|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If there were still gangs, why does Smokey believe he would be president of a gang?
2. What reason does Motorcycle Boy give to Rusty-James for not drinking?
3. What does Motorcycle Boy do right in the middle of the last rumble?
4. What does Steve say Rusty-James would do to the people in the neighborhood if he went back?
5. Rusty-James says seeing Steve again was like seeing what?
Essay Topic 1
Rusty-James and Steve are best friends. Compare and contrast how each character reacts to violence and living in the neighborhood.
Part 1) Compare how Rusty-James and Steve react to violence and living in the poverty-stricken neighborhood.
Part 2) Contrast how Rusty-James and Steve behave at the at the fight with Biff.
Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Abandonment is another theme that is integral to the storyline of "Rumble Fish." Choose one of the characters (e.g., Rusty-James, Steve, Motorcycle Boy, Rusty-James' father,) and analyze how he reacts to being abandoned throughout the story. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Steve's being on vacation, going to school, and having a steady girlfriend at the onset of the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)