|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, Richard is hanging out with his friends named Mike and _________________.
2. Richard's brothers are Roy and __________________.
3. What is Richard doing with friends on Tiger Mountain?
4. What large item does Richard ask Dickie to recall?
5. What does Richard do with the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dickie manage to teach to Richard even though Richard is providing instruction during the flight?
2. Explain the metaphor of being captain of your own ship as Richard explains it to Dickie.
3. What is the purpose of different people coming into Richard's life?
4. Describe Richard's first encounter with Dickie.
5. What role do angels play in Richard's life?
6. Describe Dickie's sense of accomplishment in the water tower incident.
7. What is Richard's memory of the water tower?
8. What does Richard tell Dickie are the two things necessary to get through life?
9. What story does Richard tell Dickie about his friends, Mike and Jack, that lets Richard know that he and Dickie are a good team?
10. When Leslie prods him, what memories does Richard recall that might be the source of Dickie's anger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
RUNNING FROM SAFETY is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The search for love is an important element in Richard's life. How was Richard treated as a child? How did he feel about his relationship with his brother? His parents? Does Richard find a rare love when he rediscovers Dickie? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Does the book end on a note of hope for Richard or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with his inner child as his life changes and evolves? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)