|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does Ma show Jessie in her bag?
2. In Chapter 5, how does Ma describe Mr. Neely?
3. In Chapter 8, how does Jessie describe the middle school students?
4. What does Jessie say is haunted in Clifton?
5. In Chapter 7, how does Jessie decide to try to fully escape Clifton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is strange about bathrooms to Jessie after she leaves Clifton?
2. In Chapter 1, how is Clifton described?
3. What does Ma give Jessie before she leaves Clifton?
4. How does Jessie avoid being caught by Clifton security in Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 6, what things does Jessie overhear Clifton employees talk about?
6. What does Jessie do after leaving the bathroom in Chapter 7?
7. Why does Ma tell Jessie to find Mr. Neely?
8. In Chapter 10, how does Jessie try to leave Clifton grounds?
9. How does Jessie get inside the bread truck?
10. What do Jessie's parents do to make their living in Clifton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does "Running Out of Time" present a commentary on science, scientific development and evolution? Consider the ideals of the characters as well as the different opinions in the novel on this subject. What message does the author seem to suggest regarding science?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the message the author provides about the relationship between adults and children. Are these two groups at odds with each other as enemies, or do they work together? How does the relationship change? What does this relationship reveal?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the author's use of dialog to her use of descriptive passages. What are the strengths of each type of narration? When are they used? How do they develop the plot and characters of this novel?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)