|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what is Hannah most worried about?
2. Where do the men search for Jessie in Chapter 6?
3. What does Ma do before leaving the Bentons' house in Chapter 1?
4. In Chapter 1, why does Ma tell Jessie to be careful?
5. What disease is affecting the children of Clifton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jessie do after leaving the bathroom in Chapter 7?
2. Why does Jessie's mother leave the house in the middle of the night in Chapter 1?
3. What happens when Jessie walks Katie home before she leaves Clifton?
4. What does Ma reveal to Jessie about Clifton?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Ma tell Jessie about clothing?
6. How does Jessie avoid being caught by Clifton security in Chapter 6?
7. In Chapter 7, what makes Jessie feel better about leaving Clifton?
8. In Chapter 8, how does Jessie almost give away her true identity?
9. What does Ma tell Jessie after they leave the Bentons' in Chapter 1?
10. In Chapter 5, what does Ma worry about when it comes to the health of the residents of Clifton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of fear in this novel. Consider fear as a motivating factor, plot element and as a character itself.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Jessie as a protagonist. How does she match the description of a protagonist? In what ways is she effective at anchoring this novel? In what ways is she not?
Essay Topic 3
How is "Running Out of Time" a commentary on technology? Consider Jessie's introduction to the technology of the 1990s. What are the positive uses and effects of technology? What are the negative uses and effects? What seems to be the author's message about technology?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)