|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the merchant the story of the three hermits?
(a) A fisherman.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A missionary.
(d) A mercenary.
2. What does Lukerya keep hearing on the day of her death in "The Living Relic"?
(a) Church bells.
(b) A lark.
(c) Swarms of bees.
(d) A chorus of angels.
3. Gogol describes the doctor that Major Kovalyov goes to see as having pitch-black _____.
4. Who is staying in Room One the next New Year's Eve in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) The Ambassador.
(b) The Big Shot.
(c) The President.
(d) The Queen.
5. The stationmaster's daughter tries to soothe the sick hussar traveler with what?
(a) Cough elixir.
(b) Bible readings.
(c) A vinegar-soaked handkerchief.
(d) Singing by his bedside.
6. Who goes hunting with Pyotr Petrovich in "A Living Relic"?
7. What color is the water in the cemetery that is being baled out with a dipper by the gravedigger in "Bobok"?
8. To where does the police officer who brings Major Kovalyov's nose back to him, say he has to go when he is offered a cup of tea?
(a) The post office.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A gymnasium.
(d) A mental asylum.
9. What does the Bishop teach the three hermits to recite?
(a) The Holy Rosary.
(b) The Nicean Creed.
(c) Hail Mary.
(d) The Lord's Prayer.
10. What is the tailor handed when he walks into Room One after being summoned there by the occupant?
(a) A glass of wine.
(b) The key to the room.
(c) The garment he mended.
(d) A pot of money.
11. Who wants Major Kovalyov to marry her daughter?
(a) Mrs. Podtochina.
(b) Mrs. Osipovna.
(c) Mrs. Ivanovna.
(d) Mrs. Petrovna.
12. What does a friend of Ivan Ivanovich's say he thirsts to feel?
(b) God's presence.
(c) Vodka going down his throat.
13. What does Ivan Yakovlevich want for breakfast when he wakes up on March 25th?
(a) Hot bread with onion.
(b) Tea and latkes.
(c) Blini with caviar and cream.
(d) A bowl of oatmeal.
14. What is the French name of the tailor?
15. Why does the second hermit have trouble reciting what the Bishop teaches him?
(a) Because his whiskers are overgrown.
(b) Because he won't listen.
(c) Because he doesn't speak the same language.
(d) Because he is deaf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Ivan Ivanovich if he will ever be sober in "Bobok"?
2. What is the name of the stationmaster's daughter?
3. What are the three hermits doing when the Bishop spies them through a spyglass?
4. How do the three hermits greet the Bishop when he lands on their island?
5. What street does the barber Ivan Yakovlevich live on?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)