|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children are in Jessie's family?
2. In Chapter 5, what makes Jesse dizzy?
(a) Staying up late with Ma.
(b) Not eating all morning.
(c) Seeing herself in different clothes.
(d) Thinking about leaving Clifton.
3. Why does Hannah think Pa won't build a new house?
(a) Because he doesn't want his kids to have their own rooms.
(b) Because he isn't allowed to.
(c) Because he likes the log cabin.
(d) Because it is too expensive.
4. What does Jessie think the "large yellow carriages" are in Chapter 10?
(a) She has no idea.
(d) Monster machines.
5. Where do the men search for Jessie in Chapter 6?
(a) In the parking lot.
(b) In the underground hallway.
(c) They don't search for Jessie.
(d) In the stage coach room.
6. Where does Ma take Jessie to talk about a dangerous task in Chapter 1?
(a) To the Benton's backyard.
(b) To a hidden rock.
(c) To the general store.
(d) To the side of the river.
7. In Chapter 2, what is Hannah most worried about?
(a) Going to school.
(b) Getting dressed.
8. Who does Ma say forced the quarantine signs to be taken off of doors in Clifton?
(a) The doctor.
(b) Mr. Seward and Mr. Clifton.
(c) Pa and the doctor.
(d) Clifton and his men.
9. In Chapter 7, what sounds confuses Jessie?
(a) A phone ringing.
(b) A lock turning.
(c) A sink running.
(d) A toilet flushing.
10. Whose phone number does Jessie put in her pocket in Chapter 5?
(a) An unknown number.
(b) Mr. Seward's.
(c) Mr. Neely's.
(d) Mr. Clifton's.
11. In Chapter 10, how does Jessie feel about the birds?
12. How does Jessie end up escaping from Clifton?
(a) By running out the front gates.
(b) Through a manhole cover.
(c) Through a hole in the fence.
(d) By climbing over a fence.
13. In Chapter 1, why won't Jessie's mother let her see Betsy?
(a) Because she isn't sure where Betsy is.
(b) Because Betsy is sleeping.
(c) Because Betsy is sick.
(d) Because Betsy is angry.
14. In Chapter 5, how does Ma describe Mr. Neely?
(a) As being a level-headed journalist.
(b) As being a founding father of Clifton.
(c) As being like a brother to her.
(d) As being against the village of Clifton.
15. What does the tour guide say about the lack of students in the Clifton school?
(a) That school is optional in Clifton.
(b) That many children work.
(c) That there are germs going around.
(d) That some children are very ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jessie's mother's role in the village?
2. Why does Ma suggest Jessie meet with Mr. Neely in Chapter 5?
3. Why is Jessie happy after using the bathroom at Clifton?
4. What does Ma say Miles Clifton is most concerned about in his village?
5. What historical town does Ma compare Clifton to?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)