|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Motorcycle Boy give to Rusty-James for not drinking?
2. What happens to Rusty-James after he tells the doctor he is not going to the hospital?
3. What does Rusty-James steal from the drugstore?
4. What does Rusty-James hope will happen if he does not see Steve again?
5. In the present, what does Steve invite Rusty-James to do as he stands on the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Steve's being on vacation, going to school, and having a steady girlfriend at the onset of the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why, and how, Rusty-James succeeds in reaching his goal of becoming like his brother, Motorcycle Boy, by novel's end. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
"Rumble Fish" is told using a frame, a story in which the main story takes place in the past and is introduced and concluded by chapters set in the present. What it the purpose of using a frame story, and how is it effective in "Rumble Fish?"
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)