|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the type of small wattle shed or hut that Pyotr Petrovich finds next to the bee-garden?
(a) An amshanik.
(b) A plashet.
(c) An apiary.
(d) None of the answers is correct.
2. What does Lukerya keep hearing on the day of her death in "The Living Relic"?
(a) A chorus of angels.
(b) A lark.
(c) Church bells.
(d) Swarms of bees.
3. Why does the second hermit have trouble reciting what the Bishop teaches him?
(a) Because he is deaf.
(b) Because he won't listen.
(c) Because his whiskers are overgrown.
(d) Because he doesn't speak the same language.
4. In "The Nose", who is the head clerk in the Senate?
5. Whom does the stationmaster ask about his daughter's whereabouts as this person is snuffing out candles?
(a) The sexton.
(b) The friar.
(c) The candle maker.
(d) The nun.
6. To whom is Lukerya betrothed when she is a young girl?
(a) Vasily Polyakov.
(b) Sergei Andropov.
(c) Nikolai Bogdanovich.
(d) Borislav Ivanovich.
7. What does Ivan Ivanovich not like reading?
(a) Propaganda posters.
8. Who is the governor-general of Moscow at the time "The Clothesmender" takes place?
(a) Duke Sergeyevich.
(b) Prince Golitsyn.
(c) Count Zakrevsky.
(d) Baron Klinevich.
9. What is painted into his portrait that vexes Ivan Ivanovich?
(a) Two warts.
(b) Forehead lines.
(c) A large chin.
(d) A sea of pockmarks.
10. What does Major Kovalyov give the police officer as he is leaving?
(a) Some bread.
(b) A red bank note.
(d) A gold watch.
11. What does a friend of Ivan Ivanovich's say he thirsts to feel?
(b) God's presence.
(c) Vodka going down his throat.
12. What does Lukerya make the wreath out of in her dreams?
(c) Baby's breath.
13. To where does the police officer who brings Major Kovalyov's nose back to him, say he has to go when he is offered a cup of tea?
(a) The post office.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A gymnasium.
(d) A mental asylum.
14. What does the newspaper clerk offer Major Kovalyov as he is leaving his office?
(a) A copy of Molière's "Cyrano de Bergerac".
(b) Bad advice.
(c) A cigarette.
15. Who turns out to be following the ship the Bishop is on?
(a) A whaling vessel.
(b) A pirate ghost.
(c) The fisherman who initially told the story of the hermits.
(d) The three hermits.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ivan Ivanovich described by the painter who exhibits his portrait?
2. How does Pushkin describe the stationmaster?
3. Who does the woman in the story that Lukerya tells Pyotr Petrovich chase away beyond the sea?
4. Who is staying in Room One the next New Year's Eve in "The Clothesmender"?
5. Gogol says that people of the capital have shown an interest in experiments with the effects of _____.
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)