|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jason do when Catherine cannot answer his invitation to go to the dance?
2. Who is visiting Kristi in her front yard when Catherine arrives home?
3. Jason tells Catherine that sometimes he wishes he ___________________.
4. Mom tells Catherine that she has to ___________________.
5. Who is Jason's older brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jason's insistence on seeing Catherine's bad emotion card show the difference between Jason and Kristi?
2. What emotional barrier does Catherine cross when deciding to ask Jason to go to the dance?
3. Why does Catherine hesitate when Kristi asks her if she wants to ask Jason to go to the community dance?
4. How does Catherine help Jason "run" around the parking lot at the therapy building?
5. Why does Catherine think that Kristi has asked her to double-date at the community dance?
6. At whom does Catherine direct her frustration for being embarrassed by David and what does Catherine do in response to her anger?
7. In the end, how does Catherine decide to treat David?
8. Why does Catherine avoid being seen with Jason at the wharf?
9. Why is Catherine's running with Jason in the parking lot the emotional climax of the novel for Catherine?
10. What is the emotional impact that Jason's asking Catherine to the dance has on Catherine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in RULES. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Catherine learns from Jason? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Catherine always recall about his life when Jason was her friend?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply RULES? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)