|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a friend who stops by Ivan Ivanovich's place say of his writing style?
(a) That it is absurd.
(b) That it is choppy.
(c) That he is copying Pushkin.
(d) That it is long-winded.
2. Who tells the merchant the story of the three hermits?
(a) A mercenary.
(b) A missionary.
(c) A fisherman.
(d) A doctor.
3. Why does Ivan Ivanovich surmise that coffins become so heavy?
(a) The type of wood used.
(b) Inertia of the body.
(c) The amount of sentimental items.
(d) The satin lining.
4. In "The Clothesmender", what is the name of the real estate agent who makes the sign for the tailor?
(a) Segei Prokhov.
(b) Fyodor Galensky.
(c) Vasily Konych.
(d) Prokhor Ivanych.
5. What is the device used to make Russian tea that the stationmaster asks his daughter to start for him when the narrator arrives?
(a) A tea ball.
(b) A samovar.
(c) A tea press.
(d) A copper kettle.
6. How do the three hermits greet the Bishop when he lands on their island?
(a) They bow.
(b) They turn their backs.
(c) They kiss his hand.
(d) They run away.
7. What jewelry is often given to the stationmaster's daughter by ladies who pass through the station?
8. Who asks Ivan Ivanovich if he will ever be sober in "Bobok"?
(a) Maksim Markov.
(b) Semyon Ardalyonovich.
(c) Evgeni Fomavich.
(d) Georgi Pavlov.
9. How does the Bishop teach the three hermits to pray?
(a) Kneeling on the sand.
(b) According to the Lord's scripture.
(c) By taking them back to the ship.
(d) According to the teaching style of Rome.
10. What are Pyotr Petrovich and his friend hunting for?
(b) Game hens.
(c) Black grouse.
11. To whose funeral does Ivan Ivanovich go in "Bobok"?
(a) A Major General's.
(b) A Collegiate Councilor's.
(c) A former lover's.
(d) A friend of a friend's.
12. The young man who dies of "complications" goes to which doctor before he dies?
13. What is the tailor handed when he walks into Room One after being summoned there by the occupant?
(a) A pot of money.
(b) A glass of wine.
(c) The garment he mended.
(d) The key to the room.
14. Why does Major Kovalyov go to the newspaper office?
(a) To get a subscription.
(b) To see if his nose has reported him missing.
(c) To put out an advertisement for his lost nose.
(d) To get a job.
15. To what variety of collegiate assessors does Major Kovalyov belong?
(a) The cornelian variety.
(b) The clerk variety.
(c) The scholarly variety.
(d) The Caucasus variety.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pyotr Petrovich say is the woman who takes up the sword in the story Lukerya tells?
2. In "Bobok", among the palls at the cemetery, there were also two _____.
3. Who is the governor-general of Moscow at the time "The Clothesmender" takes place?
4. Where does Ivan Yakovlevich go to dispose of the nose he finds in his bread?
5. What is the real last name of the occupant of Room One in "The Clothesmender"?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)