|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state is Willmore in when he sees Florinda waiting for Belvile in the garden?
(a) Willmore comes in ready to fight Pedro for Florinda.
(b) Willmore comes in very drunk.
(c) Willmore comes in very distraught with an urgent message.
(d) Willmore comes in very heartbroken.
2. Why doesn' t Pedro know who the Englishmen were he fought off with his sword after the attack on Florinda?
(a) They were too drunk.
(b) They were wearing masks.
(c) They have never met.
(d) They ran away too quickly.
3. What does Blunt tell Lucetta as he prepares to get into bed with her?
(a) If Lucetta would consent, he would like to marry her.
(b) If Lucetta wouldn't mind, he likes the candle lit.
(c) If Lucetta's rich old husband were dead, he would marry her.
(d) If Lucetta young handsome husband were dead, he would marry her.
4. What effect does tricking Blunt have on Phillippo?
(a) He becomes angry and beats Lucetta.
(b) He become greedy and looks for other victims.
(c) He becomes aroused, and takes Angellica to bed.
(d) He becomes aroused, and takes Lucetta to bed.
5. Why is Willmore angry as he enters the garden and sees Florinda waiting for Belvile?
(a) He is angry with Belvile and Frederic for letting him drink too much.
(b) He is angry with Belvile and Frederic for leaving him alone.
(c) He is angry with Belvile and Blunt for leaving him alone.
(d) He is angry with Hellena and Belvile for leaving him alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angellica overhear Willmore telling Hellena as she comes onto the scene with her servant?
2. As they are flirting with each other out on the street, how does Florinda reveal her true identity to Belvile?
3. Even though she is angry with Willmore, what does Hellena realize about him as he tries to explain where he has been?
4. What does Florinda intend to do at the carnival?
5. Florinda is in love with which of the following characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the merits of Don Antonio as a husband?
2. Why is it significant that The Rover was written by a woman?
3. How has Willmore ruined Angellica?
4. Why is Pedro in such a bad mood in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. What is a soliloquy?
6. Give two examples of how men show their disregard for women in the first act of The Rover.
7. What reasons does the playwright give for people attending the play?
8. How does the bawdy conversation between Valeria, Hellena, and Florinda at the beginning of Act 3 parallel some of the men's conversations in earlier scenes?
9. What is a farce?
10. What does Willmore tell Angellica when she asks him to promise not to marry another woman?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)