|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What species feed around Mono Lake?
2. How much money does the narrator borrow from the bank in Chapter LV?
(a) Sixty-seven dollars.
(b) Sixty-four dollars.
(c) Seventy-six dollars.
(d) Forty-six dollars.
3. What bites the narrator during his stay in Honolulu?
(a) An alligator.
(b) A spider.
(c) A scorpion.
(d) A snake.
4. How does the narrator describe his trip back to San Francisco?
(a) Like an extended Sunday.
(b) Like an extended Monday.
(c) Like an extended Wednesday.
(d) Like an extended Saturday.
5. What two places does the narrator visit while in Honolulu?
(a) Sand Island and the King Pineapple Grove.
(b) Diamond Head and the King Coconut Grove.
(c) Diamond Head and the King Pineapple Grove.
(d) Sand Island and the King Coconut Grove.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is the narrator in when he waits in line to see a woman while mining?
2. As the narrator returns home at the end of the book, how long did his trip last?
3. What is the rich ledge called that Mr. Higbie discovers in the beginning of Chapter XL?
4. How does the narrator find himself when he reaches San Francisco in Chapter LXXVIII?
5. What is the only living thing in Mono Lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the trip from Hawaii to San Francisco and what is his situation once he arrives there?
2. What is the rivalry between Captain Ned Blakely and Bill Nookes?
3. How does the narrator describe Hawaii and what initial setback does he encounter there?
4. What is pocket mining and the result of the narrator's attempt at it?
5. How does the narrator begin working for the Enterprise in Virginia?
6. What are the two different reasons that both the narrator and Higbie abandon their blind lead claim, and what is the result?
7. What is the process of mining silver and shipping it to California in 1865?
8. Why is finding a good horse a difficult task in Hawaii?
9. What lifestyle does the narrator have in the first few months of his stay in San Francisco, and how does it change dramatically?
10. What causes the narrator to travel to San Francisco?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)