|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard decide after Dickie leaves?
2. Where does Richard find Dickie as Richard heads out to do some paragliding in Chapter 34?
3. Dickie is always in search of _________________.
4. What is the name of Richard's plane?
5. Richard and Dickie talk about how the differences between good and evil are ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What example of coincidence does Richard use to show Dickie that he should run away from safety?
2. What is the basis of the conversation between Richard and Dickie regarding good and evil?
3. What does Richard recall about his brother, Bobby's, death?
4. What advice does Richard give Dickie about handling life's challenges?
5. How does Richard turn around the negative feelings he had regarding attending the charity ball?
6. How does Richard mentally escape the charity ball in Chapter 20?
7. What is a common theme in the book, and how does Richard use this factor to grow his character?
8. Explain some of the philosophies of life that Richard explains to Dickie such as space-time and the elements of the human experience.
9. What does Richard's attempts at getting Dickie to stay show about their relationship at this point?
10. What conclusion does Richard come to regarding himself and Dickie's leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The search for love is an important element in Richard's life. How was Richard treated as a child? How did he feel about his relationship with his brother? His parents? Does Richard find a rare love when he rediscovers Dickie? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Spirituality takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? Why is Richard considered to be more spiritual than religious? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for the main characters' lives. Will Dickie still be such a presence in Richard's life? What will Richard be doing? Will Dickie age at all or will he be eternally nine years old?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)