|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Richard recalls meeting a woman who could _________________________.
(a) tell great jokes.
(b) make a souffle.
(c) make him cry.
(d) read his mind.
2. What is Dickie's reaction when Richard's friends want him to do something he does not want to do in Chapter 17?
(a) He throws a fit.
(b) He cries.
(c) He walks away.
(d) He laughs.
3. Dickie is the age that Richard was when _______________________.
(a) his brother died.
(b) he fell in love.
(c) he was on the hockey team.
(d) he got his driver's license.
4. Which of the following is NOT addressed in RUNNING FROM SAFETY: AN ADVENTURE OF THE SPIRIT?
(a) Terror attacks.
(b) Facing one's fears.
(d) Meaning of life.
5. Who shows up in Richard's life to teach him lessons?
(a) A priest.
(b) His mother.
(d) His conscience.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has the power to bring Richard's memories out?
2. Who is the only person who Dick feels he can rely on?
3. In Chapter 17, Richard tells a story about hanging out with friends who want to ___________________.
4. What does Richard respond when Dickie asks Richard's age?
5. Why will it be difficult for Richard to teach anything to Dickie?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Richard feel as if he has a connection with Dickie and what role has Dickie played in Richard's life?
2. What conflict does Richard realize he has regarding relating to Dickie?
3. Describe Richard's first encounter with Dickie.
4. What is Richard's memory of the water tower?
5. What does Richard tell Dickie are the two things necessary to get through life?
6. Who is Sheperd and how does Richard encounter him?
7. What is the purpose of different people coming into Richard's life?
8. What is the landscape in which Richard finds Dickie in his mind and what does it symbolize?
9. Explain the metaphor of being captain of your own ship as Richard explains it to Dickie.
10. Describe the time that a woman came to Richard and started discussing his thoughts.
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)