|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herder call Grace?
2. What does Claire tell Dinsdale he needs to learn to make if he is going to become a member of Parliament?
3. What is the name of the Earl's manservant?
4. For what do the Bishop and Charles set the date?
5. What does Claire say is the only way Herder can change things?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tucker say he thinks about Jack and the family?
2. What does Dr. Herder say is wrong with Jack?
3. What does Grace tell Charles about her night with Jack?
4. Why does Jack say he cannot get married again?
5. How does Jack respond when Herder accuses him of killing Claire?
6. Why does Dinsdale want Jack to open the village fair?
7. Why does McKyle say he is the High Voltage Messiah?
8. How does Jack express his happiness in Scene 11?
9. What part of upperclass life does Claire tell Jack she finds difficult?
10. What does Jack say he regrets in Act 2, Scene 3?
Essay Topic 1
In 1972, THE RULING CLASS was made into a film starring Peter O'Toole. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant six years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Jack's illness affected one of the following areas in his life:
2. Social life.
3. Intimate relationships.
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)