|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Florinda run off after being rescued from Willmore?
(a) Florinda is frightened.
(b) Florinda sees Pedro coming.
(c) Florinda sees Hellena coming.
(d) Florinda goes to get help.
2. How do the men of the family treat Hellena and Florinda?
(a) Like precious princesses.
(b) Like commodities to be owned and sold.
(c) Like spoiled brats.
(d) Like slaves.
3. What little thing do Willmore and Antonio duel over in Act 2?
(b) A small picture of Hellena.
(c) A small picture of Angellica.
(d) A small locket of Florinda's.
4. Why does Behn choose to have a male playwright to speak in the Prologue?
(a) To make a point about the costumes of male characters.
(b) Behn is a man.
(c) To make a point about the role of woman in society.
(d) Behn is poking fun at woman.
5. What does Frederic tell Willmore is very dangerous as he goes into Angellica's house for the first time?
(a) To pay a courtesan money.
(b) To be with an angry courtesan.
(c) To anger Antonio.
(d) To anger Blunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves Florinda from Willmore when he is attacking her in Act 3, Scene 5?
2. What does Florinda tell Belvile before she leaves the garden?
3. What does Hellena decide to do to Willmore to make him pay for his attention of another woman?
4. As Blunt walks away from the carnival to follow Lucetta, what do his friends comment about him?
5. What do Belvile and Frederic do as the action escalates in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does the playwright give for people attending the play?
2. Give two examples of how the women are determined not to be taken advantage of by the men in the first act of The Rover.
3. Why is Willmore's "mask" extremely precarious in Scenes 3 and 4 of Act 4?
4. What agreement did Valeria and Frederic have that they reveal to Florinda and Belvile in Act 5?
5. For what purposes is Hellena using the story of the unfaithful lover she tells Willmore and Angellica when she is disguised as a man in Act 4?
6. Why does Angellica want to get revenge on Willmore?
7. What does Pedro demand to know of "Antonio" after he lays his sword at Florinda's feet?
8. How does the bawdy conversation between Valeria, Hellena, and Florinda at the beginning of Act 3 parallel some of the men's conversations in earlier scenes?
9. How does Florinda feel about the way Pedro treats her and why?
10. Why doesn't Angellica let Antonio kill Willmore in Act 5, Part 2?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)