|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, how does Jessie get to look back at life in Clifton?
2. Who does Ma say Miles Clifton wanted to visit his village?
3. Why does Jessie walk on the grass while leaving Clifton?
4. In Chapter 5, what makes Jesse dizzy?
5. Who tells Jessie that visitors can rent the haunted trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does Ma tell Jessie about clothing?
2. How does Jessie get inside the bread truck?
3. What upsets Jessie about the middle school student visitors she meets?
4. In Chapter 8, how does Jessie almost give away her true identity?
5. What does Ma reveal to Jessie about Clifton?
6. Why does Ma tell Jessie to find Mr. Neely?
7. What does Jessie do when Ma visits with Sally and Betsy in Chapter 1?
8. Why does Jessie's mother leave the house in the middle of the night in Chapter 1?
9. What does Ma tell Jessie after they leave the Bentons' in Chapter 1?
10. When Jessie sees the Clifton school house from the outside in Chapter 9, what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "Running Out of Time" a commentary on technology? Consider Jessie's introduction to the technology of the 1990s. What are the positive uses and effects of technology? What are the negative uses and effects? What seems to be the author's message about technology?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the media in "Running Out of Time". Consider Jessie's relationship with the media. How do they help each other? How do they struggle with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the symbolism used in "Running Out of Time". Consider the symbolic value of rocks, trees and cars. Why does the author use this device?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)