|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 8, what does Jessie wonder about her holiday celebrations growing up?
2. What does Ma say Miles Clifton is most concerned about in his village?
3. What does Jessie's dad do for a living?
4. What does Ma tell Jessie to say she is doing after school at the end of Chapter 1?
5. In Chapter 9, where does the tour guide say Clifton residents have privacy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ma reveal to Jessie about Clifton?
2. In Chapter 10, how does Jessie try to leave Clifton grounds?
3. How does Jessie escape from Clifton?
4. After watching Clifton from the outside point of view, what does Jessie think of people in 1996?
5. In Chapter 1, how is Clifton described?
6. What does Ma tell Jessie after they leave the Bentons' in Chapter 1?
7. Why does Ma tell Jessie to find Mr. Neely?
8. What is strange about bathrooms to Jessie after she leaves Clifton?
9. What do Jessie's parents do to make their living in Clifton?
10. Why does Jessie's mother leave the house in the middle of the night in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism used in "Running Out of Time". Consider the symbolic value of rocks, trees and cars. Why does the author use this device?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Clifton as a utopia. In what ways is Clifton a Utopian society? In what ways is it not? How is this important to "Running Out of Time"?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of education in this novel. What role does school play inside and outside of Clifton? What alternative ways to achieve an education are presented? What is the purpose of education in this novel?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)