|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what language does Ivan Ivanovich translate books for booksellers?
2. What does the narrator hope will loosen the stationmaster's tongue with regard to the whereabouts of his daughter?
(a) Rum punch.
(b) Cough elixir.
3. What are the three hermits doing when the Bishop spies them through a spyglass?
(a) Building a fire.
(b) Gathering water.
(c) Eating a fish.
(d) Holding hands.
4. Who does Lukerya say has great patience when Pyotr Petrovich compliments her on her own patience?
(b) Simeon Stylites.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
(d) John the Baptist.
5. What is the stationmaster's name?
(a) Nikolai Rensky.
(b) Kolya Ivanovich.
(c) Samson Vyrin.
(d) Sasha Petrovich.
6. In "The Clothesmender," what does the tailor's grandfather sell?
(c) Shoe leather.
(d) Shoe polish.
7. What does the police inspector prefer to everything else in "The Nose"?
(b) A compliment.
(d) A bank note.
8. Gogol describes the doctor that Major Kovalyov goes to see as having pitch-black _____.
9. Where is the Bishop sailing to in "The Three Hermits"?
(a) The Solovetsky Islands.
(b) The Sakhalin Islands.
(c) The Kuril Islands.
10. What are Pyotr Petrovich and his friend hunting for?
(a) Game hens.
(b) Black grouse.
11. What item of clothing does the occupant of Room One need repaired in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) A tailcoat.
(b) A pair of pants.
(c) A bow tie.
(d) A sock.
12. What does the Bishop think is speeding toward his ship?
(a) A falling star.
(b) A shark.
(c) A whale.
(d) A small boat.
13. Who must be asked before the Bishop can visit the three hermits?
(a) The Captain.
(b) The General.
(c) The Colonel.
(d) The Cardinal.
14. How is Ivan Ivanovich described by the painter who exhibits his portrait?
15. What does Prince Vyazemsky facetiously call a person who holds the post of stationmaster?
(a) A dog.
(b) A dictator.
(c) An ant.
(d) A democrat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of a type of Russian carriage?
2. What is the device used to make Russian tea that the stationmaster asks his daughter to start for him when the narrator arrives?
3. Where does Major Kovalyov confront his lost nose?
4. What does the tailor's new wife say she will bring to the marriage in "The Clothesmender"?
5. What is the name of the stationmaster's daughter?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)