|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of his body does Jack say is a miracle of construction?
2. What is the name of the Earl's son?
3. Who does Charles ask Claire to keep under control?
4. Why does Herder think Claire is sleeping with him?
5. Who does Jack say some people think he is married to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dinsdale say he in concerned by Jack's illness?
2. What do the Gurney family and the bishop discuss after the Earl's funeral?
3. Why does Jack say he cannot get married again?
4. Why can Charles initially do nothing about the Earl's will?
5. How does Tucker help the Earl prepare?
6. Why does McKyle say he is the High Voltage Messiah?
7. How does Jack prove the carelessness of the upper classes in Act 2, Scene 2?
8. How does Jack kill Grace at the end of the play?
9. How does Herder excuse Jack's strange behavior at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 16?
10. How does Jack try to prove to Dinsdale he is God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Replace the play's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Jack's illness affected one of the following areas in his life:
2. Social life.
3. Intimate relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)