|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mountain does the narrator see as he is leaving for California?
(a) Mt. Clark.
(b) Mt. Davidson.
(c) Mt. Maclure.
(d) Mt. Linn.
2. What bites the narrator during his stay in Honolulu?
(a) A scorpion.
(b) An alligator.
(c) A snake.
(d) A spider.
3. What title does Jack Williams hold at one time?
(b) Town Sheriff.
(d) Deputy Marshal.
4. Where is the monument for Captain Cook located?
(a) Mokuakae Bay.
(b) Kealakekua Bay.
(c) Kapilo Bay.
(d) Alika Bay.
5. According to the information in Chapter LXIII, how many people live in Honolulu?
(a) Thirty thousand.
(b) Twelve thousand.
(c) Twenty-two thousand.
(d) Twenty thousand.
6. How far away from Honolulu is the big island of Hawaii?
(a) Two hundred and fifty miles.
(b) Three hundred miles.
(c) Two hundred miles.
(d) One hundred and fifty miles.
7. What happens to the cities that once flourished during the Gold Rush?
(a) Most of them are still there.
(b) Half of them are still there.
(c) They disappear completely.
(d) Less than half of them are still there.
8. According to the narrator, what is one of the hottest places in the world?
(a) Antelope Valley.
(b) Lanfair Valley.
(c) Simi Valley.
(d) Sacramento Valley.
9. Where does Boggs trick the narrator into waiting for him in hopes of getting a story?
(a) In a mine shaft.
(b) In an abandoned warehouse.
(c) In a stage station.
(d) In a desert.
10. Where did the Germans go after finding the Whiteman Cement Mine?
11. What is the primary content of the Whiteman Cement Mine?
12. Where does Higbie go on the same day that the narrator leaves to take care of Capt. John Nye?
(a) To look for more mines.
(b) To visit a relative.
(c) To sell their claim.
(d) To chase Mr. Whiteman.
13. Whose funeral does the narrator witness while visiting Honolulu?
(a) Princess Margaret.
(b) Princess Alexandra.
(c) Princess Augusta.
(d) Princess Victoria.
14. How does the narrator get back to Esmeralda after taking care of Capt. John Nye?
(a) He walks.
(b) He rents a horse.
(c) He rides with a family on their wagon.
(d) He takes a stage coach.
15. How is the Whiteman Cement Mine described?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator feel before giving the first lectures?
2. How many Chinese people live in Virgina at the time of the book?
3. What is a Kanaka?
4. Where is the preacher, Erickson, originally from?
5. Although his work is never published in the paper, what does the narrator write specifically for The Occidental?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)