|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miles Clifton apologize on television in Chapter 23?
2. What surprises Jessie the most the first time she visits a store in 1996?
3. Why does Ray say he stopped his car in Chapter 16?
4. While escaping Mr. Neely's apartment in Chapter 19, who does Jessie think of to inspire her to be brave?
5. In Chapter 14, why does the fat man yell at Jessie?
Short Essay Questions
1. After first leaving Clifton, what things does Jessie question about money?
2. At Jessie's press conference in Chapter 21, what does Jessie learn about Mr. Neely?
3. How does Jessie feel when she meets Ray?
4. What happens the first time Jessie uses a phone?
5. In Chapter 14, what do Jessie and the "fat man" talk about?
6. In Chapters 17 and 18, what does Jessie overhear Mr. Neely say on the phone?
7. Why does Mr. Neely give Jessie a glass of water when he first brings her to his apartment?
8. Why does Jessie think of her cat after jumping out of a window?
9. What does Jessie tell Mr. Neely when she is finally able to call him?
10. During Jessie's press conference in Chapter 21, what does she reveal about Clifton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the message the author provides about the relationship between adults and children. Are these two groups at odds with each other as enemies, or do they work together? How does the relationship change? What does this relationship reveal?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Clifton as a utopia. In what ways is Clifton a Utopian society? In what ways is it not? How is this important to "Running Out of Time"?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of the media in "Running Out of Time". Consider Jessie's relationship with the media. How do they help each other? How do they struggle with each other?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)