|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a dream Michael had on page 27, what shape was his body?
2. What game did the insurgents play with Michael's younger sister Susan when they came to Rock Hill?
3. How long after Michael awoke from a dream in a house near Lake Ontario, did he have a farewell party for his trip to Ceylon?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 4 months.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 3 months.
4. When did Mervyn's parents discover he had not passed the entrance exams for the university?
(a) 3 years later.
(b) 1 1/2 years later.
(c) 2 1/2 years later.
(d) 1 year later.
5. How long did it take Mervyn's parents and sister to get to England by ship?
(a) 24 days.
(b) 5 weeks.
(c) 18 days.
(d) 3 weeks.
6. What color were the cement floors where Michael used to live?
7. How often would Philip Ondaatje travel to England?
(a) Every two years.
(b) Once a year.
(c) Every three years.
(d) Every other year.
8. What time did Mervyn's parents arrive at his apartment unannounced when they came to England to confront him?
(a) 10 a.m.
(b) 7 p.m.
(c) 11 a.m.
(d) 9 p.m.
9. How old was Michael when he left Ceylon?
10. What was the only thing Mervyn had to offer his parents and sister when they arrived in England?
(b) Dry toast.
(d) Sour milk.
11. What did Francis de Saram hold in his hand as he died?
(b) Glass of alcohol.
12. What color was the uniform insurgents wore?
13. In the poem "Sweet Like a Crow," stepping on what bird was compared to the sound of someone's voice?
14. How old did Michael believe his mother was when she met Mervyn?
15. How long had it been since Michael had been in Ceylon?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 20 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Michael when he realized he had slipped past a childhood he had ignored and not understood?
2. Who did Mervyn become engaged to while his parents thought he was a student?
3. How tall were the doorways of the old governor's home?
4. How far could a thalagoya leap from a tree to the ground?
5. What type of snake was a problem at Rock Hill?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)