|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Mervyn sent to England to go to college?
2. How many ways were there to describe the smell of a durian fruit?
3. How old was the fort, where the old governor's home was located?
(a) 100 years.
(b) 250 years.
(c) 200 years.
(d) 150 years.
4. On their way to the December races, where would the Gasanawa group go swimming?
5. How far could a thalagoya leap from a tree to the ground?
(a) 40 ft.
(b) 10 ft.
(c) 5 ft.
(d) 20 ft.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color dress did the Dutch governor's daughter wear when she appeared as a ghost?
2. How many yards did the porch run along the front of the old governor's home?
3. What color was a church painted that Michael saw on Reclamation Street in Colombo?
4. How old was Michael when he realized he had slipped past a childhood he had ignored and not understood?
5. What color were the cement floors where Michael used to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did a Dutch governor's daughter appear as a ghost?
2. Describe the thalagoya.
3. What happened at Philip Ondaatje's funeral?
4. When did Michael's parents' generation grow up?
5. Why did Mervyn take a short trip to Ireland when the university closed down?
6. What did Lalla look like when she was at the racetrack?
7. What could Michael see and hear in his friend's house when he awoke from a dream?
8. What was the heat like in Colombo?
9. Describe the kabaragoya Michael and the children found dead on the beach.
10. What was Mervyn like when his dipsomania would recur?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)