|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dickie do when he sees Richard in his thoughts?
2. Richard's brothers are Roy and __________________.
3. What is Richard doing with friends on Tiger Mountain?
4. Why will it be difficult for Richard to teach anything to Dickie?
5. What is Dickie afraid that Richard will do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Richard's first encounter with Dickie.
2. Describe Dickie's sense of accomplishment in the water tower incident.
3. What conflict does Richard realize he has regarding relating to Dickie?
4. What does Richard want to do for Dickie and why will this be a daunting task?
5. Explain the metaphor of being captain of your own ship as Richard explains it to Dickie.
6. What role do angels play in Richard's life?
7. What does Dickie manage to teach to Richard even though Richard is providing instruction during the flight?
8. Describe the time that a woman came to Richard and started discussing his thoughts.
9. What is the landscape in which Richard finds Dickie in his mind and what does it symbolize?
10. What is Richard's pattern for dealing with life's challenges, and how can Dickie possibly help him in this area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Richard's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for the main characters' lives. Will Dickie still be such a presence in Richard's life? What will Richard be doing? Will Dickie age at all or will he be eternally nine years old?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)