|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does Willmore tell Hellena when she approaches from the shadows in the first scene of Act 3?
2. Which suitor does Florinda's brother Pedro hope she will marry?
3. Why is Willmore angry as he enters the garden and sees Florinda waiting for Belvile?
4. Florinda can't stand which of her possible suitors?
5. What does Angellica reveal in an aside to the audience as Willmore attempts to seduce her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Blunt hate all women in general?
2. How does Willmore feel about women in general?
3. Why isn't Phillippo jealous of all the attention Lucetta is paying to Blunt?
4. What agreement did Valeria and Frederic have that they reveal to Florinda and Belvile in Act 5?
5. Does Moretta wear any kind of a mask?
6. Why was it so easy for Lucetta to trick Blunt?
7. What does the Epilogue say about the audience?
8. What reasons does the playwright give for people attending the play?
9. Why is it important to the plot of The Rover that Florinda, Hellena and Valeria are still wearing their gypsy disguises as they meet Belvile, Wilmore, and Frederic on the street?
10. What are the merits of Don Antonio as a husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aphra Behn used a male playwright in the Prologue. What point was she trying to make and was it effective? How would a woman saying the same things change the tone of the Prologue? How does this relate to the larger theme of people seeing what they want to see and the danger of making assumptions? Give specific examples from The Rover to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
An aspect to the play's thematic point is that sometimes there are masks within masks, and the removal of one layer of disguise doesn't mean there aren't more beneath it. In a cohesive page or two, describe the first "mask" Willmore shows to Angellica. When he throws this first mask aside, what does he reveal underneath? Who do you think is the "real" Willmore? Are there any other characters with multiple-layered masks?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationships of Willmore and Angellica and Willmore and Hellena. What elements are similar and what are different? Also, compare Willmore's relationships with that of Belvile and Florinda. What makes these relationships different?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)