|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blunt tell Lucetta as he prepares to get into bed with her?
2. What does Florinda bring with her to the garden?
3. What kind of costumes are Hellena and Florinda wearing to the carnival?
4. Why doesn't the playwright want to say anything to welcome the audience?
5. What do the Englishmen decide to do to pass the time and bolster their spirits after all the women depart from the street in front of Angellica's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Pedro's last comment in Act 3, Scene 5?
2. What happens when Willmore tries to make a joke to Belvile about his attack on Florinda?
3. What is the difference between an aside and a soliloquy?
4. Why doesn't Angellica let Antonio kill Willmore in Act 5, Part 2?
5. How does Florinda walk past Pedro on the street without him recognizing her?
6. What kind of "mask" is Willmore showing to both Hellena and Angellica?
7. What are the merits of Don Antonio as a husband?
8. Why isn't Phillippo jealous of all the attention Lucetta is paying to Blunt?
9. Does Moretta wear any kind of a mask?
10. What reasons does the playwright give for people attending the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the scenes in which Blunt is tricked by Lucetta function to lay the groundwork for his important role in the play's climax? What, specifically, does he do in the last scene of Act 4 that plays such a pivotal role?
Essay Topic 2
What is a farce? Give specific examples of how it was used in The Rover. How did these scenes differ in tone from other scenes in the play?
Essay Topic 3
What might have Aphra Behn considered a virtuous woman versus a prostitute or courtesan? Using characters and situations from The Rover, discuss what could be meant by the term "virtuous woman." What makes someone virtuous? Does station in life make one more virtuous than another?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)