|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cracked dry earth where Dickie lives symbolizes _______________________.
2. When Richard is trying to find Dickie, Richard's mind is described as ___________________.
3. What is the name of Richard's airplane?
4. Who is Shepherd?
5. What does Richard think about as he jumps off the mountain to paraglide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richard's pattern for dealing with life's challenges, and how can Dickie possibly help him in this area?
2. What is the premise of RUNNING FROM SAFETY: AN ADVENTURE OF THE SPIRIT?
3. Describe Richard's first encounter with Dickie.
4. What does Dickie manage to teach to Richard even though Richard is providing instruction during the flight?
5. What does Richard want to do for Dickie and why will this be a daunting task?
6. What does Richard have to promise Dickie in order for Dickie to turn over another memory?
7. What is Richard's memory of the water tower?
8. Who is Sheperd and how does Richard encounter him?
9. What conflict does Richard realize he has regarding relating to Dickie?
10. What is the purpose of different people coming into Richard's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Richard. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment, then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Bach is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)