name given to the station where the stationmaster and his daughter live?
5. What is the last thing Lukerya asks of Pyotr Petrovich?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)