|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Dickie make in Chapter 38?
2. Dickie is fearful of death and _______________________.
3. What is the most important principle that Richard tries to convey to Dickie?
4. Richard tells Dickie that there are consequences of what he chooses to ________________.
5. Dickie suggests that there is probably a philosophy of bowling and ___________________ in addition to flight.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard view Dickie in Chapter 34 as opposed to seeing him as an imaginary friend in Chapter 33?
2. What is Richard's perspective on the possibility of Dickie's leaving?
3. What conclusion does Richard come to regarding himself and Dickie's leaving?
4. What example of coincidence does Richard use to show Dickie that he should run away from safety?
5. How does Richard use arithmetic to teach Dickie about life?
6. What is a common theme in the book, and how does Richard use this factor to grow his character?
7. In what capacity was Dickie at the charity ball and why is Richard upset by Dickie's behavior there?
8. What example does Richard give regarding taking a risk and doing something you love as opposed to doing what other people may think of as stability?
9. Explain some of the philosophies of life that Richard explains to Dickie such as space-time and the elements of the human experience.
10. Why are Richard and Leslie at cross purposes regarding what to tell Dickie about love and marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dickie. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary interests and attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for the main characters' lives. Will Dickie still be such a presence in Richard's life? What will Richard be doing? Will Dickie age at all or will he be eternally nine years old?
Essay Topic 3
The search for love is an important element in Richard's life. How was Richard treated as a child? How did he feel about his relationship with his brother? His parents? Does Richard find a rare love when he rediscovers Dickie? Explain.
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)