Prologue - Pirates in the Desert
• On October 27, 1993, more than 200,000 spectators crowded the Las Vegas Strip to watch the immolation of the famous Dunes Hotel and Casino.
• Las Vegas was attempting to re-brand itself as a more family-oriented destination as opposed to the infamous Mafia-run city of debauchery and sin.
• The destruction of the Dunes would make way for a new hotel called Treasure Island which would be located next to The Mirage Hotel.
• The destruction of the Dunes and the building of Treasure Island marked the official entry of Steve Wynn into the Las Vegas casino industry.
• Of all the landmarks in Las Vegas, the Dunes seemed to be the most representative of the presence of organized crime.
• Included in the evening's destruction filled with pyrotechnics, Wynn had also organized filming of the event to be included in an infomercial entitled "Treasure Island, The Adventure Begins."
This section contains 1,971 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)