|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hallemeier name the flower he developed after Helena?
2. Why does Alquist think women have stopped having children?
3. What is the name of the robot union?
4. What is Busman going to use the money for?
5. What did Helena burn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it not matter if robots put humans out of jobs?
2. In what way does the play end on a hopeful tone?
3. What gifts have Domin and the other managers bought for Helena?
4. Summarize R.U.R
5. What is the only thing that robots feel similar to humans?
6. How did Rossum's son continue his father's work?
7. Why does Domin not regret producing the robots?
8. What does Alquist want Radius to do?
9. Why does Domin want to marry Helena?
10. What does Alquist say is happening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Capek gives some of his robot characters Greek and Roman names, including Radius and Primus. Pick one of the following ma,es and examine what meaning their name gives to their character and the story in general:
Essay Topic 2
A film version of R.U.R is scheduled to be releases in 2011. Why are the themes and ideas used in the play still relevant over 80 years later? How will the filmmakers have to adapt the themes of the play to fit in with the new environment?
Essay Topic 3
R.U.R is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did R.U.R help to set the template for similar plays and works of literature? Do modern novels and plays still use the ideas the author uses in R.U.R?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)