|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shepherd reminds Richard that Richard has a passion for _________________ when he was young.
2. Richard tells Dickie that the two things necessary to get through life are the power of consent and ___________________.
3. Leslie points out that Richard probably has a lot in common with ______________.
4. Richard recalls meeting a woman who could _________________________.
5. Shepherd asks Richard to sign a book for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict does Richard realize he has regarding relating to Dickie?
2. Describe Richard's first encounter with Dickie.
3. When does Richard feel as if he has a connection with Dickie and what role has Dickie played in Richard's life?
4. What does Richard tell Dickie are the two things necessary to get through life?
5. What story does Richard tell Dickie about his friends, Mike and Jack, that lets Richard know that he and Dickie are a good team?
6. What does Richard have to promise Dickie in order for Dickie to turn over another memory?
7. Explain the metaphor of being captain of your own ship as Richard explains it to Dickie.
8. Why is Dickie sad about giving the memories to Richard?
9. What role do angels play in Richard's life?
10. When Leslie prods him, what memories does Richard recall that might be the source of Dickie's anger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment, then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Richard. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)