|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grace surprised to see?
2. Who does Jack say he is?
3. Why does Claire think Herder is trying to seduce her?
4. What does the Guerney family want no one else to know?
5. What does the Bishop think Jack will recover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dinsdale say he in concerned by Jack's illness?
2. How does Charles think they can get rid of Jack?
3. Why can Charles initially do nothing about the Earl's will?
4. Why does Jack say he cannot get married again?
5. What does Herder say he is researching?
6. How do Jack and Tucker show their solidarity in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. What does Jack propose a toast to in Scene 13?
8. What part of upperclass life does Claire tell Jack she finds difficult?
9. What does Grace tell Charles about her night with Jack?
10. How does Herder excuse Jack's strange behavior at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Examine the novel's chronological setting. 1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns? 2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme. 1. Setting 2. Point of view 3. Structure 4. Language
Essay Topic 3Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas: 1. Character 2. Setting 3. Plot
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)