|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Flash discover has taken up residency in London in this chapter?
2. What are the names of Otto's two men who travel with Flash?
3. What is the name of Gustav's valet?
4. What is Gustav and Irma's wedding vital in stopping?
5. What does Flashman realize he could have avoided if he did not retaliate against Rosanna?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the theater crowd react to Rosanna's posing as a Spanish dancer?
2. Why is Flash not happy on his return to London in Chapter 4?
3. How do Flash and Speedicut escape the police?
4. What does Flash discover about Countess de Landesfield?
5. How do the people in the carriage react to Flash's presence?
6. How does Otto prove his lack of sportsmanship in Chapter 2?
7. How does an affair start between Flash and Rosanna?
8. How do the Morrisons want Flash to help them?
9. Describe Harry Flashman's character.
10. Describe the eventual fight between Gully and Otto.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)