|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tricks the lady in "Delilah" into telling a secret she should not have told?
2. What does the man in "McAndrew's Hymn" realize about his good behavior?
3. Whose epitaph is included in "Epitaphs of the War"?
4. What reassembles in "The Declaration of London"?
5. Why does the main character of "The 'Mary Gloster'" want to be buried there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mullholland's pact with God in "Mullholland's Contract"?
2. What does "The Lover's Litany" refer to?
3. What does "Hymn Before Action" deal with?
4. What does the poem "My Rival" detail?
5. What does "The Ballad of the King's Jest" tell the story of?
6. What does Kipling say about females in "The Female of the Species"?
7. What does Kipling's "Prelude" focus on?
8. What does "Epitaphs of War" include a variety of?
9. What does Kipling write about in "The Undertaker's Horse"?
10. What does Kipling refer to in "Gehazi"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Kipling's focus on serious issues, such as death, murder and gun control and the reason he focuses on such tough subjects.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Kipling's use of rhyme in his poetry, and why Kipling may have chosen a specific scheme.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Kipling's use of references to individuals in the Christian Bible and its significance
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)