|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the three hermits greet the Bishop when he lands on their island?
(a) They turn their backs.
(b) They bow.
(c) They kiss his hand.
(d) They run away.
2. What author's "bons mots" does Ivan Ivanovich say he wishes to collect?
3. What does the narrator hope will loosen the stationmaster's tongue with regard to the whereabouts of his daughter?
(b) Cough elixir.
(c) Rum punch.
4. What does Ivan Ivanovich end his thinking with while sitting on the tombstone?
(a) Subliminal messages.
(c) Legendary status.
5. Who does Lukerya say has great patience when Pyotr Petrovich compliments her on her own patience?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(b) Simeon Stylites.
(c) John the Baptist.
6. Gogol describes the doctor that Major Kovalyov goes to see as having pitch-black _____.
7. Who chokes on a chicken bone and dies that owned the house before the tailor?
(a) A deacon.
(b) A lieutenant.
(c) An executioner.
(d) A dog trainer.
8. In "Bobok", among the palls at the cemetery, there were also two _____.
9. Where does the hussar pretend he is taking the stationmaster's daughter when he abducts her?
(a) The store.
(c) Her friend's house.
10. To whom is Lukerya betrothed when she is a young girl?
(a) Vasily Polyakov.
(b) Borislav Ivanovich.
(c) Sergei Andropov.
(d) Nikolai Bogdanovich.
11. Who wants Major Kovalyov to marry her daughter?
(a) Mrs. Podtochina.
(b) Mrs. Osipovna.
(c) Mrs. Ivanovna.
(d) Mrs. Petrovna.
12. What are Pyotr Petrovich and his friend hunting for?
(a) Black grouse.
(d) Game hens.
13. What item of clothing does the occupant of Room One need repaired in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) A tailcoat.
(b) A bow tie.
(c) A sock.
(d) A pair of pants.
14. In "The Clothesmender," what does the tailor's grandfather sell?
(a) Shoe polish.
(d) Shoe leather.
15. What does the tailor's new wife say she will bring to the marriage in "The Clothesmender"?
(a) A huge dowry.
(b) Many children.
(d) Hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a friend of Ivan Ivanovich's say he thirsts to feel?
2. Who does Pyotr Petrovich say is the woman who takes up the sword in the story Lukerya tells?
3. What does Lukerya make the wreath out of in her dreams?
4. To whose funeral does Ivan Ivanovich go in "Bobok"?
5. In "The Nose", who is the head clerk in the Senate?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)