|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the playwright want to say anything to welcome the audience?
(a) He says the audience didn't pay to get in.
(b) He says the play is bad.
(c) He says it doesn't matter.
(d) He says they should all go home.
2. Which of the following is NOT an example of foreshadowing in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Frederic's comment that he hopes Luceta will teach Blunt a lesson.
(b) Belvile's calling Willmore the rover.
(c) Blunt's comment about being robbed by prostitutes.
(d) Pedro's comment that Florinda will find true love.
3. What does Frederic tell Willmore is very dangerous as he goes into Angellica's house for the first time?
(a) To be with an angry courtesan.
(b) To anger Blunt.
(c) To pay a courtesan money.
(d) To anger Antonio.
4. What little thing do Willmore and Antonio duel over in Act 2?
(a) A small locket of Florinda's.
(b) A small picture of Angellica.
(d) A small picture of Hellena.
5. The Rover contrasts what two things?
(a) What the characters say versus how they actually feel.
(b) How the characters act versus others' acting ability.
(c) Good versus evil.
(d) The Montagues and the Capulets
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angellica overhear Willmore telling Hellena as she comes onto the scene with her servant?
2. As he agrees to the duel, who does Don Antonio believe that the disguised Pedro really is?
3. Why can't Willmore believe Angellica is being sincere in her offer to be with him without payment?
4. What state is Willmore in when he sees Florinda waiting for Belvile in the garden?
5. Who is Florinda waiting for in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give two examples of how men show their disregard for women in the first act of The Rover.
2. For what purposes is Hellena using the story of the unfaithful lover she tells Willmore and Angellica when she is disguised as a man in Act 4?
3. Why doesn't Angellica let Antonio kill Willmore in Act 5, Part 2?
4. What kind of book is Blunt reading as Florinda comes in and sees him in Belvile's house?
5. What does Florinda call Pedro as he repeatedly thwarts her efforts to marry Belvile?
6. Why does Willmore believe Hellena disguised as a gypsy is a woman of quality?
7. Why is Willmore's "mask" extremely precarious in Scenes 3 and 4 of Act 4?
8. What is meant by the idea that the audience sees what they want to see?
9. What happens when Belvile tries to help the wounded Antonio?
10. What reasons does the playwright give for people attending the play?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)