|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Flash find waiting for him at the castle?
2. How does Flash have his hair cut in this section?
3. Who do the police refuse to allow Flash to contact?
4. What terrible act does Otto commit during the steeplechase?
5. From what country has Flashman just returned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Morrisons and Elspeth react to Flash's arrival?
2. What do the two ministers tell Flash before the wedding ceremony?
3. How does Lola react to seeing Flash again?
4. How does Flash train to become Gustaf?
5. How does Flash seduce the chambermaid?
6. Why does Flash think he deserved the jewels?
7. What news does Flash hear about Rosanna in the years between seeing her again?
8. What does Otto tell Flash before he leaves Tom's house?
9. How does Otto plan to switch Flash and the Prince?
10. Why does Flash decide he has to return to the castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way was European society going a transition in the 1840s? How does the author reflect that transition in the novel? What were the events that lead up to this transition?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)