Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frederic flirting with out on the street in front of Angellica's home?
2. Why does Angellica think Willmore is dishonorable?
3. What is the typical role of a woman at the time the play was written?
4. In Angellica's bedchamber, what kind of "mask" is she showing Willmore?
5. Which of the following is NOT an example of foreshadowing in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between an aside and a soliloquy?
2. For what purposes is Hellena using the story of the unfaithful lover she tells Willmore and Angellica when she is disguised as a man in Act 4?
3. How does the bawdy conversation between Valeria, Hellena, and Florinda at the beginning of Act 3 parallel some of the men's conversations in earlier scenes?
4. What does Pedro demand to know of "Antonio" after he lays his sword at Florinda's feet?
5. The Rover is considered to be what type of play?
6. What is ironic about what happened between Blunt and Lucetta?
7. How does Florinda feel about the way Pedro treats her and why?
8. What core theme of The Rover is becoming clear as Antonio mistakes his prisoner Belvile for Willmore?
9. What does Willmore tell Angellica when she asks him to promise not to marry another woman?
10. As Florinda waits in the garden for Belvile, what is she finally showing about herself without any masks?
Essay Topic 1
The Rovers central premise is women can and should be in control of their own destinies.
1. Choose two female characters and describe how they took control of their own destiny.
2. Contrast these women with a female character who did not seem to be in control of what happened to her.
Essay Topic 2
What is a farce? Give specific examples of how it was used in The Rover. How did these scenes differ in tone from other scenes in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationships of Willmore and Angellica and Willmore and Hellena. What elements are similar and what are different? Also, compare Willmore's relationships with that of Belvile and Florinda. What makes these relationships different?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)