|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charles say agrees with his idea?
2. What does Tucker ask Herder if he can take at look at?
3. Why does the Earl want to marry Grace?
4. What kind of song does Tucker sing before he leaves the room?
5. What does Claire congratulate Herder in getting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McKyle say he is the High Voltage Messiah?
2. What does Herder say he is researching?
3. How does Barnes introduce Jack into the play?
4. What evidence do the police find against Tucker?
5. Why did Charles want Grace to marry the 13th Earl?
6. How does Jack prove the carelessness of the upper classes in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What does Grace tell Charles about her night with Jack?
8. What are Grace and Charles' opinions of Claire?
9. What is Herder's opinion on Jack and Grace's wedding?
10. How does the Earl kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1972, THE RULING CLASS was made into a film starring Peter O'Toole. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant six years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Compare Jack's character to the person he was at the beginning of the play to the person he is at the end.
1) What did Jack hope to achieve aboard the ship?
2) What events changes Jack ideas about life?
3) How has Jack's character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)