|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Florinda run off after being rescued from Willmore?
(a) Florinda sees Pedro coming.
(b) Florinda goes to get help.
(c) Florinda is frightened.
(d) Florinda sees Hellena coming.
2. What kind of "mask" is Hellena showing to Willmore as she catches him coming out of Angellica's house?
(a) Hellena puts on a mask of a true lover as she pretends to be falling for him.
(b) Hellena puts on a mask of hatred as she pretends not to be falling for him.
(c) Hellena puts on a mask of indifference as she pretends not to be falling for him.
(d) Hellena puts on a mask of a nun as she pretends to be falling for him.
3. The three couples in The Rover will struggle in what way?
(a) To move to America.
(b) To live well beyond their means.
(c) To live the way they want instead of what society wants.
(d) To have children.
4. Who saves Florinda from Willmore when he is attacking her in Act 3, Scene 5?
(a) Blunt and Frederic appear and pull him off her.
(b) Pedro and Antonio appear and pull him off her.
(c) Belvile and Frederic appear and pull him off her.
(d) Belvile and Phillippo appear and pull him off her.
5. Willmore tells Angellica that he disapproves of what as he banters with her in Act 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Pedro leaves the first scene, what does he tell the maid Callis to do?
2. What happens to Blunt after he gets into bed with Lucetta?
3. What is a "double entendre"?
4. What kind of costumes are Hellena and Florinda wearing to the carnival?
5. Why can't Willmore believe Angellica is being sincere in her offer to be with him without payment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a striking difference between how Pedro expects Hellena and Florinda to behave and how they actually act?
2. What is Angellica "masking" as she meets Willmore for the first time?
3. Why does Angellica persist in her attraction to Willmore despite Moretta's warnings about him?
4. What is meant by the idea that the audience sees what they want to see?
5. The Rover is considered to be what type of play?
6. Why does Blunt hate all women in general?
7. What is the problem with Belvile's desire to confront Antonio before he marries Florinda?
8. Why isn't Phillippo jealous of all the attention Lucetta is paying to Blunt?
9. Is Willmore being truthful with Angellica at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
10. What happens when Belvile tries to help the wounded Antonio?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)