|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT part of a penthouse suite at the Atlantic City Golden Nugget?
2. What was the name of the 320-acre golf course Wynn had built in the desert?
3. Wynn was known for his ____________ as much as his business acumen.
4. Who was the broadcast journalist who interviewed Wynn about his businesses?
5. Harris received temporary approval of licensure from the Casino Control Commission for _____________ pending a background check.
Short Essay Questions
1. How much did Tony Cakes deposit in the Golden Nugget vault and how much did he claim to have lost while gambling?
2. What was the purpose of legalizing gambling in Atlantic City and what fears did the Governor of New Jersey have related to it?
3. What was Wynn's first purchase in Atlantic City and what did he build in its place soon afterward?
4. What was the Federal government determined to prove about Wynn's Atlantic City Golden Nugget business?
5. Who was Anthony "Tony Cakes" Castelbuono and what agreement did he make to get back into the good graces of his Sicilian contacts?
6. How was Meyerson a mixed blessing to Wynn's Atlantic City business?
7. How did mob presence increase with the revitalization of Atlantic City?
8. What comprised Harris' compensation package?
9. How did Wynn incorporate his fascination with dolphins into the Mirage?
10. Who were some of the celebrities Wynn used in marketing campaigns for The Mirage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in America in the 1970s and 1980s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about women was evident in how Wynn's wife led her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Steve Wynn seems like a man leading a charmed life. What did he appreciate most about his life? What did he not like that he had to deal with in his life? How can Wynn best be described by his colleagues? Would his employees differ in their descriptions of him? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of the Mafia in the mid- to late-20th century. How pervasive was mob influence in Las Vegas? How did the presence of the Mafia hurt the city? How did Wynn justify his relationships with mobsters when he was supposedly working under the guise of cleaning up the city?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)