|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does the Finch family celebrate with a parade?
2. In relationship with Dr. Finch, who is Kate?
3. When Augusten first meets her, what is Joranne weeping about?
4. What is Kate's profession?
5. How does Augusten feel after the sexual encounter with Neil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joranne, and what is her condition when Augusten meets her?
2. How does Augusten describe his parents at the opening of the novel?
3. Why is there a giant hole in the Finch's kitchen ceiling?
4. What happens when Augusten goes to visit Neil Bookman, under the pretense of looking at his paintings?
5. What happens in the event leading up to the Burroughs starting marital counseling?
6. What is "Bible-dipping'?
7. What is Augusten uncomfortable at school, and what does he do about it?
8. What happens when Poo Bear walks in on the kids playing with the electroshock machine?
9. What is Augusten expecting of the Finch's home, and what does he find?
10. How does Augusten get out of school after he is discouraged by another classmate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All through his life, Augusten wanted to be famous.
Part 1.) Give three examples in which Augusten showed his desire for celebrity.
Part 2.) Now that Augusten actually is famous, explain how Augusten treats his family.
Part 3.) Hypothesize on whether or not fame and celebrity is what Augusten was hoping for when he was a child.
Essay Topic 2
There are many times throughout his life that Augusten feels very alone and sought out someone to confess his emotions to.
Part 1.) Create a list of three examples in which Augusten felt alone and depressed.
Part 2.) Explain who Augusten typically chose to confess his feelings of loneliness to.
Part 3.) Explain the way that emotions and confessions shaped the relationship that Augusten had with at least one other character in the memoir.
Essay Topic 3
Both Natalie and Augusten enter sexually abusive relationships with much older partners. Compare and contrast the two relationships and explain what each character learned about themselves after escaping the abuse.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)