|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator begin touring for his lectures?
(a) The Midwest.
(b) The West Coast.
(c) The East Coast.
(d) The Southwest.
2. What is the rich ledge called that Mr. Higbie discovers in the beginning of Chapter XL?
(a) A blind spot.
(b) A blind claim.
(c) A blind mine.
(d) A blind lead.
3. What is the only living thing in Mono Lake?
4. How is Nookes thrown overboard from Blakely's boat?
(a) With his ankles tied.
(b) With his face beaten.
(c) With his arm broken.
(d) With his hands tied.
5. According to the legend, how long ago was the Whiteman Cement Mine discovered?
(a) Ten years ago.
(b) Twelve years ago.
(c) Twenty-five years ago.
(d) Fifteen years ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What salary does the narrator start off with while working at the newspaper?
2. Although his work is never published in the paper, what does the narrator write specifically for The Occidental?
3. Where is the narrator giving a lecture when he encounters the highway bandits?
4. Why does the narrator resign as chief editor of the newspaper so quickly?
5. How long is the trip that the narrator sets out to take in the beginning of the book supposed to last?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the process of mining silver and shipping it to California in 1865?
2. Who is Higbie, and why is he valuable for the narrator's search of Mr. Whiteman?
3. What difficulties does the narrator have in finding stories to write?
4. How does the narrator describe the trip from Hawaii to San Francisco and what is his situation once he arrives there?
5. What is on the islands in the center of Mono Lake?
6. Why is the narrator's work never published in The Weekly Occidental?
7. How does the narrator begin working for the Enterprise in Virginia?
8. Why is finding a good horse a difficult task in Hawaii?
9. What is the new career choice the narrator makes towards the end of the book, and how does it begin?
10. What is the Whiteman Cement Mine and why is it considered to be elusive?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)