|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator rent to give his first public lectures?
(a) The town square.
(b) A saloon.
(c) The city building.
(d) An opera house.
2. Although his work is never published in the paper, what does the narrator write specifically for The Occidental?
(a) A short fictional story.
(b) A poem.
(c) A review.
(d) A short non-fictional story.
3. As the narrator returns home at the end of the book, how long did his trip last?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Ten months.
(d) Seven years.
4. What newspaper does the narrator become the editor for after his mining career does not pan out?
(a) The Review.
(b) The Enterprise.
(c) The Standard.
(d) The Times.
5. What bites the narrator during his stay in Honolulu?
(a) A snake.
(b) An alligator.
(c) A spider.
(d) A scorpion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state does a friend suggest the narrator travel to and sell Nevada mining property?
2. Where does Higbie go on the same day that the narrator leaves to take care of Capt. John Nye?
3. What is a Kanaka?
4. What title does Jack Williams hold at one time?
5. How does the narrator feel before giving the first lectures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the new career choice the narrator makes towards the end of the book, and how does it begin?
2. What happens when the narrator encounters a band of highway bandits after a lecture?
3. What is on the islands in the center of Mono Lake?
4. Who is Higbie, and why is he valuable for the narrator's search of Mr. Whiteman?
5. What is the City of Refuge?
6. What is the Whiteman Cement Mine and why is it considered to be elusive?
7. What is pocket mining and the result of the narrator's attempt at it?
8. How does the narrator begin working for the Enterprise in Virginia?
9. What is the process of mining silver and shipping it to California in 1865?
10. Who is Jack Williams and what does his story depict about Nevada in the late 1800s?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)