|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Busman say he had a dream about?
2. What does the newspaper say that people have stopped having?
3. What does Busman buy Helena for her anniversary?
4. What are the robots unloading from the Amelia?
5. What does Alquist say the whole world has become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Helena say is the purpose of her visit?
2. How was Mr. Rossum Sr important to the discovery of robots?
3. What does Domin notice about the two boats Ameila and Ultimus?
4. Summarize R.U.R
5. Why do the managers think robots are of value to the human world?
6. How does Domin shock Helena when he calls back Marius and Sulla?
7. What do Helena and Primus say about the sunrise and Alquist's anatomy book?
8. Why did Helena want Dr. Gall to make the changes to the robots?
9. What does Alquist say in his prayer?
10. What have the robots ordered Alquist to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
R.U.R is translated from Czech into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
R.U.R is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did R.U.R help to set the template for similar plays and works of literature? Do modern novels and plays still use the ideas the author uses in R.U.R?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)