|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Flash say Mr. Morrison was proud of him?
2. What does Flash refer to his state at Lola's dinner party?
3. Who does Flash receive a mysterious letter from in this chapter?
4. What does someone suggest the hunting party does on the way back home?
5. How does Flash have his hair cut in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Flash think he deserved the jewels?
2. Why is the marriage between Prince Gustaf of Denmark and Duchess Irma so important?
3. What does de Gautet say is Otto's real plan?
4. What disappoints Flash about the Victorian era?
5. How does Hansen get killed?
6. Describe the eventual fight between Gully and Otto.
7. How does Flash seduce the chambermaid?
8. What is happening in Munich when Flash arrives?
9. What do the two ministers tell Flash before the wedding ceremony?
10. What news does Flash hear about Rosanna in the years between seeing her again?
Essay Topic 1
What was Britain like before the Victorian era? How did the Victorian era effect socialites like Harry Flashman? How has the Victorian era helped to shape British identity.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)