|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smokey say Rusty-James' position in the gang would be?
2. If there were still gangs, why does Smokey believe he would be president of a gang?
3. In what does Steve believe?
4. What kind of temper does Rusty-James usually have?
5. After leaving the skin flick, to what kind of bar do Rusty-James, Steve, and Motorcycle Boy go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author's methods at the beginning of the novel set the tone?
Part 1) How does Steve's arrival promote the tone of the novel at the beginning?
Part 2) How does Steve's mentioning Rusty-James' resemblance to someone enhance the tone set forth at the onset of the novel?
Part 3) How does Rusty-James' forgetfulness set up the suspense?
Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Abandonment is another theme that is integral to the storyline of "Rumble Fish." Choose one of the characters (e.g., Rusty-James, Steve, Motorcycle Boy, Rusty-James' father,) and analyze how he reacts to being abandoned throughout the story. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Rusty-James is the protagonist of "Rumble Fish." He may also be an anti-hero. Do you think he is a protagonist or anti-hero? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)