|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of "mask" is Hellena showing to Willmore as she catches him coming out of Angellica's house?
(a) Hellena puts on a mask of hatred as she pretends not to be falling for him.
(b) Hellena puts on a mask of indifference as she pretends not to be falling for him.
(c) Hellena puts on a mask of a true lover as she pretends to be falling for him.
(d) Hellena puts on a mask of a nun as she pretends to be falling for him.
2. Why doesn't the playwright want to say anything to welcome the audience?
(a) He says the audience didn't pay to get in.
(b) He says it doesn't matter.
(c) He says they should all go home.
(d) He says the play is bad.
3. Why is Willmore angry as he enters the garden and sees Florinda waiting for Belvile?
(a) He is angry with Belvile and Frederic for leaving him alone.
(b) He is angry with Belvile and Frederic for letting him drink too much.
(c) He is angry with Belvile and Blunt for leaving him alone.
(d) He is angry with Hellena and Belvile for leaving him alone.
4. What is the typical role of a woman at the time the play was written?
(a) To be seen and not heard.
(b) To travel in singing troupes.
(c) To run the local government only.
(d) To sell their bodies.
5. What was unusual about the author of this play?
(a) The author grew orchids as a hobby.
(b) The author was a 90 year old man.
(c) The author was a woman.
(d) The author was only 11 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Frederic and Ned Blunt teasing Captain Belvile about in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is the general attitude of men toward women in the scene at the beginning of the carnival?
3. What thought consoles Blunt after his bad experience with Lucetta?
4. What does Florinda tell Belvile before she leaves the garden?
5. How do the men of the family treat Hellena and Florinda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two views does Belvile have about destiny in Act 4, Scene 1?
2. What is ironic about what happened between Blunt and Lucetta?
3. The Rover is considered to be what type of play?
4. What reasons does the playwright give for people attending the play?
5. What is Willmore finally showing about himself as he comes upon Florinda by herself in the garden?
6. What is ironic about Pedro's last comment in Act 3, Scene 5?
7. What theme of The Rover does Blunt's costume at the end of the play reinforce?
8. What is a striking difference between how Pedro expects Hellena and Florinda to behave and how they actually act?
9. Why was it so easy for Lucetta to trick Blunt?
10. What core theme of The Rover is becoming clear as Antonio mistakes his prisoner Belvile for Willmore?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)