|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator find on the islands of Mono Lake?
(a) One abandoned mine on each island.
(b) Two pine trees on each island.
(c) Two abandoned mines on each island.
(d) One pine tree on each island.
2. What happens to the cities that once flourished during the Gold Rush?
(a) They disappear completely.
(b) Half of them are still there.
(c) Most of them are still there.
(d) Less than half of them are still there.
3. How does Nookes die?
(a) He dies in jail.
(b) He is burned.
(c) He dies from an illness.
(d) He is hung.
4. How does the narrator describe his trip back to San Francisco?
(a) Like an extended Saturday.
(b) Like an extended Wednesday.
(c) Like an extended Monday.
(d) Like an extended Sunday.
5. Why did one of the Germans give their map to Mr. Whiteman?
(a) He had heard of Mr. Whiteman's reputation.
(b) He owed Mr. Whiteman money.
(c) He trusted Mr. Whiteman.
(d) He was losing his mind.
6. Where does Boggs trick the narrator into waiting for him in hopes of getting a story?
(a) In a stage station.
(b) In a desert.
(c) In an abandoned warehouse.
(d) In a mine shaft.
7. As the narrator returns home at the end of the book, how long did his trip last?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Seven months.
(d) Ten months.
8. Why does the narrator resign as chief editor of the newspaper so quickly?
(a) He receives a better offer from a different paper.
(b) The pay is not enough for him to live on.
(c) He cannot produce enough content.
(d) He has an argument with another writer.
9. How long does the narrator stay with Capt. John Nye to help him through his spasmodic rheumatism?
(a) Eleven days.
(b) Fourteen days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Nine days.
10. How is the silver ore melted before it is shipped to California?
(a) In liquid form.
(b) In bars.
(c) In coins.
(d) In bricks.
11. What does the narrator do after his lectures become a success?
(a) He gives an interview to the newspaper.
(b) He hires an agent.
(c) He begins writing his lectures out to be published in the newspaper.
(d) He hires a co-writer.
12. How long is the trip that the narrator sets out to take in the beginning of the book supposed to last?
(a) Eight months.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three months.
(d) Eight years.
13. What salary does the narrator start off with while working at the newspaper?
(a) Fifteen dollars per week.
(b) Forty-five dollars per week.
(c) Twenty-five dollars per week.
(d) Thirty-five dollars per week.
14. Whose funeral does the narrator witness while visiting Honolulu?
(a) Princess Victoria.
(b) Princess Alexandra.
(c) Princess Augusta.
(d) Princess Margaret.
15. What is the total amount of time that the narrator stays in Hawaii?
(a) Six months.
(b) Ten months.
(c) Four months.
(d) Eight months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the preacher, Erickson, originally from?
2. What is the primary content of the Whiteman Cement Mine?
3. According to the narrator, what is one of the hottest places in the world?
4. How long is the narrator the chief editor of the newspaper before resigning?
5. When does the narrator's party leave for Mono Lake?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)