|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Florinda intend to do at the carnival?
(a) Dance all night.
(b) Run away.
(c) Give a note to Captain Belvile.
(d) Kiss her future husband.
2. What do the Englishmen decide to do to pass the time and bolster their spirits after all the women depart from the street in front of Angellica's?
(a) Go sailing.
(b) Go to the carnival.
(c) Go pick a fight.
(d) Go drinking.
3. What kind of "mask" is Hellena showing to Willmore as she catches him coming out of Angellica's house?
(a) Hellena puts on a mask of indifference as she pretends not to be falling for him.
(b) Hellena puts on a mask of hatred as she pretends not to be falling for him.
(c) Hellena puts on a mask of a nun as she pretends to be falling for him.
(d) Hellena puts on a mask of a true lover as she pretends to be falling for him.
4. Florinda can't stand which of her possible suitors?
(a) Captain Belvile.
(b) Don Vincentio.
(c) Ned Blunt.
(d) Don Antonio.
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Willmore tells Florinda before he realizes who she is in the garden?
(a) That he is looking for a girl to marry.
(b) How attractive she is.
(c) That it doesn't matter that he doesn't know her name.
(d) How honest he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the important symbol that appears as the characters head to the carnival?
2. What does Blunt try to take from Angellica's after the Englishmen chase off Antonio and his men?
3. What kind of "mask" does Willmore show Angellica in their first meeting?
4. What does Florinda think of falling in love at first sight?
5. According to the playwright, the audience comes to see The Rover for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a soliloquy?
2. What two views does Belvile have about destiny in Act 4, Scene 1?
3. What is Angellica "masking" as she meets Willmore for the first time?
4. Why does Blunt hate all women in general?
5. What is the overall tone of the scenes in Act 3 with Ned Blunt?
6. Give two examples of how men show their disregard for women in the first act of The Rover.
7. What is a farce?
8. Does Moretta wear any kind of a mask?
9. What is the difference between an aside and a soliloquy?
10. What reasons does the playwright give for people attending the play?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)