|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dickie tell Richard that Dickie did at the charity ball?
2. Richard encourages Dickie to pretend that there is a god who ________________________.
3. Richard tells Dickie that humans are ____________________.
4. Richard explains what he knows to Dickie by using _________________ metaphors.
5. What is the most important principle that Richard tries to convey to Dickie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richard's perspective on the possibility of Dickie's leaving?
2. What does Richard now know that Bobby's death meant to him?
3. How does Richard mentally escape the charity ball in Chapter 20?
4. What does Richard recall about his brother, Bobby's, death?
5. What is the basis of the conversation between Richard and Dickie regarding good and evil?
6. What name does Richard give for his religion when Dickie asks?
7. Why does Richard use the word "different" to discuss marriage with Dickie?
8. What is a common theme in the book, and how does Richard use this factor to grow his character?
9. What conclusion does Richard come to regarding himself and Dickie's leaving?
10. What example does Richard give regarding taking a risk and doing something you love as opposed to doing what other people may think of as stability?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The search for love is an important element in Richard's life. How was Richard treated as a child? How did he feel about his relationship with his brother? His parents? Does Richard find a rare love when he rediscovers Dickie? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Dickie feel a different kind of loneliness from the loneliness that Richard experiences? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Richard. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)