Preface and Chapters 1-5
• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Towles, Amor. Rules of Civility. Penguin Books, 2011. E-book.
• Matthew 22:8-14 is introduced as the text's epigraph.
• It is a Biblical quote about wedding guests that illustrates the hierarchical structure of society, and other issues regarding class.
• The lengthy quote describes the occasion of a wedding and how people had been culled from the town by the couple's families in an attempt to bolster the size of the group of wedding guests witnessing the couple's marriage.
• But when a particular man arrived at the wedding, he was questioned about his lack of suitable dress, and was ultimately thrown out of the wedding venue.
• The Biblical quote concludes with the words of the man at the wedding who rejects the presence of the shabbily dressed, as he says that "many are called, but...
This section contains 11,925 words
(approx. 40 pages at 300 words per page)