|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was unusual about the author of this play?
2. What comment does Pedro make as his servant tells him that Florinda is safe after the attack in the garden?
3. The Rover is considered to be what kind of play?
4. What do the Englishmen decide to do to pass the time and bolster their spirits after all the women depart from the street in front of Angellica's?
5. What does Blunt tell Lucetta as he prepares to get into bed with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant that The Rover was written by a woman?
2. What is an "aside"?
3. Why does Florinda rush in and try to stop the duel between Pedro and Belvile?
4. Why does Angellica persist in her attraction to Willmore despite Moretta's warnings about him?
5. What is Willmore's downfall when he encounters Antonio also waiting outside Angellica's?
6. Why does Willmore believe Hellena disguised as a gypsy is a woman of quality?
7. What is Willmore finally showing about himself as he comes upon Florinda by herself in the garden?
8. What is the overall tone of the scenes in Act 3 with Ned Blunt?
9. Does Moretta wear any kind of a mask?
10. Is Willmore being truthful with Angellica at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pedro can easily see through Antonio's mask as they both vie for Angellica's attention. Why can't Pedro see through the disguises of Florinda and Hellena? What about the sisters or Pedro makes it easier for him to be deceived? What greater thematic point of The Rover does this illustrate?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference between the way men treated high-born women like Florinda and low-born women, prostitutes in particular? Give two specific examples to back up your point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Frederic agree that Blunt is justified in attacking Florinda? Why does he then hesitate after he determines Florinda might be a virtuous woman? How does this illustrate one of the core themes of The Rover in regard to how women were treated? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)