|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the driver to lose the road one night?
(a) A rainstorm.
(b) A tornado.
(c) A hurricane.
(d) A patch of mud.
2. Where does the narrator's mining crew decide to visit after they stop digging their tunnels?
(c) Twin Falls.
(d) Clark Lateral.
3. What gift does Capt. John Nye have?
(a) Superior social interaction.
(b) Superior sense of humor.
(c) Superior intellect.
(d) Superior logic.
4. How long is the narrator's mining crew forced to stay at Honey Lake Smith's Inn?
(a) Eight days.
(b) Fourteen days.
(c) Twelve days.
(d) Ten days.
5. After their stay at the Honey Lake Smith's Inn, what river do the narrator and his friends attempt to cross?
(a) The Carson River.
(b) East Walker River.
(c) Thousand Springs Creek.
(d) Salmon Falls Creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the snow-covered mountains especially impressive to the narrator?
2. How is the coyote described in the story?
3. How long does it take the narrator to pack his bags to accompany his brother on the trip?
4. According to the driver, what lake do the Mormons gather saleratus from?
5. What do the glittering rocks that the narrator originally collects turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the narrator and his crew respond to the prospect of freezing to death?
2. As stated in the Prefatory, what is Twain's intention in writing Roughing It?
3. What are the details of the court case between Hyde and Morgan, and what is the outcome?
4. How is the breakfast that the narrator is served in Nebraska described, and what future traveling accommodations does he compare his situation to?
5. How does the narrator discuss the Mormon religion?
6. What is the myth of the Pony Express Riders?
7. How do the members of the narrator's mining party get lost in Chapter XXXII, and what happens with their attempts to start a fire?
8. Why does the story of Hank Monk and Horace Greeley irritate the narrator so much?
9. How does Slade die and what point does the narrator make about it?
10. How does the narrator describe the coyotes he sees?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)