|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard respond when Dickie asks Richard's age?
2. Who is Richard's wife?
3. Leslie points out that Richard probably has a lot in common with ______________.
4. How old was Richard when his brother died?
5. Richard learns that the desert around him is created by ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of different people coming into Richard's life?
2. Explain the metaphor of being captain of your own ship as Richard explains it to Dickie.
3. When does Richard feel as if he has a connection with Dickie and what role has Dickie played in Richard's life?
4. What does Richard tell Dickie are the two things necessary to get through life?
5. When Leslie prods him, what memories does Richard recall that might be the source of Dickie's anger?
6. What is Richard's memory of the water tower?
7. What philosophy about numbers does Richard share with Dickie?
8. What conflict does Richard realize he has regarding relating to Dickie?
9. What role do angels play in Richard's life?
10. Describe what Richard sees when Leslie encourages him to remember when he was nine, right after his brother's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Richard. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
The search for love is an important element in Richard's life. How was Richard treated as a child? How did he feel about his relationship with his brother? His parents? Does Richard find a rare love when he rediscovers Dickie? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Richard used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)