|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles say is worse than insanity?
2. Who does Tucker announce?
3. What does Herder call Grace?
4. Where does Jack say he discovered who he was?
5. Who does Jack say wants Grace?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack win over Truscott?
2. Why does Dinsdale want Jack to open the village fair?
3. Why can Charles initially do nothing about the Earl's will?
4. What does Claire say is the only way Herder can change the situation?
5. What does Jack think may prohibit his marriage to Grace?
6. How does Jack try to control himself in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What reference does Jack make to Jack the Ripper in Act 2, Scene 4?
8. How does Tucker help the Earl prepare?
9. What does Jack propose a toast to in Scene 13?
10. How does Charles respond to Claire's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
THE RULING CLASS is a play. What are the differences between a play and a novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Replace the play's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)