|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Augusten watching his mother do in the opening of the novel?
2. How does Deirdre react to Augusten's relationship with Neil Bookman?
3. What does Augusten play with while his mother is in therapy?
4. How much money does Augusten borrow from his mother before he leaves her house in Chapter 7?
5. Who does Dr. Finch find sleeping in the small room connected to his office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Agnes respond to Dr. Finch's mistresses?
2. How does Augusten cope with the stress at home?
3. What does Augusten walk in on when he visits his mother while he is skipping school?
4. What is Augusten uncomfortable at school, and what does he do about it?
5. What happens in the event leading up to the Burroughs starting marital counseling?
6. What is Augusten expecting of the Finch's home, and what does he find?
7. What is the state of Norman and Deirdre Burroughs' relationship?
8. Why has Natalie moved back home with her parents?
9. What conversation does Natalie and Augusten get into about his possible career goals?
10. Why does Hope bring Augusten to meet Neil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in the memoir battle with debilitating obsessions. Create a list of three characters that deal with various obsessions throughout the course of the memoir. Compare and contrast the way that their obsessions have affected their lives. Finally, explain the way that each of these characters attempted to battle their obsessive tendencies.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the memoir, Augusten is filled with a deep admiration for his mother. Explain the way that Augusten viewed his mother when he was a child, and explain the way that Augusten's view of her changed as he grew older.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout most of Augusten's life, Dierdre is in tumultuous and unhealthy relationships.
Part 1.) Give examples of three relationships that Deirdre was in during Augusten's childhood and explain why they were unhealthy.
Part 2.) Explain the way that each of these relationships had a larger effect on Augusten's life and perception of love.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)