|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Connie Pen call Carolyn Simpson and Molly?
2. What does Molly put in the box that she gives to Earl Stambach?
3. Prior to Jennifer's death, what was the only image of death Molly had seen so far?
4. What happens to baby Carl?
5. What does Leroy ask Molly to do to prove he's not gay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the principal and dean of women offer Molly and Connie Pen special privileges?
2. Why does Molly continue to work for the publishing company even after she graduates from college?
3. Do you think Molly's trick on Earl Stambach was an effective way to make him stop "ratting" on her?
4. Do you think the punishment Molly receives from Carrie for fighting with Cheryl Spiegelglass is a fair one? Why or why not?
5. What conclusion does Leroy come to about Molly when she decides she also wants to buy a motorcycle?
6. Although Holly waitresses with Molly, what is her real means of maintaining her lifestyle?
7. Why does Molly decide to go to New York when Carrie refuses to allow her to move home?
8. Why does Molly refuse to be Chrys' kept woman?
9. What indication is there that Polina pursues a relationship with Molly only out of curiosity?
10. Why isn't Molly upset when Carolyn Simpson informs her that she is in love with a woman she met at a camp in Maine and doesn't exclusively love Molly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The use of labels for groups of people is a major theme in Rubyfruit Jungle. Molly abhors the use of labels, and yet she eventually begins to label people, too. What are some of the labels used in this book? What do the labels imply about the people they are used to describe? Why does Molly object to labeling? What causes her to begin using labels?
Essay Topic 2
Stereotypes abound in Rubyfruit Jungle. What stereotypes does Molly encounter? How does she feel about them? Do they affect the way she sees herself or others? How?
Essay Topic 3
Expound on the topic of power. How does it affect Molly throughout her life? Does she have a desire for power? When she has power, how does it affect her life? How does having power affect the characters in Rubyfruit Jungle? Who is helped by the use of power? Who abuses power?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)