|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Helena burn the documents?
2. What instrument does Helena play?
3. What does Domin say is all over?
4. What does Fabry ask for?
5. What kills Busman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have the robots ordered Alquist to do?
2. What is R.U.R's ultimate goal?
3. How was Mr. Rossum Sr important to the discovery of robots?
4. Why does Domin not regret producing the robots?
5. Why does Helena want to leave the island?
6. What gifts have Domin and the other managers bought for Helena?
7. What does Domin think about Rossum Sr?
8. Why do the factory managers join Domn and Helena in the office?
9. How does Domin shock Helena when he calls back Marius and Sulla?
10. How does Busman die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
R.U.R is translated from Czech into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1920s.
1) In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2) How does the play express the changes Europe was going through at the time?
Essay Topic 3
R.U.R is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did R.U.R help to set the template for similar plays and works of literature? Do modern novels and plays still use the ideas the author uses in R.U.R?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)