|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alquist think that stars are no longer any good?
2. Who does Anquist decide to cut open?
3. Who does Alquist ask to clean up the dissection room?
4. What does Alquist ask Helena to get for him?
5. What does Primus think is the greatest thing in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
R.U.R is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did R.U.R help to set the template for similar plays and works of literature? Do modern novels and plays still use the ideas the author uses in R.U.R?
Essay Topic 2
R.U.R is translated from Czech into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1920s.
1) In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2) How does the play express the changes Europe was going through at the time?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)