|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Richard give to Dickie regarding life's storms?
2. Chapter 23 opens with a memory of Dickie and his brother, ________________.
3. What event does Richard attend in Chapter 20?
4. What does Richard tell Dickie that Bobby's death meant to Richard?
5. What name does Richard give the item in #134?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis of the conversation between Richard and Dickie regarding good and evil?
2. What does Richard feel about his role as teacher in his relationship with Dickie?
3. At what point is Dickie's name changed to Dick?
4. What example of coincidence does Richard use to show Dickie that he should run away from safety?
5. What does Richard's attempts at getting Dickie to stay show about their relationship at this point?
6. How are Dickie and Richard at odds regarding security?
7. How does Richard mentally escape the charity ball in Chapter 20?
8. What advice does Richard give Dickie about handling life's challenges?
9. What name does Richard give for his religion when Dickie asks?
10. What does Richard now know that Bobby's death meant to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Richard. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
RUNNING FROM SAFETY is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)