|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Capt. John Nye help the narrator's party find?
(a) Food for their horses, but not shelter.
(b) Food and shelter for the men, but not for their horses.
(c) Food and shelter for their horses.
(d) Shelter for their horses, but not food.
2. After their stay at the Honey Lake Smith's Inn, what river do the narrator and his friends attempt to cross?
(a) Thousand Springs Creek.
(b) Salmon Falls Creek.
(c) The Carson River.
(d) East Walker River.
3. Where is the mining business taking place during the time the book was written?
(a) The Northern States.
(b) The Eastern States.
(c) The Western States.
(d) The Southern States.
4. According to the narrator, how are the profits of the mining industry in Nevada glorified?
(a) By the local drunks.
(b) By flyers posted around town.
(c) By the Governor's followers.
(d) By the media.
5. What does the referee decide in the court case between Hyde and Morgan?
(a) That both men are wrong.
(b) That Morgan is right.
(c) That Hyde is right.
(d) That both men are right.
6. What state in particular is the backdrop for the mining adventures described in the story?
7. How many soldiers do the travelers encounter at Fort Bridger?
(b) One hundred and sixty.
(c) One hundred and seventy.
8. Where does the author start out on his journey?
(a) St. Louis.
(b) Kansas City.
(c) San Diego.
(d) San Francisco.
9. How much will the narrator's brother be paid for his new job?
(a) Eight hundred dollars per year.
(b) Eighteen hundred dollars per year.
(c) Eight hundred dollars per month.
(d) Eighteen hundred dollars per month.
10. How many followers of the Governor does Mrs. O'Flannigan's ranch host?
11. What does the narrator's party shoot at to start a fire?
(a) A pile of sage bush.
(b) A pile of dirt.
(c) A pile of loose branches.
(d) A pile of leaves.
12. How many miles of mail service does the owner of the Division Superintendent oversee?
(a) Two hundred and fifty.
(b) Three hundred and fifty.
(c) Four hundred and fifty.
(d) One hundred and fifty.
13. How many miles from Salt Lake City does Chapter XIX begin?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Two hundred and fifty.
(c) One hundred and fifty.
(d) One hundred.
14. How many people has Slade killed, as mentioned in the book?
15. What do the assayers do?
(a) Evaluate the working conditions of the mines.
(b) Evaluate the content of the rocks being mined.
(c) Negotiate the type of payment for the rocks being mined.
(d) Negotiate the salaries of the workers in the mines.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the narrator to pack his bags to accompany his brother on the trip?
2. How many miles away from St. Joseph have the narrator and his brother traveled by the end of Chapter IX?
3. What is Unionville built around?
4. What is it about the economy and people that the author is concentrating on?
5. What type of mines does the author encounter in the book?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)