|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is NOT found in the Great American Desert?
2. How long is the train of Mormons that the stagecoach passes before the Rocky Mountains?
3. What are the followers supposed to bring back after they survey the east area?
4. How much equipment is loaded into the wagon that the narrator and his friends take to the mountains for mining?
5. Where do the horses go after being scared away by the party's attempt to start a fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the myth of the Pony Express Riders?
2. Why does the story of Hank Monk and Horace Greeley irritate the narrator so much?
3. What warning is the narrator and his party given as they approach the Honey Lake Smith's Inn, and what is their response?
4. How does the narrator discuss the Mormon religion?
5. How does the narrator begin his journey in Chapter I?
6. What are the details of the court case between Hyde and Morgan, and what is the outcome?
7. What is the story of Bemis and the buffalo, and how do the other passengers respond to it?
8. What is the writing style of Mark Twain that is established in the Prefatory?
9. What is Roughing It about, according to the author?
10. What is the economy of Salt Lake City like, and how long do the travelers stay there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the historical significance of Roughing It by explaining the value and uniqueness of the first hand account being provided. In your analysis, answer the following questions: What are the most significant events that the narrator witnesses? How is the process of silver mining described? What are the "flush times" and how do they affect the narrator and other people living in the West? What other changes have a big impact on Western life? In what way does the media contribute to the actions of the narrator and other would be miners? How does the information in the book support Twain's intentions of writing it as stated in the Prefatory?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the contrast between Carson City and Lake Tahoe. What are the narrator's experiences in both places? Why does he choose to spend time in Lake Tahoe, and what are some of the ways it provides what the city cannot? How does Twain's description of Lake Tahoe illustrate his writing talent? Which events in both Lake Tahoe and Carson City display the main theme of the narrator's trip, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mark Twain's objectives of writing Roughing It. Use the information in the Prefatory to explain his reasons for chronicling his adventures and the style he intends to use in the book. Then, provide examples that display how Twain accomplishes his objectives on multiple levels.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)