Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Domin say a man does if you give him a stone?
2. What does Fabry buy Helena?
3. What does the living room window overlook?
4. What does Alquist say the whole world has become?
5. What are the robots trained as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first Rossum robots like?
2. Why does Alquist think the factory managers are to blame for what has happened?
3. How do Sulla and Marius react to dissection?
4. What is Fabry and Hallemier's plan?
5. Why does it not matter if robots put humans out of jobs?
6. Why does Domin want to marry Helena?
7. Why does Helena say she burned the Rossum manuscripts?
8. Why does Helena want to leave the island?
9. What gifts have Domin and the other managers bought for Helena?
10. What does Alquist want Radius to do?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the way Capek uses other characters in the play. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
A film version of R.U.R is scheduled to be releases in 2011. Why are the themes and ideas used in the play still relevant over 80 years later? How will the filmmakers have to adapt the themes of the play to fit in with the new environment?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)