|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On page 79, where was the house located that Michael was sitting in?
(a) Buller's Road.
(b) Beira Road.
(c) Glennie St.
(d) Malay St.
2. What was Doris's favorite song in the 1920s?
(a) Dream Just Dreams.
(b) After All.
(c) Moonlight Bay.
(d) A Fine Romance.
3. How deep was the section of Kandy lake where Francis de Saram attempted to drown himself?
(a) 4 feet.
(b) 6 inches.
(c) 12 inches.
(d) 2 feet.
4. When was Reverend Jurgen Ondaatje the translator and chaplain in Colombo?
5. How far could a thalagoya leap from a tree to the ground?
(a) 5 ft.
(b) 10 ft.
(c) 20 ft.
(d) 40 ft.
6. In the section titled "Tongue," what hotel on the beach did Michael and several of the children walk to?
(a) Bentota Beach Hotel.
(b) Casa Colombo Hotel.
(c) Pegasus Reef Hotel.
(d) Galle Face Hotel.
7. What year did Natalia Asarrapa die?
8. When did Mervyn's parents discover he had not passed the entrance exams for the university?
(a) 3 years later.
(b) 1 year later.
(c) 2 1/2 years later.
(d) 1 1/2 years later.
9. Who did Mervyn become engaged to after his parents arrived in England unannounced?
(a) Anna Archer.
(b) Kaye Roseleap.
(c) Martina Bryant.
(d) Catherine Billings.
10. How long was the train ride from Colombo to Jaffna?
(a) 8 hours.
(b) 5 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 7 hours.
11. In Michael's dream that caused him to return to Ceylon, what would he see his father surrounded by?
(b) Men with guns.
(d) Friends drinking.
12. What type of snake was a problem at Rock Hill?
(a) Pipe snakes.
(b) Blind snakes.
13. How long after dawn would the garden be a blaze of heat, frantic with noise and butterflies?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 5 minutes.
14. When did Michael's ancestor first arrive in Ceylon?
15. What game did the insurgents play with Michael's younger sister Susan when they came to Rock Hill?
Short Answer Questions
1. What covered the windows in homes in Ceylon?
2. How old was Natalia Asarrapa when she married?
3. How old was the fort, where the old governor's home was located?
4. In what book did Michael read these words: "she had been forced into prudence in her youth--she learned romance as she grew older. . ."?
5. During what months did Michael's grandparents move to Nuwara Eliya?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)