|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Molly tell Fitz about marriage?
2. What does Fitz find hard to believe about the Forged ones?
3. Who attacks Fitz on the way back from the cabin?
4. What does Molly say to Fitz when he runs into her in the palace hall?
5. Why is Verity looking and acting ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fitz do about the Forged ones and what occurs in his first encounter with them?
2. Why does Fitz feel strange after being in the smoke in the king's chamber?
3. What does the King tell Fitz about who he will marry? How do you think Fitz felt?
4. Why does Fitz go to see Molly after the Forged ones' funeral and what happens when he does?
5. How does Burrich criticize Fitz at the beginning of Chapter 5? What would you do if someone said that to you?
6. What does Fitz find out when he returns from his mission for the king and how does he feel about it? Given Regal's attitude towards her what do you think of her going riding with him?
7. In Chapter 1, what does King Shrewd's vision show and what does Fitz think he sees?
8. How does Nighteyes save Fitz's life? Do you think this should change his mind about bonding?
9. What does Fitz ask Verity about Regal and how does Verity respond in Chapter 3?
10. What does Kettricken tell Fitz about her life in Chapter 5 and what does he say? How does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the common elements of fantasy is the presence of some sort of magic. Discuss the following:
1. What sort of cultural problems do you think the United States would have if it were suddenly discovered that 1% of its population possessed magical abilities similar to the Wit or the Skill?
3. Would you want to part of the 1% of the population that possesses magical abilities? Why or why not?
4. Do you think most people would use their magical abilities for good or evil? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
When Fitz returns to his room the Fool is still waiting. He tells Fitz where he comes from and then tells him that the reason he came to the kingdom is because of Fitz. The Fool knows the future and tells Fitz the Forged ones and those that create them will cover the land if Fitz' family falls. Fitz's family name is Farseer and the Fool tells Fitz the name was chosen for them because of Fitz. Fitz demands that the Fool leave and that he doesn't want to hear anymore.
1. Why do you the Fool acts the way he does if he is a prophet and can see the future? Use examples from the book and your own reasoning to support your opinion.
2. Why do you think Fitz doesn't want to hear about what the Fool sees as his role in history? Use examples from the book and your own reasoning to support your opinion.
3. In view of the fact that Fitz is basically a teenager at this time do you think his reaction to what the Fool said would be different if he was ten years older? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The reader will see that Fitz is caught between his own free will and the fact that he has sworn himself to his King.
1. Explain in detail what you think the above statement means?
2. Discuss why most people are caught between what they want and what they have to do to live in society.
3. Discuss at least three ways in which someone could balance commitments to others and commitment to self.
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)