|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the seat back that Dickie pulls out for Richard when they reach the top of the hill?
(a) A cardboard box.
(b) A car door.
(c) Richard's brother's grave stone.
(d) A tree stump.
2. What does Richard notice about the land that Dickie brought Richard to in his mind?
(a) There are flowers covering the earth.
(b) Tall trees are growing everywhere.
(c) There is grass and signs of other growth.
(d) It looks as if it has been burned.
3. Richard feels like __________________ at the event.
(b) Robin Hood.
(c) The Joker.
4. Dickie wants Richard to talk to him like a __________________.
5. Richard and Leslie discuss letting Dickie know about ___________________________.
(a) their fights and marriage lessons.
(b) their plans to move.
(c) the new baby.
(d) Richard's illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dickie tell Richard that Dickie did at the charity ball?
2. Which of the following is NOT included in Richard's fantasy of escape from the event?
3. In Chapter 36, Richard wonders if good and evil are related to ____________________.
4. Dickie is always in search of _________________.
5. Who is Richard's friend in this memory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain some of the philosophies of life that Richard explains to Dickie such as space-time and the elements of the human experience.
2. What does Richard recall about his brother, Bobby's, death?
3. What is a common theme in the book, and how does Richard use this factor to grow his character?
4. How does Richard use the metaphor of games to explain life to Dickie?
5. How does Richard view Dickie in Chapter 34 as opposed to seeing him as an imaginary friend in Chapter 33?
6. Why does Richard use the word "different" to discuss marriage with Dickie?
7. How does Richard turn around the negative feelings he had regarding attending the charity ball?
8. What does Richard tell Dickie about his religious beliefs after the death of his brother?
9. What example of coincidence does Richard use to show Dickie that he should run away from safety?
10. What does Richard's attempts at getting Dickie to stay show about their relationship at this point?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)