|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tucker ask Herder if he can take at look at?
2. What does Jack say the name Grace means?
3. What does Claire tell Dinsdale he needs to learn to make if he is going to become a member of Parliament?
4. What does Herder tell Jack he is here to show him?
5. What do Claire and Dr. Herder discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the conversation between the Earl and Tucker reveal about the Earl's situation?
2. What does Jack propose a toast to in Scene 13?
3. How does Charles think they can get rid of Jack?
4. What does Jack think may prohibit his marriage to Grace?
5. How does Charles respond to Claire's death?
6. Why does Dinsdale want Jack to open the village fair?
7. Why does Dinsdale say he in concerned by Jack's illness?
8. How does Jack try to prove to Dinsdale he is God?
9. How does the Earl kill himself?
10. What does the prologue establish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine upper class life.
1) How do people in the British upper classes view life?
2) What influence have the British upper classes had on popular culture?
3) How does the author express both the negative and positive aspects of British upper class life?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Jack and Charles.
1) What is their relationship to each other?
2) How are their ideas different?
3) How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)