|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Kipling's poems based on according to "Prelude"?
2. What is a reminder of those who died in "The Undertaker's Horse"?
3. What is the name of the other character of "One Viceroy Resigns"?
4. Why is the country in "Our Lady of the Snows" receiving favors?
5. Why are the hyenas not guilty of defiling the dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "The Declaration of London" refer to?
2. What does Kipling write about in "The Houses"?
3. What does Kipling say about females in "The Female of the Species"?
4. What does Kipling write about in the poem "Mesopotamia"?
5. What happens when Jack Barrett is sent to Quetta in "The Story of Uriah"?
6. What does "Hymn Before Action" deal with?
7. What happens when Tomlinson dies in "Tomlinson"?
8. What does "Epitaphs of War" include a variety of?
9. What happens to Captain O'Neil in "The Ballad of Boh Da Thone"?
10. What does Kipling's "Prelude" focus on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Kipling's reference to First Corinthians and his conclusions about grieving.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Kipling uses embellishment in his poetry and analyze its use.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the hyenas and the significance of the hyenas not having a soul.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)