|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Blakely threaten the jury at Nookes' trial?
(a) To shoot the jurors if they do not find Nookes innocent.
(b) To arrest the jurors if they do not find Nookes innocent.
(c) To shoot the jurors if they do not find Nookes guilty.
(d) To arrest the jurors if they do not find Nookes guilty.
2. What is the Wide West?
(a) A term used to describe the unsettled Nevada country.
(b) A newspaper column.
(c) A novel.
(d) A mining company.
3. Where does Higbie go on the same day that the narrator leaves to take care of Capt. John Nye?
(a) To visit a relative.
(b) To chase Mr. Whiteman.
(c) To look for more mines.
(d) To sell their claim.
4. How is the Whiteman Cement Mine described?
5. Why does the narrator resign as chief editor of the newspaper so quickly?
(a) He has an argument with another writer.
(b) He cannot produce enough content.
(c) The pay is not enough for him to live on.
(d) He receives a better offer from a different paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only living thing in Mono Lake?
2. As the narrator returns home at the end of the book, how long did his trip last?
3. How is Jack Williams killed?
4. How long does the narrator stay with Capt. John Nye to help him through his spasmodic rheumatism?
5. According to the information in Chapter LXIII, how many people live in Honolulu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Whiteman Cement Mine and why is it considered to be elusive?
2. How does the narrator begin working for the Enterprise in Virginia?
3. What is the new career choice the narrator makes towards the end of the book, and how does it begin?
4. What difficulties does the narrator have in finding stories to write?
5. What is the City of Refuge?
6. How does the narrator describe Hawaii and what initial setback does he encounter there?
7. How does Nevada change during the flush times, and what are nabobs?
8. What is the process of mining silver and shipping it to California in 1865?
9. What is on the islands in the center of Mono Lake?
10. How does the narrator describe Mono Lake?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)