|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item of clothing does the occupant of Room One need repaired in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) A sock.
(b) A tailcoat.
(c) A bow tie.
(d) A pair of pants.
2. How does the Bishop teach the three hermits to pray?
(a) According to the teaching style of Rome.
(b) Kneeling on the sand.
(c) By taking them back to the ship.
(d) According to the Lord's scripture.
3. What does Ivan Ivanovich do that causes the corpses to go silent?
(a) He sneezes.
(b) He coughs.
(c) He talks to them.
(d) He drops his bottle.
4. What is the name of the type of small wattle shed or hut that Pyotr Petrovich finds next to the bee-garden?
(a) A plashet.
(b) An amshanik.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) An apiary.
5. Where is Lukerya taken when the weather gets cold?
(a) To the blacksmith's house.
(b) To the bathhouse lobby.
(c) To the shed next to the furnace.
(d) To a hospital.
6. What does the lady passing by a year prior to the story, "A Living Relic" give to Lukerya?
(a) A book on suffering.
(b) Medicine for sleeplessness.
(c) Lotion for dry skin.
(d) A red scarf.
7. Who else is on the ship besides the Bishop in "The Three Hermits"?
(d) Military personnel.
8. Why does the second hermit have trouble reciting what the Bishop teaches him?
(a) Because he doesn't speak the same language.
(b) Because he won't listen.
(c) Because he is deaf.
(d) Because his whiskers are overgrown.
9. In "The Stationmaster," what is the traveler wearing who appears at the station three years before the narrator's second visit?
(a) A mink coat.
(b) A sapphire ring
(c) A German patch.
(d) A Circassian fur cap.
10. Gogol says that people of the capital have shown an interest in experiments with the effects of _____.
(a) Drug therapy.
(b) Sun exposure.
11. Where does Ivan Yakovlevich go to dispose of the nose he finds in his bread?
(a) Police Bridge.
(b) Dolya Bridge.
(c) Anichkin Bridge.
(d) St. Isaac's Bridge.
12. What author's "bons mots" does Ivan Ivanovich say he wishes to collect?
13. How are the three hermits described?
(a) As warlocks.
(b) As great singers.
(c) As godly men.
(d) As heathens.
14. Who asks Ivan Ivanovich if he will ever be sober in "Bobok"?
(a) Maksim Markov.
(b) Semyon Ardalyonovich.
(c) Georgi Pavlov.
(d) Evgeni Fomavich.
15. What is the tailor handed when he walks into Room One after being summoned there by the occupant?
(a) A glass of wine.
(b) A pot of money.
(c) The garment he mended.
(d) The key to the room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the priest who comes to see Lukerya?
2. Why does Major Kovalyov go to the newspaper office?
3. In "The Three Hermits", where is the Bishop sailing from?
4. What are the three hermits doing when the Bishop spies them through a spyglass?
5. Why does Ivan Ivanovich surmise that coffins become so heavy?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)