|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was unusual about the author of this play?
(a) The author was a woman.
(b) The author was a 90 year old man.
(c) The author was only 11 years old.
(d) The author grew orchids as a hobby.
2. Why does Pedro challenge Don Antonio to a duel outside of Angellica's?
(a) Over money Antonio owes him.
(b) To avenge for his father's death.
(c) To avenge Hellena's honor.
(d) Over who gets Angellica first.
3. Willmore tells Angellica that he disapproves of what as he banters with her in Act 2?
4. As the play opens, who is about to go to a convent?
5. How does Pedro react when he sees Willmore, Belvile, and Frederic in his garden?
(a) He runs after Florinda.
(b) He punches Willmore in the face.
(c) He calls his guards to attack the men.
(d) He draws his sword and fights Willmore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Florinda waiting for in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 5?
2. What are Frederic and Ned Blunt teasing Captain Belvile about in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Who does Hellena flirt with as they approach the carnival?
4. In Angellica's bedchamber, what kind of "mask" is she showing Willmore?
5. What does Florinda intend to do at the carnival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant that The Rover was written by a woman?
2. What does Florinda call Pedro as he repeatedly thwarts her efforts to marry Belvile?
3. What is the overall tone of the scenes in Act 3 with Ned Blunt?
4. What is a striking difference between how Pedro expects Hellena and Florinda to behave and how they actually act?
5. What is ironic about Pedro's last comment in Act 3, Scene 5?
6. How does the bawdy conversation between Valeria, Hellena, and Florinda at the beginning of Act 3 parallel some of the men's conversations in earlier scenes?
7. Why isn't Phillippo jealous of all the attention Lucetta is paying to Blunt?
8. Does Hellena seem well suited to become a nun? Why or why not?
9. Why is Pedro in such a bad mood in Act 3, Scene 1?
10. What is Angellica "masking" as she meets Willmore for the first time?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)