|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Florinda run off after being rescued from Willmore?
(a) Florinda is frightened.
(b) Florinda sees Pedro coming.
(c) Florinda goes to get help.
(d) Florinda sees Hellena coming.
2. What does Blunt try to take from Angellica's after the Englishmen chase off Antonio and his men?
(a) Angellica's jewels.
(b) The large picture of Angellica.
(c) Angellica's money.
(d) The small picture of Angellica.
3. What is the important symbol that appears as the characters head to the carnival?
(a) The rover.
(b) The mask.
(c) The secret note.
(d) The rose.
4. Willmore tells Angellica that he disapproves of what as he banters with her in Act 2?
5. What was unusual about the author of this play?
(a) The author was a 90 year old man.
(b) The author was only 11 years old.
(c) The author was a woman.
(d) The author grew orchids as a hobby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blunt tell Lucetta as he prepares to get into bed with her?
2. Why doesn' t Pedro know who the Englishmen were he fought off with his sword after the attack on Florinda?
3. Why does Pedro challenge Don Antonio to a duel outside of Angellica's?
4. Why is the playwright speaking in the prologue as a man?
5. What does Florinda tell Belvile before she leaves the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Belvile tries to help the wounded Antonio?
2. What reasons does the playwright give for people attending the play?
3. What is Angellica "masking" as she meets Willmore for the first time?
4. How does Florinda feel about the way Pedro treats her and why?
5. What does Pedro demand to know of "Antonio" after he lays his sword at Florinda's feet?
6. What does removing the mask of the hardened business woman reveal about Angellica?
7. How does Belvile plan to give Florinda time to escape from Pedro's house?
8. Why is Pedro in such a bad mood in Act 3, Scene 1?
9. How does the bawdy conversation between Valeria, Hellena, and Florinda at the beginning of Act 3 parallel some of the men's conversations in earlier scenes?
10. Why is Willmore's "mask" extremely precarious in Scenes 3 and 4 of Act 4?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)