Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frederic flirting with out on the street in front of Angellica's home?
2. Why does Angellica think Willmore is dishonorable?
3. What is the typical role of a woman at the time the play was written?
4. In Angellica's bedchamber, what kind of "mask" is she showing Willmore?
5. Which of the following is NOT an example of foreshadowing in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between an aside and a soliloquy?
2. For what purposes is Hellena using the story of the unfaithful lover she tells Willmore and Angellica when she is disguised as a man in Act 4?
3. How does the bawdy conversation between Valeria, Hellena, and Florinda at the beginning of Act 3 parallel some of the men's conversations in earlier scenes?
4. What does Pedro demand to know of "Antonio" after he lays his sword at Florinda's feet?
5. The Rover is considered to be what type of play?
6. What is ironic about what happened between Blunt and Lucetta?
7. How does Florinda feel about the way Pedro treats her and why?
8. What core theme of The Rover is becoming clear as Antonio mistakes his prisoner Belvile for Willmore?
9. What does Willmore tell Angellica when she asks him to promise not to marry another woman?
10. As Florinda waits in the garden for Belvile, what is she finally showing about herself without any masks?
Essay Topic 1
Aphra Behn used a male playwright in the Prologue. What point was she trying to make and was it effective? How would a woman saying the same things change the tone of the Prologue? How does this relate to the larger theme of people seeing what they want to see and the danger of making assumptions? Give specific examples from The Rover to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the one character of the play who wears no mask, literal or metaphorical? How does this provide a defining contrast to the other characters in The Rover? Discuss the contrast between this character's honesty versus the varied emotions being displayed by Willmore and Angellica. What purpose does this character serve to the subtext of The Rover? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between a literal mask and an emotional or metaphorical mask? Give specific examples from The Rover.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)