Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack try to levitate?
2. Why does the Earl want to marry Grace?
3. Who does Jack say he last kissed in a garden?
4. What does Herder tell Charles was illegal?
5. Who does Jack say wants Grace?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack try to control himself in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. How does Tucker help the Earl prepare?
3. Why did Charles want Grace to marry the 13th Earl?
4. What does Tucker say he thinks about Jack and the family?
5. What do the Gurney family and the bishop discuss after the Earl's funeral?
6. How do Charles and Grace try to convince Jack that Grace is Marguerite?
7. How does Tucker react to the Earl leaving him part of his legacy?
8. How does Claire flirt with Herder at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
9. How do Jack and Tucker show their solidarity in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. How does Jack say he discovered he was God?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Barnes' argument.
1) How does he introduce his ideas?
2) How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3) What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Barnes' argument?
Essay Topic 2
In 1972, THE RULING CLASS was made into a film starring Peter O'Toole. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant six years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)