|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves Florinda from Willmore when he is attacking her in Act 3, Scene 5?
2. What does Blunt notice about Lucetta's home as he is led through it by Sancho in the second scene of Act 3?
3. What lie does Willmore tell Hellena when she approaches from the shadows in the first scene of Act 3?
4. What is the typical role of a woman at the time the play was written?
5. Who does Hellena flirt with as they approach the carnival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Angellica want to get revenge on Willmore?
2. What is meant by the idea that the audience sees what they want to see?
3. Give two examples of how men show their disregard for women in the first act of The Rover.
4. What core theme of The Rover is becoming clear as Antonio mistakes his prisoner Belvile for Willmore?
5. How has Willmore ruined Angellica?
6. How does Florinda feel about the way Pedro treats her and why?
7. What is a striking difference between how Pedro expects Hellena and Florinda to behave and how they actually act?
8. Why was it so easy for Lucetta to trick Blunt?
9. What is the reason, other than the carnival, that Frederic and Blunt have come to town?
10. How does the bawdy conversation between Valeria, Hellena, and Florinda at the beginning of Act 3 parallel some of the men's conversations in earlier scenes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a farce? Give specific examples of how it was used in The Rover. How did these scenes differ in tone from other scenes in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the one character of the play who wears no mask, literal or metaphorical? How does this provide a defining contrast to the other characters in The Rover? Discuss the contrast between this character's honesty versus the varied emotions being displayed by Willmore and Angellica. What purpose does this character serve to the subtext of The Rover? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of a tyrant? What larger context is Florinda referring to when she calls Pedro a tyrant in Act 4, Scene 2? Despite his love for her, does Belvile treat Florinda as an equal? Is his regard for her any better than her brothers? Give specific examples to support your answers.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)