|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rusty-James do when Smokey tells him he would not be president of the gangs?
2. How does Rusty-James think of Steve now?
3. At what age does Motorcycle Boy stop being a little kid?
4. While on the beach, to what does Rusty-James listen as Steve talks?
5. For what does Rusty-James lose his taste?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of alienation is prevalent throughout the novel. Select one of the major characters and explain how they experience alienation, and in what manner. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Rusty-James and Steve are best friends. Compare and contrast how each character reacts to violence and living in the neighborhood.
Part 1) Compare how Rusty-James and Steve react to violence and living in the poverty-stricken neighborhood.
Part 2) Contrast how Rusty-James and Steve behave at the at the fight with Biff.
Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Steve is Rusty-James' best friend and confidante, but he is also Rusty-James' foil. Explain how Steve is the opposite of, or the foil to, Rusty-James' character.
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)