|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Willmore urges Angellica to be governed by her love not ___________.
2. Who is Frederic flirting with out on the street in front of Angellica's home?
(a) Frederic is flirting with Valeria.
(b) Frederic is flirting with Florinda.
(c) Frederic is flirting with Hellena.
(d) Frederic is flirting with Lucetta.
3. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, how does Belvile know that it is not possible for Willmore to approach Angellica yet?
(a) The painting advertising her availability hasn't yet been hung outside.
(b) The gate is closed.
(c) The open sign hasn't yet been hung outside.
(d) There is a red flag hanging on her door.
4. Why is Willmore angry as he enters the garden and sees Florinda waiting for Belvile?
(a) He is angry with Hellena and Belvile for leaving him alone.
(b) He is angry with Belvile and Frederic for letting him drink too much.
(c) He is angry with Belvile and Blunt for leaving him alone.
(d) He is angry with Belvile and Frederic for leaving him alone.
5. What are Frederic and Ned Blunt teasing Captain Belvile about in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) How his uniform does not fit well.
(b) How he was banished from England
(c) How he is in love with Florinda.
(d) How he is in love with Hellena.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thought consoles Blunt after his bad experience with Lucetta?
2. What are the women's attitudes toward the men in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Why does Pedro challenge Don Antonio to a duel outside of Angellica's?
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Willmore tells Florinda before he realizes who she is in the garden?
5. Who is Angellica's servant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant by the idea that the audience sees what they want to see?
2. How does Florinda walk past Pedro on the street without him recognizing her?
3. Why does Angellica want to get revenge on Willmore?
4. What is ironic about what happened between Blunt and Lucetta?
5. Why does Willmore believe Hellena disguised as a gypsy is a woman of quality?
6. What does Florinda call Pedro as he repeatedly thwarts her efforts to marry Belvile?
7. What is Willmore's downfall when he encounters Antonio also waiting outside Angellica's?
8. What is the overall tone of the scenes in Act 3 with Ned Blunt?
9. Why is Willmore's "mask" extremely precarious in Scenes 3 and 4 of Act 4?
10. What is Willmore finally showing about himself as he comes upon Florinda by herself in the garden?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)