|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does Jessie say she wants to do after learning the truth about Clifton?
(a) Talk to Pa.
(b) Run away immediately.
(c) Think about it for a day or so.
(d) Pretend like she didn't hear the truth.
2. In Chapter 5, how does Ma describe Mr. Neely?
(a) As being against the village of Clifton.
(b) As being a founding father of Clifton.
(c) As being a level-headed journalist.
(d) As being like a brother to her.
3. In Chapter 6, when does Jessie try to find a bathroom?
(a) After leaving the stage coach room.
(b) After getting outside the gate.
(c) After getting lost in the corridors.
(d) Before crawling out of the manhole cover.
4. Why does Jessie leave her oil lamp lit when she waits outside the Benton's cabin in Chapter 1?
(a) For comfort.
(b) She doesn't leave it lit.
(c) So her mother can see her.
(d) To keep warm.
5. In Chapter 1, why does Ma tell Jessie to be careful?
(a) Because she trips.
(b) Because she knows a secret.
(c) Because she finds money.
(d) Because she is close to a sick person.
6. What did Ma do for a living before moving to Clifton?
7. What does Ma tell Jessie to say she is doing after school at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Visiting her grandmother.
(b) Going home to sleep.
(c) Helping her sister study.
(d) Looking for herbs.
8. What do visitors do with the haunted trees?
(a) They stand inside them.
(b) They can record video from behind them.
(c) They chop them down.
(d) They climb them.
9. What does Jessie discover about the common areas of Clifton in Chapter 8?
(a) That they are being filmed by cameras.
(b) That tourists can watch the residents through them.
(c) That they are all guarded.
(d) That they all have an emergency exit.
10. What does Jessie's mom say her other children could sleep through?
(a) An alarm.
(b) A blizzard.
(c) A tornado.
(d) A thunderstorm.
11. When does Jessie say her family came to Clifton in Chapter 1?
12. In Chapter 7, how does Jessie decide to try to fully escape Clifton?
(a) With a group of tourists.
(b) By herself.
(c) With a family.
(d) With a bunch of girls.
13. Who tells Jessie that visitors can rent the haunted trees?
(a) A middle school student.
(b) The doctor.
(c) The tour guide.
(d) No one tells her this.
14. What does the tour guide say about the lack of students in the Clifton school?
(a) That school is optional in Clifton.
(b) That many children work.
(c) That some children are very ill.
(d) That there are germs going around.
15. When does Jessie realize Katie is ill?
(a) Early in the morning.
(b) Before they go to bed.
(c) During school.
(d) On their way home from school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ma say Miles Clifton wanted to visit his village?
2. How many children are in Jessie's family?
3. Why does Ma say Clifton was created?
4. What wakes Jessie in "Chapter 1"?
5. What does Jessie do when Nicole asks her to visit the gift shop in Chapter 9?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)