|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Bishop offer the Captain in return for going to the island where the three hermits live?
(a) A new coat.
(b) A job with the church.
2. Who does Pyotr Petrovich say is the woman who takes up the sword in the story Lukerya tells?
(a) Lady Godiva.
(b) Catherine the Great.
(c) Joan of Arc.
(d) The Lady of Avalon.
3. What are the three hermits doing when the Bishop spies them through a spyglass?
(a) Building a fire.
(b) Holding hands.
(c) Gathering water.
(d) Eating a fish.
4. What are Pyotr Petrovich and his friend hunting for?
(b) Game hens.
(c) Black grouse.
5. What grade is the stationmaster?
6. To what variety of collegiate assessors does Major Kovalyov belong?
(a) The scholarly variety.
(b) The Caucasus variety.
(c) The clerk variety.
(d) The cornelian variety.
7. In "The Three Hermits", where is the Bishop sailing from?
8. What item of clothing does the occupant of Room One need repaired in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) A pair of pants.
(b) A sock.
(c) A bow tie.
(d) A tailcoat.
9. Where is Lukerya taken when the weather gets cold?
(a) To the blacksmith's house.
(b) To the shed next to the furnace.
(c) To a hospital.
(d) To the bathhouse lobby.
10. What jewelry is often given to the stationmaster's daughter by ladies who pass through the station?
11. What is the name given to the station where the stationmaster and his daughter live?
(a) Station Y.
(b) Stop 7.
(c) Line 45.
(d) Station X.
12. What is the name of the priest who comes to see Lukerya?
(a) Father Aleksey.
(b) Father Fyodor.
(c) Father Dmitri.
(d) Father Leonid.
13. What is painted into his portrait that vexes Ivan Ivanovich?
(a) A sea of pockmarks.
(b) Two warts.
(c) Forehead lines.
(d) A large chin.
14. What does the lady passing by a year prior to the story, "A Living Relic" give to Lukerya?
(a) A book on suffering.
(b) Lotion for dry skin.
(c) A red scarf.
(d) Medicine for sleeplessness.
15. Gogol says that people of the capital have shown an interest in experiments with the effects of _____.
(b) Sun exposure.
(d) Drug therapy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the device used to make Russian tea that the stationmaster asks his daughter to start for him when the narrator arrives?
2. What does a friend who stops by Ivan Ivanovich's place say of his writing style?
3. What is the French name of the tailor?
4. Who wants Major Kovalyov to marry her daughter?
5. Who else is on the ship besides the Bishop in "The Three Hermits"?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)