|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Lukerya taken when the weather gets cold?
(a) To the blacksmith's house.
(b) To the shed next to the furnace.
(c) To a hospital.
(d) To the bathhouse lobby.
2. What is the real last name of the occupant of Room One in "The Clothesmender"?
3. Why does the second hermit have trouble reciting what the Bishop teaches him?
(a) Because he is deaf.
(b) Because his whiskers are overgrown.
(c) Because he won't listen.
(d) Because he doesn't speak the same language.
4. What does Lukerya keep hearing on the day of her death in "The Living Relic"?
(a) A lark.
(b) A chorus of angels.
(c) Swarms of bees.
(d) Church bells.
5. What is the name of the priest who comes to see Lukerya?
(a) Father Aleksey.
(b) Father Leonid.
(c) Father Dmitri.
(d) Father Fyodor.
6. Gogol says that people of the capital have shown an interest in experiments with the effects of _____.
(c) Sun exposure.
(d) Drug therapy.
7. Who goes hunting with Pyotr Petrovich in "A Living Relic"?
8. What does Lukerya ask Pyotr Petrovich if he remembers as he is leaving the bee hut?
(a) Her red slippers.
(b) Her strong arms.
(c) Her gold dress.
(d) Her long braid.
9. What is painted into his portrait that vexes Ivan Ivanovich?
(a) Forehead lines.
(b) A large chin.
(c) Two warts.
(d) A sea of pockmarks.
10. In "The Clothesmender," what is the tailor's real last name?
11. Major Kovalyov's face is described as ____ where his nose used to be.
(a) Tough as a board.
(b) Two holes.
(c) Smooth as a pancake.
(d) A large moon.
12. Who suggests in "Bobok" that the corpses should no longer be ashamed?
(b) Ivan Ivanovich.
13. What is the name of the stationmaster's daughter?
14. Who else is on the ship besides the Bishop in "The Three Hermits"?
(b) Military personnel.
15. What is the name of a type of Russian carriage?
(a) A troika.
(b) A chariot.
(c) A shaker.
(d) A rickshaw.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "The Clothesmender" take place?
2. Whom does Lukerya's betrothed eventually marry?
3. What does Ivan Ivanovich end his thinking with while sitting on the tombstone?
4. What grade is the stationmaster?
5. What is the last thing Lukerya asks of Pyotr Petrovich?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)