|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Helena burn the documents?
2. Who does Nana say are worse than animals?
3. What is the name of the robot union?
4. What do Helena and Nana burn on the fire?
5. What mistake does Gall say they made in making the robots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Domin not regret producing the robots?
2. Summarize R.U.R
3. What does Dr. Gall report about Radius?
4. What are the letters Domin dictates to Sulla about?
5. What does Helena say is the purpose of her visit?
6. What is the managers idea for a new breed of robot?
7. How did Rossum's son continue his father's work?
8. Why does Nana think Domin should stop producing robots?
9. Why does Alquist call Helena and Primus Adam and Eve?
10. Why does Dr. Gall think the birthrate is low?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the plays reception in three different countries including the country the play was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
R.U.R is translated from Czech into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 3
R.U.R is famous for having introduced the word robot into popular culture. How has the term and the idea that robots could exist evolved? Why have humans been so fascinated by robots? What part do robots play in today's society?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)