|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the character in "The Ballad of the King's Jest" love to do?
2. Who realizes that God is the one who is in control in "What the People Said"?
3. What is "The Masque of Plenty" written as?
4. Where is the poem "Cruisers" located?
5. Why is the sergeant in "Pharaoh and the Sergeant" sent to Pharaoh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mullholland's pact with God in "Mullholland's Contract"?
2. What does "Hymn Before Action" deal with?
3. What does the journalist do in the poem, "Delilah"?
4. What happens when Jack Barrett is sent to Quetta in "The Story of Uriah"?
5. What does the old seamen say to God in "McAndrew's Hymn"?
6. What does "Epitaphs of War" include a variety of?
7. What does Kipling write about in "The Undertaker's Horse"?
8. What does Kipling's "Prelude" focus on?
9. What does Queen Victoria tell the people of her land in "What the People Said"?
10. What does the man on the ship describe in "The Galley-Slave"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Kipling's use of historical events in his poetry.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of leprosy in the poem, "Gehazi."
Essay Topic 3
Choose a poem in which Kipling uses repetition and analyze its use.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)