|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the narrator's mining crew forced to stay at Honey Lake Smith's Inn?
(a) Fourteen days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Twelve days.
2. Where does the author start out on his journey?
(a) Kansas City.
(b) St. Louis.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) San Diego.
3. Where was Slade born?
4. How are the names given to the accumulated claims described?
5. How many novels had Mark Twain written before Roughing It?
6. What are the followers supposed to bring back after they survey the east area?
7. During their second unsuccessful attempt at starting a fire, how many matches does the party burn?
8. As they are having breakfast, what does Slade offer the narrator?
(a) The first cup of coffee.
(b) The first two eggs.
(c) The last two eggs.
(d) The last cup of coffee.
9. How many people live in Carson City?
(a) Twelve thousand.
(b) Three throusand.
(c) Ten thousand.
(d) Two thousand.
10. After their stay at the Honey Lake Smith's Inn, what river do the narrator and his friends attempt to cross?
(a) Thousand Springs Creek.
(b) East Walker River.
(c) The Carson River.
(d) Salmon Falls Creek.
11. What prevents the author from attaining his goal?
(b) The economy.
12. What is Hawaii called in the book?
(a) The Leftover Islands.
(b) The Sandwich Islands.
(c) The Cookie Islands.
(d) The Pineapple Islands.
13. What is the tone of the book?
14. What does Capt. John Nye help the narrator's party find?
(a) Food and shelter for the men, but not for their horses.
(b) Shelter for their horses, but not food.
(c) Food for their horses, but not shelter.
(d) Food and shelter for their horses.
15. How many pounds of luggage are the passengers allowed on the mail coach?
(a) Twenty-five pounds.
(b) Forty-five pounds.
(c) Fifty-five pounds.
(d) Thirty-five pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the first fight between Slade and Jules?
2. How many feet of dirt is Hyde's ranch buried underneath?
3. How do the other travelers react to Bemis' story about the buffalo that chased him?
4. Who warns the narrator's crew about the rising rivers?
5. What type of mines does the author encounter in the book?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)