|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard's wife feels that Dickie may help Richard _______________________.
2. In Chapter 17, Richard is hanging out with his friends named Mike and _________________.
3. In Chapter 13, Dickie hands Richard a memory of ____________________.
4. In Chapter 17, Richard tells a story about hanging out with friends who want to ___________________.
5. Richard states that people come into his life at strange times to _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the landscape in which Richard finds Dickie in his mind and what does it symbolize?
2. When does Richard feel as if he has a connection with Dickie and what role has Dickie played in Richard's life?
3. Who is Dickie and what promise had Richard made to him long ago?
4. What does Richard have to promise Dickie in order for Dickie to turn over another memory?
5. What is Richard's memory of the water tower?
6. Who is Sheperd and how does Richard encounter him?
7. Describe Richard's first encounter with Dickie.
8. What does Dickie manage to teach to Richard even though Richard is providing instruction during the flight?
9. Describe the time that a woman came to Richard and started discussing his thoughts.
10. What philosophy about numbers does Richard share with Dickie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
RUNNING FROM SAFETY is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Richard. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 3
Richard was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Richard's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)