|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Motorcycle Boy give to Rusty-James for not drinking?
2. When Rusty-James and Steve wake up after passing out at the bar, who has left them?
3. What does Rusty-James like about being out in the city?
4. If there were still gangs, why does Smokey believe he would be president of a gang?
5. At Benny's, who does Rusty-James ask to step outside to talk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rusty-James and Steve are best friends. Compare and contrast how each character reacts to violence and living in the neighborhood.
Part 1) Compare how Rusty-James and Steve react to violence and living in the poverty-stricken neighborhood.
Part 2) Contrast how Rusty-James and Steve behave at the at the fight with Biff.
Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
"Rumble Fish" is told using a frame, a story in which the main story takes place in the past and is introduced and concluded by chapters set in the present. What it the purpose of using a frame story, and how is it effective in "Rumble Fish?"
Essay Topic 3
How does the perspective of distance between the past and the present affect the main protagonist, Rusty-James? Analyze how Rusty-James' character has/has not changed during the five years since the night of the knife fight.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)