|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color were the cement floors where Michael used to live?
2. Who did Mervyn become engaged to while his parents thought he was a student?
(a) A Duke's daughter.
(b) Russian countess.
(c) A Cambridge student.
(d) French heiress.
3. When was Reverend Jurgen Ondaatje the translator and chaplain in Colombo?
4. How long was Robert Knox held captive by a Kandyan king?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 5 years.
5. How deep was the section of Kandy lake where Francis de Saram attempted to drown himself?
(a) 4 feet.
(b) 6 inches.
(c) 2 feet.
(d) 12 inches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Francis de Saram work?
2. What color was the uniform insurgents wore?
3. When was Mervyn sent to England to go to college?
4. In what region of Ceylon was Jaffna located?
5. In Michael's dream that caused him to return to Ceylon, what would he see his father surrounded by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lalla look like when she was at the racetrack?
2. Why was it difficult for Mervyn's father to argue with Mervyn?
3. What did Michael dream on page 27?
4. Describe the thalagoya.
5. In the introduction to Chapter 1, what nightmare did Michael experience?
6. Why was Noel Gratiaen sent down from Oxford after his first year?
7. What did Mervyn use at Rock Hill to deter the snakes?
8. How did Michael eat the curry he had for lunch at the old governor's home?
9. How did Michael feel when he awoke from a friend's house near Lake Ontario?
10. Describe the engagement ring that Mervyn bought for Doris and Gratiaen and how it was paid for.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)