|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of the characters behave according to what standard?
2. Where do Florinda and Belvile make arrangements to meet when they see each other at the carnival?
3. What does Florinda do to test Belvile's love for her as they are standing around with Frederica and Valeria?
4. What comment does Pedro make as his servant tells him that Florinda is safe after the attack in the garden?
5. Who does Hellena flirt with as they approach the carnival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Angellica persist in her attraction to Willmore despite Moretta's warnings about him?
2. Does Moretta wear any kind of a mask?
3. How does Belvile plan to give Florinda time to escape from Pedro's house?
4. What is the difference between an aside and a soliloquy?
5. Why was it so easy for Lucetta to trick Blunt?
6. Why is Pedro in such a bad mood in Act 3, Scene 1?
7. As Florinda waits in the garden for Belvile, what is she finally showing about herself without any masks?
8. Why does it seem that sometimes masks and disguises are necessary to the characters?
9. Does Hellena seem well suited to become a nun? Why or why not?
10. How has Willmore ruined Angellica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1What might have Aphra Behn considered a virtuous woman versus a prostitute or courtesan? Using characters and situations from The Rover, discuss what could be meant by the term "virtuous woman." What makes someone virtuous? Does station in life make one more virtuous than another?
Essay Topic 2Who is the one character of the play who wears no mask, literal or metaphorical? How does this provide a defining contrast to the other characters in The Rover? Discuss the contrast between this character's honesty versus the varied emotions being displayed by Willmore and Angellica. What purpose does this character serve to the subtext of The Rover? Fully explain your answer, giving specific examples.
Essay Topic 3Compare and contrast the relationships of Willmore and Angellica and Willmore and Hellena. What elements are similar and what are different? Also, compare Willmore's relationships with that of Belvile and Florinda. What makes these relationships different?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)