|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willmore promise to give Angellica in the second act of The Rover?
2. Why does Willmore offer to join forces and finances with the other merchants of the town?
3. What does Angellica overhear Willmore telling Hellena as she comes onto the scene with her servant?
4. Who is Ned Blunt infatuated with?
5. What does Hellena make Willmore promise after she catches him coming out of Angellica's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What agreement did Valeria and Frederic have that they reveal to Florinda and Belvile in Act 5?
2. What is the overall tone of the scenes in Act 3 with Ned Blunt?
3. What does the Epilogue say about the audience?
4. Why does it seem that sometimes masks and disguises are necessary to the characters?
5. What happens when Belvile tries to help the wounded Antonio?
6. What happens when Blunt shows Belvile the ring his victim offered as proof of her innocence?
7. Why is it important to the plot of The Rover that Florinda, Hellena and Valeria are still wearing their gypsy disguises as they meet Belvile, Wilmore, and Frederic on the street?
8. How does Belvile respond when Antonio asks why he attacked him outside of Angellica's?
9. Give two examples of how the women are determined not to be taken advantage of by the men in the first act of The Rover.
10. As Florinda waits in the garden for Belvile, what is she finally showing about herself without any masks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationships of Willmore and Angellica and Willmore and Hellena. What elements are similar and what are different? Also, compare Willmore's relationships with that of Belvile and Florinda. What makes these relationships different?
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of a tyrant? What larger context is Florinda referring to when she calls Pedro a tyrant in Act 4, Scene 2? Despite his love for her, does Belvile treat Florinda as an equal? Is his regard for her any better than her brothers? Give specific examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the one character of the play who wears no mask, literal or metaphorical? How does this provide a defining contrast to the other characters in The Rover? Discuss the contrast between this character's honesty versus the varied emotions being displayed by Willmore and Angellica. What purpose does this character serve to the subtext of The Rover? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)