|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following characters is NOT interested in marrying Florinda?
(a) Don Antonio.
(b) Don Vicentio.
(c) Captain Belvile.
(d) Ned Blunt.
2. Why does Behn choose to have a male playwright to speak in the Prologue?
(a) Behn is poking fun at woman.
(b) Behn is a man.
(c) To make a point about the costumes of male characters.
(d) To make a point about the role of woman in society.
3. What in particular do Belvile, Willmore, and the others find objectionable about Antonio?
(a) His generosity.
(b) His lack of cooperation.
(c) His stinginess.
(d) His bad temper.
4. In Angellica's bedchamber, what kind of "mask" is she showing Willmore?
(a) The mask of a lover.
(b) The mask of a flirting maiden.
(c) The mask of a warrior.
(d) The mask of a hard-hearted business woman.
5. How do the men of the family treat Hellena and Florinda?
(a) Like precious princesses.
(b) Like commodities to be owned and sold.
(c) Like spoiled brats.
(d) Like slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Florinda run off after being rescued from Willmore?
2. What lie does Willmore tell Hellena when she approaches from the shadows in the first scene of Act 3?
3. The three couples in The Rover will struggle in what way?
4. Who saves Florinda from Willmore when he is attacking her in Act 3, Scene 5?
5. What kind of costumes are Hellena and Florinda wearing to the carnival?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the bawdy conversation between Valeria, Hellena, and Florinda at the beginning of Act 3 parallel some of the men's conversations in earlier scenes?
2. What does Florinda call Pedro as he repeatedly thwarts her efforts to marry Belvile?
3. What is ironic about what happened between Blunt and Lucetta?
4. What does Pedro demand to know of "Antonio" after he lays his sword at Florinda's feet?
5. What is Angellica "masking" as she meets Willmore for the first time?
6. Why does Willmore believe Hellena disguised as a gypsy is a woman of quality?
7. What does the Epilogue say about the audience?
8. Does Hellena seem well suited to become a nun? Why or why not?
9. Why is Pedro in such a bad mood in Act 3, Scene 1?
10. Why doesn't Angellica let Antonio kill Willmore in Act 5, Part 2?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)