|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Richard discovers that many people near him at the event are ________________.
2. What does Richard tell Dickie that Bobby's death meant to Richard?
(a) It meant that he was pitied at school.
(b) It meant that he got more Christmas gifts.
(c) It meant that he was on his own.
(d) It meant that he got a bigger bedroom.
3. Richard tries to explain space-time to Dickie as if he were a/an _______________________.
(c) quantum mechanic.
4. What did Richard once dread but now enjoys?
(a) Public speaking.
5. What does Richard notice about the land that Dickie brought Richard to in his mind?
(a) There are flowers covering the earth.
(b) It looks as if it has been burned.
(c) There is grass and signs of other growth.
(d) Tall trees are growing everywhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the seat back that Dickie pulls out for Richard when they reach the top of the hill?
2. Dickie is always in search of _________________.
3. What does Richard do that improves his enjoyment of the event?
4. According to Richard, having a wife who is ________________ will make him a better person.
5. Richard recalls that there were ________________________ in leaving security behind.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain some of the philosophies of life that Richard explains to Dickie such as space-time and the elements of the human experience.
2. What example does Richard give regarding taking a risk and doing something you love as opposed to doing what other people may think of as stability?
3. What is Richard's perspective on the possibility of Dickie's leaving?
4. How does Richard mentally escape the charity ball in Chapter 20?
5. What conclusion does Richard come to regarding himself and Dickie's leaving?
6. Why are Richard and Leslie at cross purposes regarding what to tell Dickie about love and marriage?
7. How are Dickie and Richard at odds regarding security?
8. What does Richard recall about his brother, Bobby's, death?
9. What advice does Richard give Dickie about handling life's challenges?
10. How does Richard view Dickie in Chapter 34 as opposed to seeing him as an imaginary friend in Chapter 33?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)