|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What eventually happens to Jules?
(a) He is killed by Slade.
(b) He is killed by Indians.
(c) He disappears and is never heard from again.
(d) He is run over by a stagecoach.
2. What does Slade reportedly do while he is being hung?
(c) Stays silent.
(d) Offers a bribe.
3. How many soldiers do the travelers encounter at Fort Bridger?
(b) One hundred and seventy.
(c) One hundred and sixty.
4. What causes the driver to lose the road one night?
(a) A patch of mud.
(b) A tornado.
(c) A rainstorm.
(d) A hurricane.
5. When does the book take place?
(a) The late 1850s.
(b) The early 1850s.
(c) The late 1860s.
(d) The early 1860s.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the narrator to pack his bags to accompany his brother on the trip?
2. How many novels had Mark Twain written before Roughing It?
3. Where does the narrator's mining crew decide to visit after they stop digging their tunnels?
4. What type of mill does the narrator end up working for after he is left with no money?
5. How many miles do the narrator and his friends travel across the desert over a fifteen day period in search of silver?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author build up the anticipation for the book in the Prefatory?
2. What is the Great American Desert like, and what is interesting about Carson Lake?
3. How does Slade die and what point does the narrator make about it?
4. What is the myth of the Pony Express Riders?
5. How does the narrator live past the cold night, and what is ironic about the crew's actions afterward?
6. How does the narrator discuss the Mormon religion?
7. Why does the story of Hank Monk and Horace Greeley irritate the narrator so much?
8. What is the writing style of Mark Twain that is established in the Prefatory?
9. What are the details of the court case between Hyde and Morgan, and what is the outcome?
10. How does the narrator describe the Goshoot Indians?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)