|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Flash have to learn in this chapter?
2. What is the name of the friend with whom Flashman wants to seek adventure?
3. What does Lord Ranelagh say Flash should not do if he sees him in public?
4. Where does Flashman hide to avoid the police?
5. What is the countess' real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Flash discover about Countess de Landesfield?
2. What does Flash do in Munich?
3. How does Otto defeat Flash in the steeplechase race?
4. How does Flash find himself in a darkened bedroom?
5. How does the theater crowd react to Rosanna's posing as a Spanish dancer?
6. What news does Flash hear about Rosanna in the years between seeing her again?
7. Describe the eventual fight between Gully and Otto.
8. How does Lord Ranelagh react to Flash's plan?
9. What do the Brits and Otto disagree about in the second chapter?
10. What disappoints Flash about the Victorian era?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Flash's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the one he is at the end.
1. What did Flash hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Flash ideas about life?
3. How has Flash's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)