|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who must be asked before the Bishop can visit the three hermits?
(a) The Cardinal.
(b) The Captain.
(c) The General.
(d) The Colonel.
2. What is the last thing Lukerya asks of Pyotr Petrovich?
(a) To bring her back a deer from his next hunting trip.
(b) To give her some honey.
(c) To find her lost daughter.
(d) To have his mother reduce the quit-rent for the peasants.
3. How is Ivan Ivanovich described by the painter who exhibits his portrait?
4. Who is staying in Room One the next New Year's Eve in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) The Big Shot.
(b) The President.
(c) The Queen.
(d) The Ambassador.
5. Who wants Major Kovalyov to marry her daughter?
(a) Mrs. Ivanovna.
(b) Mrs. Osipovna.
(c) Mrs. Podtochina.
(d) Mrs. Petrovna.
6. What does Ivan Ivanovich end his thinking with while sitting on the tombstone?
(a) Legendary status.
(c) Subliminal messages.
7. Gogol describes the doctor that Major Kovalyov goes to see as having pitch-black _____.
8. What is the weather like when the ship sets sail in "The Three Hermits"?
9. What does the tailor's new wife say she will bring to the marriage in "The Clothesmender"?
(b) Many children.
(c) Hard work.
(d) A huge dowry.
10. In "The Clothesmender", what is the name of the real estate agent who makes the sign for the tailor?
(a) Fyodor Galensky.
(b) Vasily Konych.
(c) Prokhor Ivanych.
(d) Segei Prokhov.
11. What is the stationmaster's name?
(a) Sasha Petrovich.
(b) Samson Vyrin.
(c) Nikolai Rensky.
(d) Kolya Ivanovich.
12. What jewelry is often given to the stationmaster's daughter by ladies who pass through the station?
13. What does the Bishop suggest that the three hermits have heard of when he is teaching them to pray?
(a) The Lamb of God.
(b) The Holy Grail.
(c) The Holy Trinity.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
14. To whom is Lukerya betrothed when she is a young girl?
(a) Vasily Polyakov.
(b) Sergei Andropov.
(c) Nikolai Bogdanovich.
(d) Borislav Ivanovich.
15. Why does Major Kovalyov go to the newspaper office?
(a) To get a subscription.
(b) To see if his nose has reported him missing.
(c) To get a job.
(d) To put out an advertisement for his lost nose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Major Kovalyov give the police officer as he is leaving?
2. How do the three hermits greet the Bishop when he lands on their island?
3. Who suggests in "Bobok" that the corpses should no longer be ashamed?
4. In "The Clothesmender," what is the tailor's real last name?
5. What color is the water in the cemetery that is being baled out with a dipper by the gravedigger in "Bobok"?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)