|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the end, Catherine chooses Jason over _________________.
2. Why is Catherine apprehensive about going with Jason?
3. Catherine and Jason walk to ______________________.
4. When Catherine sees people looking at Jason with pity, she feels ____________________.
5. Jason's struggle is to ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dad's tomato garden symbolize?
2. What gift does Catherine get for Jason's birthday?
3. Why does Catherine avoid being seen with Jason at the wharf?
4. What contrasts does the author show between Kristi and Catherine when they go swimming at the pond?
5. How does Catherine show her new level of maturity regarding her relationships with David and Jason at the end?
6. What is special about the set of word cards Catherine makes as another part of Jason's birthday gift?
7. How does Jason's insistence on seeing Catherine's bad emotion card show the difference between Jason and Kristi?
8. What does Jason get that gives him more mobility?
9. Why is Catherine's running with Jason in the parking lot the emotional climax of the novel for Catherine?
10. What does Catherine think her father cares about more than his family and why does Catherine always feel that she is second on her father's list?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mom. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Cynthia Lord's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)