|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the haunted trees in Clifton surround?
2. What is Jessie's mother's role in the village?
3. Why does Hannah think Pa won't build a new house?
4. Why is Jessie happy after using the bathroom at Clifton?
5. In Chapter 8, where is Pa when Jessie sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jessie do after leaving the bathroom in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 6, what things does Jessie overhear Clifton employees talk about?
3. What does Ma tell Jessie after they leave the Bentons' in Chapter 1?
4. What does Jessie do when Ma visits with Sally and Betsy in Chapter 1?
5. What is strange about bathrooms to Jessie after she leaves Clifton?
6. In Chapter 1, how is Clifton described?
7. What does Ma reveal to Jessie about Clifton?
8. What does Jessie think when she first sees a row of school buses?
9. How does Jessie get inside the bread truck?
10. When Jessie sees the Clifton school house from the outside in Chapter 9, what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does "Running Out of Time" present a commentary on science, scientific development and evolution? Consider the ideals of the characters as well as the different opinions in the novel on this subject. What message does the author seem to suggest regarding science?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of fear in this novel. Consider fear as a motivating factor, plot element and as a character itself.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the development of Jessie throughout this novel. Assess how the major events of the novel change her as a character. Also, explore how Jessie's personal relationships change her throughout the novel.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)