|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jessie do when the bread truck driver opens the doors in Chapter 12?
2. What does Katie reveal at the end of Chapter 22?
3. In Chapter 18, why is Mr. Neely so comfortable having people over when Jessie is at his apartment?
4. What surprises Jessie the most the first time she visits a store in 1996?
5. How does Jessie know she isn't dreaming in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. After first leaving Clifton, what things does Jessie question about money?
2. How does Jessie feel when she meets Ray?
3. Why does Mr. Neely give Jessie a glass of water when he first brings her to his apartment?
4. What happens the first time Jessie uses a phone?
5. What does Jessie tell Mr. Neely when she is finally able to call him?
6. How does Jessie feel when she wakes up in Chapter 22 after fainting?
7. Why does Jessie think of her cat after jumping out of a window?
8. In Chapters 17 and 18, what does Jessie overhear Mr. Neely say on the phone?
9. In Chapter 14, what do Jessie and the "fat man" talk about?
10. What happens in Chapter 18 when Mr. Neely invites his friends over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the plot development of "Running Out of Time", and then compare it to a traditional plot arc. What elements line up between these two? What do not? How do the elements of the plot of this novel strengthen the reader's interest?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Clifton as a utopia. In what ways is Clifton a Utopian society? In what ways is it not? How is this important to "Running Out of Time"?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of fear in this novel. Consider fear as a motivating factor, plot element and as a character itself.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)