|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack say the brilliant light helped him to understand?
2. Who does Claire tell Jack he isn't?
3. Who enters the room moments after the Earl dies?
4. Who does Jack say some people think he is married to?
5. What kind of hospital is Dr. Herder in charge of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Earl kill himself?
2. Why can Charles initially do nothing about the Earl's will?
3. How does Tucker react to the Earl leaving him part of his legacy?
4. What does Jack propose a toast to in Scene 13?
5. How does Jack express his happiness in Scene 11?
6. How does Jack act towards Grace when he first meets her?
7. How does Herder excuse Jack's strange behavior at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 16?
8. How do the characters dress for Jack and Grace's wedding?
9. How does Jack try to prove to Dinsdale he is God?
10. What does Grace tell Charles about her night with Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1972, THE RULING CLASS was made into a film starring Peter O'Toole. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant six years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against the class system? What are Barnes' opinions on the class system and how does he express them? Why do you think he holds these opinions? Do you agree or disagree with Barnes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)