|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Whiteman Cement Mine described?
2. How long does San Francisco go without any rainfall?
(a) Five months.
(b) Eleven months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Eight months.
3. How long does it take the narrator to travel back to the West Coast from Hawaii?
(a) Several days.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few days.
(d) Several weeks.
4. Why is it difficult to find a good horse in Honolulu?
(a) All of the horses are owned.
(b) The horses are treated badly by the natives.
(c) There are hardly any horses on the island.
(d) The horses are too expensive to purchase from the natives.
5. How long is the narrator the chief editor of the newspaper before resigning?
(a) One day.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two weeks.
6. What is the total amount of time that the narrator stays in Hawaii?
(a) Ten months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Four months.
(d) Eight months.
7. What is the only living thing in Mono Lake?
8. How is the silver ore melted before it is shipped to California?
(a) In bars.
(b) In coins.
(c) In liquid form.
(d) In bricks.
9. Where does Boggs trick the narrator into waiting for him in hopes of getting a story?
(a) In a desert.
(b) In a mine shaft.
(c) In a stage station.
(d) In an abandoned warehouse.
10. Where does the narrator begin touring for his lectures?
(a) The East Coast.
(b) The Midwest.
(c) The West Coast.
(d) The Southwest.
11. How does Blakely threaten the jury at Nookes' trial?
(a) To shoot the jurors if they do not find Nookes innocent.
(b) To shoot the jurors if they do not find Nookes guilty.
(c) To arrest the jurors if they do not find Nookes innocent.
(d) To arrest the jurors if they do not find Nookes guilty.
12. How does Nookes die?
(a) He is hung.
(b) He is burned.
(c) He dies in jail.
(d) He dies from an illness.
13. Whose funeral does the narrator witness while visiting Honolulu?
(a) Princess Augusta.
(b) Princess Victoria.
(c) Princess Margaret.
(d) Princess Alexandra.
14. How does the narrator describe his trip back to San Francisco?
(a) Like an extended Saturday.
(b) Like an extended Monday.
(c) Like an extended Wednesday.
(d) Like an extended Sunday.
15. Where is the narrator giving a lecture when he encounters the highway bandits?
(b) San Diego.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do before he leaves to visit Capt. John Nye?
2. While the narrator is in Virginia, how is a person's reputation determined?
3. After the narrator loses his job as a reporter, how long does he avoid everyone he knows?
4. How many wandering German brothers discovered the Whiteman Cement Mine?
5. What does the narrator examine for an hour in a mine in order to write an article?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)