|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes Jessie go back to bed after watching television in Chapter 23?
2. In Chapter 17, where does Jessie eat?
3. What does Mr. Neely agree to do the first time he speaks to Jessie on the phone?
4. Why do the reporters stop walking away during Jessie's press conference?
5. Why are the reporters at the press conference confused when Jessie mentions Mr. Neely?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Neely give Jessie a glass of water when he first brings her to his apartment?
2. At Jessie's press conference in Chapter 21, what does Jessie learn about Mr. Neely?
3. In Chapter 15, how does Jessie feel about her escape from Clifton?
4. Why does Jessie name the presidents in Chapter 21?
5. Why does Jessie think of her cat after jumping out of a window?
6. What does Katie tell Jessie about the children of Clifton in Chapter 22?
7. How does Jessie feel when she wakes up in Chapter 22 after fainting?
8. What happens in Chapter 18 when Mr. Neely invites his friends over?
9. What does Jessie see on television in the hospital in Chapter 23?
10. How does Jessie feel when she meets Ray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of fear in this novel. Consider fear as a motivating factor, plot element and as a character itself.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the symbolism used in "Running Out of Time". Consider the symbolic value of rocks, trees and cars. Why does the author use this device?
Essay Topic 3
Explore how plot twists, or sudden reveals of information, are used in this novel. How do these affect the development of the plot? How do they affect the development of the characters? What makes the author's use of plot twists effective or ineffective?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)