|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator get to sign the requests for money to the government in order to help his brother?
(b) Local lawmakers.
(d) Stagecoach drivers.
2. How many feet of dirt is Hyde's ranch buried underneath?
3. What causes the driver to lose the road one night?
(a) A hurricane.
(b) A patch of mud.
(c) A tornado.
(d) A rainstorm.
4. How long does the narrator's crew rest in Carson City before heading back to Esmeralda?
(a) One week.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two days.
(d) Four days.
5. What are the followers supposed to bring back after they survey the east area?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which area is rumored to be rich with silver?
2. During their second unsuccessful attempt at starting a fire, how many matches does the party burn?
3. What does the narrator ask his superior to raise his salary to after the first week of working in the mill?
4. How many days has the coach been traveling when it reaches Carson City?
5. How do the miners claim the ledge on the side of the mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the weather like in Unionville and what does the narrator find there?
2. How does the narrator help his brother in writing to the government for money?
3. Why does the story of Hank Monk and Horace Greeley irritate the narrator so much?
4. What causes the narrator to marvel at the sight of the Rocky Mountains?
5. What is the story of Bemis and the buffalo, and how do the other passengers respond to it?
6. How do the members of the narrator's mining party get lost in Chapter XXXII, and what happens with their attempts to start a fire?
7. How long is the Prefatory in Roughing It, and what is its purpose?
8. What is the experience the narrator has in buying a horse in Carson City?
9. As stated in the Prefatory, what is Twain's intention in writing Roughing It?
10. How does the narrator begin his journey in Chapter I?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)