|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what year was the Frontier in bankruptcy?
2. The new hotel would be located next to which hotel?
3. Which of the following did Wynn's parents NOT want him to be?
4. How many spectators gathered to watch the destruction of the hotel?
5. In what year did Wynn complete renovations on the Golden Nugget?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was the Dunes Hotel and Casino and Las Vegas destroyed?
2. Why did Wynn make the decision to renovate the Golden Nugget?
3. What did the destruction of the Dunes signify for Steve Wynn and for Las Vegas as a whole?
4. What were the circumstances of Mike Wynn's untimely death?
5. What were the Las Vegas dreams of Wynn's father, Mike?
6. How was Wynn able to purchase the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas when E. Parry Thomas was unable to do so?
7. What lasting impact did Mike Wynn have on his son, Steve?
8. Why did the authorities typically not arrest anyone for operating bingo halls or playing bingo?
9. What hotel would be built in the place vacated by the Dunes?
10. Who were Louis Cappiello and Camilo Azzinaro, what was unusual about their influential positions and what was the speculation about their true functions in Wynn's enterprises?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it RUNNING SCARED? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of the Mafia in the mid- to late-20th century. How pervasive was mob influence in Las Vegas? How did the presence of the Mafia hurt the city? How did Wynn justify his relationships with mobsters when he was supposedly working under the guise of cleaning up the city?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting and time period for Wynn's development and expansion into Las Vegas. What was America like during this time period? What was Las Vegas like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Wynn and those around him?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)