|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles tell Grace he is trying to preserve?
2. Who does Claire tell Jack he isn't?
3. What does Grace tell Jack she used to be?
4. What does Dinsdale tell Jack about?
5. What does Jack explain to Claire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack kill Claire?
2. How does Jack prove he is still ill?
3. How does the Earl kill himself?
4. Why can Charles initially do nothing about the Earl's will?
5. What does Grace tell Jack about her past?
6. Why does Dinsdale want Jack to open the village fair?
7. How does Charles think they can get rid of Jack?
8. What reference does Jack make to Jack the Ripper in Act 2, Scene 4?
9. How does Tucker help the Earl prepare?
10. What does Jack say he regrets in Act 2, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Barnes' argument.
1) How does he introduce his ideas?
2) How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3) What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Barnes' argument?
Essay Topic 3
What problems do Jack's generation face? How are the problems for Jack's generation different to the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)