|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much will the narrator's brother be paid for his new job?
(a) Eight hundred dollars per year.
(b) Eighteen hundred dollars per month.
(c) Eight hundred dollars per month.
(d) Eighteen hundred dollars per year.
2. What idea does the mining party abandon the digging of their mine for?
(a) Using hired men to dig for them.
(b) Using dynamite.
(c) Selling the claimed ledges.
(d) Trading the claimed ledges.
3. How many people has Slade killed, as mentioned in the book?
4. What is the Washoe Zephyr?
(a) A dense, dusty wind that blows for twelve hours straight.
(b) A dense, dusty wind that blows for fifteen hours straight.
(c) A transparent, dusty wind that blows for twelve hours straight.
(d) A transparent, dusty wind that blows for fifteen hours straight.
5. What are the Goshoot Indians hurting, according to the narrator?
(a) The underestimated reputation of Indians.
(b) The romantic reputation of Indians.
(c) The reliable reputation of Indians.
(d) The exaggerated reputation of Indians.
6. Where do the horses go after being scared away by the party's attempt to start a fire?
(a) A nearby forest.
(b) A stage station.
(c) A cave.
(d) A nearby barn.
7. What is the result of the first fight between Slade and Jules?
(a) Slade is wounded.
(b) Neither is wounded.
(c) They are both wounded.
(d) Jules is wonded.
8. What causes the driver to lose the road one night?
(a) A hurricane.
(b) A tornado.
(c) A rainstorm.
(d) A patch of mud.
9. After their stay at the Honey Lake Smith's Inn, what river do the narrator and his friends attempt to cross?
(a) Salmon Falls Creek.
(b) The Carson River.
(c) East Walker River.
(d) Thousand Springs Creek.
10. How often are the horses switched that are pulling the mail coach on the way to Carson City?
(a) Every fifteen miles.
(b) Every five miles.
(c) Every ten miles.
(d) Every twenty miles.
11. During their second unsuccessful attempt at starting a fire, how many matches does the party burn?
12. What does the narrator's party shoot at to start a fire?
(a) A pile of leaves.
(b) A pile of loose branches.
(c) A pile of sage bush.
(d) A pile of dirt.
13. What is Hawaii called in the book?
(a) The Cookie Islands.
(b) The Pineapple Islands.
(c) The Leftover Islands.
(d) The Sandwich Islands.
14. When does the coach begin to move across the Great American Desert?
(a) On the nineteenth day of the trip.
(b) On the eighteenth day of the trip.
(c) On the twenty-first day of the trip.
(d) On the twenty-second day of the trip.
15. Who does the narrator get to sign the requests for money to the government in order to help his brother?
(a) Local lawmakers.
(d) Stagecoach drivers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspects of nature will be discussed in Roughing It?
2. What do the assayers do?
3. What is it about English that Twain is studying?
4. Where is the mining business taking place during the time the book was written?
5. How much do the seats aboard the mail coach heading towards Carson City cost for the narrator and his brother?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)