|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Florinda is in love with which of the following characters?
2. Why isn't Phillippo jealous of Lucetta flirting with Blunt?
3. Why is the playwright speaking in the prologue as a man?
4. What kind of "mask" does Willmore show Angellica in their first meeting?
5. What lie does Willmore tell Hellena when she approaches from the shadows in the first scene of Act 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Hellena seem well suited to become a nun? Why or why not?
2. What reasons does the playwright give for people attending the play?
3. Why is Willmore's "mask" extremely precarious in Scenes 3 and 4 of Act 4?
4. How does Belvile try to persuade Antonio to spare him?
5. What is an "aside"?
6. Why does it seem that sometimes masks and disguises are necessary to the characters?
7. What theme of The Rover does Blunt's costume at the end of the play reinforce?
8. For what purposes is Hellena using the story of the unfaithful lover she tells Willmore and Angellica when she is disguised as a man in Act 4?
9. Why doesn't Florinda want to marry Don Antonio?
10. Why does Blunt hate all women in general?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the scenes in which Blunt is tricked by Lucetta function to lay the groundwork for his important role in the play's climax? What, specifically, does he do in the last scene of Act 4 that plays such a pivotal role?
Essay Topic 2
Give three examples of "double entendre" in The Rover. What purpose do they serve to the plot of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Aphra Behn used a male playwright in the Prologue. What point was she trying to make and was it effective? How would a woman saying the same things change the tone of the Prologue? How does this relate to the larger theme of people seeing what they want to see and the danger of making assumptions? Give specific examples from The Rover to support your answers.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)