|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of "mask" is Hellena showing to Willmore as she catches him coming out of Angellica's house?
2. What in particular do Belvile, Willmore, and the others find objectionable about Antonio?
3. Why does Florinda run off after being rescued from Willmore?
4. How does Hellena intend to get into the carnival?
5. In teasing his friend as they go to the carnival, Captain Belvile refers to Willmore as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give two examples of how the women are determined not to be taken advantage of by the men in the first act of The Rover.
2. What is Willmore's downfall when he encounters Antonio also waiting outside Angellica's?
3. Why is Pedro in such a bad mood in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. How does Belvile plan to give Florinda time to escape from Pedro's house?
5. What is the difference between an aside and a soliloquy?
6. Why does Florinda rush in and try to stop the duel between Pedro and Belvile?
7. What kind of book is Blunt reading as Florinda comes in and sees him in Belvile's house?
8. Why does Angellica persist in her attraction to Willmore despite Moretta's warnings about him?
9. What agreement did Valeria and Frederic have that they reveal to Florinda and Belvile in Act 5?
10. What does removing the mask of the hardened business woman reveal about Angellica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which one was the true Willmore and not just a mask he donned to get his way: Willmore the contemptuous womanizer or Willmore the honest husband? Please explain your answer with at least four specific examples from The Rover.
Essay Topic 2
The Rover shows the way society in general, and men in particular, viewed the female gender with mistrust, resentment, anger, lust, and the capacity for violence. In the dramatization of the way women were viewed as something to be dominated and controlled, how does the play progress to demonstrate this in a much more visceral, less polite and ultimately less comic way?
Compare and contrast this with how women are treated in modern society.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between a literal mask and an emotional or metaphorical mask? Give specific examples from The Rover.
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)