|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Motorcycle Boy classify as dope?
2. What does Rusty-James do for the first time when Motorcycle Boy opens all the cages?
3. Who does Steve say is "just like a ball in a pinball machine?"
4. What does Steve fear while watching the movie?
5. Who sits down and talks to Rusty-James before going into Benny's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in "Rumble Fish" is one of disappointment and negativity. Select one of the female characters (e.g., Cassandra, Patty, Motorcycle Boy's and Rusty-James' mom,) and define how their representation is a reflection of Rusty-James' attitude. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of alienation is prevalent throughout the novel. Select one of the major characters and explain how they experience alienation, and in what manner. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Interpret the meaning of Motorcycle Boy's comment that he "never crossed the river" when asked if he saw the ocean in California. How does this exemplify the Motorcycle Boy's life choices? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)