|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Richard tell Dickie to remember when Dickie asks about marriage?
2. Bobby's death taught Richard that an individual __________________________.
3. Richard encourages Dickie to make room for _______________________.
4. What is Richard's response when Dickie asks him to tell him something that he needs to know more than anything?
5. What does Richard tell Dickie that Bobby's death meant to Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis of the conversation between Richard and Dickie regarding good and evil?
2. In what capacity was Dickie at the charity ball and why is Richard upset by Dickie's behavior there?
3. What conclusion does Richard come to regarding himself and Dickie's leaving?
4. Explain some of the philosophies of life that Richard explains to Dickie such as space-time and the elements of the human experience.
5. What does Richard now know that Bobby's death meant to him?
6. What does Richard recall about his brother, Bobby's, death?
7. What example does Richard give regarding taking a risk and doing something you love as opposed to doing what other people may think of as stability?
8. What is a common theme in the book, and how does Richard use this factor to grow his character?
9. What name does Richard give for his religion when Dickie asks?
10. Why are Richard and Leslie at cross purposes regarding what to tell Dickie about love and marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Dickie feel a different kind of loneliness from the loneliness that Richard experiences? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The search for love is an important element in Richard's life. How was Richard treated as a child? How did he feel about his relationship with his brother? His parents? Does Richard find a rare love when he rediscovers Dickie? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dickie. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary interests and attitudes?
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)