|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color were the walls in the old governor's home when the Dutch first built the house?
(c) Egg white.
(d) Sky blue.
2. What type of snake was a problem at Rock Hill?
(b) Blind snakes.
(c) Pipe snakes.
3. In what region of Ceylon was Jaffna located?
4. How many ways were there to describe the smell of a durian fruit?
5. In the introduction to Chapter 1, how long had there been a drought?
(a) Since November.
(b) Since March.
(c) Since April.
(d) Since December.
6. How many brothers did Simon Ondaatje have?
7. How much did Michael pay for a pair of sandals his first week in Ceylon?
(a) 35 cents.
(b) 15 cents.
(c) 10 cents.
(d) 25 cents.
8. When was Reverend Jurgen Ondaatje the translator and chaplain in Colombo?
9. Where did Mervyn go to fight during a time when the university closed for vacation?
10. When did a Dutch governor's daughter throw herself down a well?
11. What time did Mervyn's parents arrive at his apartment unannounced when they came to England to confront him?
(a) 9 p.m.
(b) 10 a.m.
(c) 7 p.m.
(d) 11 a.m.
12. Where did Mervyn and Doris marry?
13. At what university did Mervyn Ondaatje take entrance exams?
14. In 1971, what was the average age of the insurgents?
15. What was Philip Ondaatje's occupation?
(b) Plantation owner.
(c) Factory owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was a church painted that Michael saw on Reclamation Street in Colombo?
2. In the section titled "Tongue," what hotel on the beach did Michael and several of the children walk to?
3. When did Francis de Saram die?
4. When was Mervyn sent to England to go to college?
5. What did Michael have to eat for lunch when he was at the old governor's home?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)