|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tucker say is plotting against Jack?
2. Who does Jack say people thought was mad?
3. Why does Claire think Herder is trying to seduce her?
4. Who does Claire tell Jack he isn't?
5. What kind of song does Tucker sing before he leaves the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charles think they can get rid of Jack?
2. What are Grace and Charles' opinions of Claire?
3. How does Jack kill Grace at the end of the play?
4. How does Jack prove he is still ill?
5. What reference does Jack make to Jack the Ripper in Act 2, Scene 4?
6. How does Jack excuse God's behavior towards some people?
7. Why does Jack say he cannot get married again?
8. What are the characters' opinions in declaring Jack insane?
9. What does Jack propose a toast to in Scene 13?
10. Why does Herder think Jack married Marguerite?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against the class system? What are Barnes' opinions on the class system and how does he express them? Why do you think he holds these opinions? Do you agree or disagree with Barnes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)