|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After stepping out of sight of the approaching Englishmen in the beginning of Act 3, what does Hellena overhear Willmore telling his friends?
2. How does Hellena intend to get into the carnival?
3. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, how does Belvile know that it is not possible for Willmore to approach Angellica yet?
4. What kind of "mask" does Willmore show Angellica in their first meeting?
5. Why do Lucetta, Sancho, and Phillippo feel safe from Blunt's retribution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme of The Rover does Blunt's costume at the end of the play reinforce?
2. What is a farce?
3. What kind of "mask" is Willmore showing to both Hellena and Angellica?
4. Why does Willmore believe Hellena disguised as a gypsy is a woman of quality?
5. What is meant by the idea that the audience sees what they want to see?
6. How does Belvile try to persuade Antonio to spare him?
7. What reasons does the playwright give for people attending the play?
8. What two views does Belvile have about destiny in Act 4, Scene 1?
9. How has Willmore ruined Angellica?
10. Is Willmore being truthful with Angellica at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Frederic agree that Blunt is justified in attacking Florinda? Why does he then hesitate after he determines Florinda might be a virtuous woman? How does this illustrate one of the core themes of The Rover in regard to how women were treated? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the one character of the play who wears no mask, literal or metaphorical? How does this provide a defining contrast to the other characters in The Rover? Discuss the contrast between this character's honesty versus the varied emotions being displayed by Willmore and Angellica. What purpose does this character serve to the subtext of The Rover? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
An aspect to the play's thematic point is that sometimes there are masks within masks, and the removal of one layer of disguise doesn't mean there aren't more beneath it. In a cohesive page or two, describe the first "mask" Willmore shows to Angellica. When he throws this first mask aside, what does he reveal underneath? Who do you think is the "real" Willmore? Are there any other characters with multiple-layered masks?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)