|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been sent out to look for Kettricken?
2. What does Kettricken do the next morning?
3. Who poisoned Fitz?
4. For what profession was Fitz trained?
5. Who stops Fitz on the way to see Kettricken?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Verity tell Fitz about the Forged ones in Chapter 6 and what does he tell Fitz to do?
2. What does Molly tell Fitz and when he questioned her what did he find out? What do Fitz and Molly decide after their confrontation in Chapter 12?
3. Who trains Fitz as an assassin, who knows this and to whom is Fitz sworn in service?
4. What does the king tell Fitz about a woman in a neighboring town in Chapter 5 and what does Fitz do about it?
5. What does Fitz find out when he returns from his mission for the king and how does he feel about it? Given Regal's attitude towards her what do you think of her going riding with him?
6. Who confronts Fitz in Chapter 10 about Kettricken and why? Why do you think they want him to talk to Verity?
7. What are the two magics Fitz possesses and what does each magic do?
8. Why does Fitz go to see Molly after the Forged ones' funeral and what happens when he does?
9. What is the warning about both magics and how is Wit magic viewed?
10. How does Burrich criticize Fitz at the beginning of Chapter 5? What would you do if someone said that to you?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burrich tells Fitz to quit sulking and start acting like a man. He tells Fitz to comb his hair change his clothes and act like she might be watching him. Burrich also reminds him that part of being a man is to accept the daunting task given to you and to live up to it and then some.
1. Discuss why this advice might be applicable to a woman or a man.
2. Burrich telling Fitz to act like a man might be considered the same as telling someone in this society to grow up. Discuss the differences and similarities between the two ideas using examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
One of the common elements of fantasy is the presence of some sort of magic. Discuss the following:
1. What sort of cultural problems do you think the United States would have if it were suddenly discovered that 1% of its population possessed magical abilities similar to the Wit or the Skill?
3. Would you want to part of the 1% of the population that possesses magical abilities? Why or why not?
4. Do you think most people would use their magical abilities for good or evil? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Fitz cannot seem to resist Molly. One would think it was "true love" yet he is told he may not marry her.
1. How would you react if you were told at a very early age who you would marry? Would you be willing to obey your parents knowing that there is very little future for an unmarried woman.
2. Even though women have been controlled as far as marriage for centuries, some men are just as "stuck" with an unwanted marriage partner as a women--these are usually nobles who must marry to keep or raise the standing of their families. If you are a man and are told who you would marry and you found that person quite unacceptable, would you give up money and position to defy your parents?
3. Why do you think forced marriages are occurring less and less often even in countries where woman are still quite oppressed?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)