|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the preacher, Erickson, originally from?
2. What title does Jack Williams hold at one time?
(c) Town Sheriff.
(d) Deputy Marshal.
3. What state does a friend suggest the narrator travel to and sell Nevada mining property?
(c) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
4. How many miles does the narrator travel to the islands of Mono Lake?
5. How long is the narrator the chief editor of the newspaper before resigning?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two days.
(c) One week.
(d) One day.
6. How much money does the narrator borrow from the bank in Chapter LV?
(a) Sixty-four dollars.
(b) Sixty-seven dollars.
(c) Seventy-six dollars.
(d) Forty-six dollars.
7. What causes the mining stocks to fall quickly?
(a) Nevada gets a new Secretary of State.
(b) Nevada becomes another state of the Union.
(c) Nevada attempts to secede from the Union.
(d) Nevada gets a new Governor.
8. Where did the Germans go after finding the Whiteman Cement Mine?
9. What mountain does the narrator see as he is leaving for California?
(a) Mt. Maclure.
(b) Mt. Clark.
(c) Mt. Davidson.
(d) Mt. Linn.
10. What does the narrator rent to give his first public lectures?
(a) The city building.
(b) An opera house.
(c) The town square.
(d) A saloon.
11. What is the weather like when the narrator encounters the highway bandits after a lecture?
(a) It is mild.
(b) It is hot.
(c) It is cold.
(d) It is raining.
12. How many Chinese people live in Virgina at the time of the book?
(a) Four thousand.
(b) Three thousand.
(c) One thousand.
(d) Two thousand.
13. What does the narrator find on the islands of Mono Lake?
(a) One abandoned mine on each island.
(b) Two pine trees on each island.
(c) One pine tree on each island.
(d) Two abandoned mines on each island.
14. What does the narrator do after his lectures become a success?
(a) He begins writing his lectures out to be published in the newspaper.
(b) He hires a co-writer.
(c) He gives an interview to the newspaper.
(d) He hires an agent.
15. What is a Kanaka?
(a) A native fruit.
(b) A native canoe.
(c) A native hut.
(d) A native game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What newspaper does the narrator become the editor for after his mining career does not pan out?
2. What salary does the narrator start off with while working at the newspaper?
3. Where is the monument for Captain Cook located?
4. What city is the narrator in when he waits in line to see a woman while mining?
5. How long does the narrator stay with Capt. John Nye to help him through his spasmodic rheumatism?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)