|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Bishop go when he finds he doesn't feel like sleeping?
(a) The stern.
(b) The Captain's cabin.
(c) Below decks.
(d) The bow.
2. How does Pushkin describe the stationmaster?
(a) As a veritable martyr.
(b) A beak-nosed charlatan.
(c) A large oaf.
(d) A busybody.
3. What is the tailor handed when he walks into Room One after being summoned there by the occupant?
(a) A pot of money.
(b) The key to the room.
(c) A glass of wine.
(d) The garment he mended.
4. In "The Clothesmender," what is the tailor's real last name?
5. Where does Major Kovalyov confront his lost nose?
(a) Kirov Cathedral.
(b) Kazan Cathedral.
(c) Balshoi Theater.
(d) Nevsky Theater.
6. What does the newspaper clerk offer Major Kovalyov as he is leaving his office?
(a) A copy of Molière's "Cyrano de Bergerac".
(b) A cigarette.
(c) Bad advice.
7. To what variety of collegiate assessors does Major Kovalyov belong?
(a) The scholarly variety.
(b) The cornelian variety.
(c) The Caucasus variety.
(d) The clerk variety.
8. What does Prince Vyazemsky facetiously call a person who holds the post of stationmaster?
(a) A democrat.
(b) A dictator.
(c) A dog.
(d) An ant.
9. What is painted on the sign by the gate in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) A krasnya kniga.
(b) An armyak and a poddyovka.
(c) A wedding dress.
(d) Two clergy robes.
10. What street does the barber Ivan Yakovlevich live on?
(a) Voznesensky Avenue.
(b) Pushkin Street.
(c) Krasnoy Street.
(d) Kolya Avenue.
11. What do editors say that Ivan Ivanovich's stories lack when he brings them to their offices?
12. To where is Ivan Yakovlevich trying to escape when he is apprehended by the police?
13. What author's "bons mots" does Ivan Ivanovich say he wishes to collect?
14. What does the tailor in "The Clothesmender" have a special gift for?
15. How are the three hermits described?
(a) As heathens.
(b) As warlocks.
(c) As great singers.
(d) As godly men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the occupant of Room One from the beginning of "The Clothesmender" do when the tailor tries to comfort him at the end of the story?
2. What does the Bishop think is speeding toward his ship?
3. How is Ivan Ivanovich described by the painter who exhibits his portrait?
4. What is the name given to the station where the stationmaster and his daughter live?
5. Gogol says that people of the capital have shown an interest in experiments with the effects of _____.
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)