Chapter 1, Asian Rumours
• One winter night near Lake Ontario, Michael awoke at a friend's house.
• He had been dreaming of returning to his home in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka).
• First, he planned the journey in his mind; then he two months later, he planned an actual trip.
• He realized he didn't understand his childhood and needed to return to his family.
• After arriving in Ceylon, Michael stayed at the old governor's house in Jaffna.
• The house was a prize building in Northern Ceylon built in 1700.
• Michael spent a morning tracing his ancestry with his sister and Aunt Phyllis.
• Then they spent the afternoon with his Aunt Phyllis, recounting stories of the Ondaatjes family.
• That night he didn't dream, but saw an image of himself as a human pyramid composed of his family members.
Chapter 2, A Fine Romance
• In the 1920s when Michael's father Mervyn finished school, his parents...
This section contains 3,280 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)