|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard tell Dickie that Bobby's death meant to Richard?
2. What job does Richard do after leaving the Air Force?
3. In Chapter 33, Richard tells Leslie that he is going to consider Dickie ______________________.
4. Bobby's death taught Richard that an individual __________________________.
5. Richard says that home to him is _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What name does Richard give for his religion when Dickie asks?
2. What does Richard now know that Bobby's death meant to him?
3. How does Richard view Dickie in Chapter 34 as opposed to seeing him as an imaginary friend in Chapter 33?
4. What is the basis of the conversation between Richard and Dickie regarding good and evil?
5. What example does Richard give regarding taking a risk and doing something you love as opposed to doing what other people may think of as stability?
6. What does Richard recall about his brother, Bobby's, death?
7. What advice does Richard give Dickie about handling life's challenges?
8. Why are Richard and Leslie at cross purposes regarding what to tell Dickie about love and marriage?
9. What example of coincidence does Richard use to show Dickie that he should run away from safety?
10. What is a common theme in the book, and how does Richard use this factor to grow his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
RUNNING FROM SAFETY is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment, then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Bach is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)