|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What eventually happens to Jules?
(a) He is killed by Indians.
(b) He is killed by Slade.
(c) He is run over by a stagecoach.
(d) He disappears and is never heard from again.
2. How long does it take the narrator to pack his bags to accompany his brother on the trip?
(a) More than two hours.
(b) Less than an hour.
(c) More than an hour.
(d) Less than thirty minutes.
3. How long does the narrator's crew rest in Carson City before heading back to Esmeralda?
(a) Two days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One week.
4. What are the Goshoot Indians hurting, according to the narrator?
(a) The reliable reputation of Indians.
(b) The underestimated reputation of Indians.
(c) The exaggerated reputation of Indians.
(d) The romantic reputation of Indians.
5. What moves Morgan's house on top of Hyde's ranch?
(a) An avalanche.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A tornado.
(d) A landslide.
6. How many feet of dirt is Hyde's ranch buried underneath?
7. As they are having breakfast, what does Slade offer the narrator?
(a) The last two eggs.
(b) The first two eggs.
(c) The last cup of coffee.
(d) The first cup of coffee.
8. How does the desert wanderer react when he is prevented from telling the same story about Hank Monk?
(a) He begins telling jokes.
(b) He dies.
(c) He jumps off the stagecoach.
(d) He falls asleep.
9. How many miles from Salt Lake City does Chapter XIX begin?
(a) One hundred and fifty.
(b) Two hundred and fifty.
(c) One hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
10. What prevents the author from attaining his goal?
(b) The economy.
11. According to the driver, what lake do the Mormons gather saleratus from?
(a) Soda Lake.
(b) Gray Rocks Reservoir.
(c) Burlington Lake.
(d) La Prele Reservoir.
12. As the narrator recounts, who is the stage carrying that the Goshoot Indians once attacked?
(a) A senator.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A judge.
(d) A mayor.
13. How often are the horses switched that are pulling the mail coach on the way to Carson City?
(a) Every twenty miles.
(b) Every fifteen miles.
(c) Every ten miles.
(d) Every five miles.
14. How does Twain describe the book in the Prefatory?
(a) Simple and pretentious.
(b) Complex and pretentious.
(c) Simple and unpretentious.
(d) Complex and unpretentious.
15. What kind of weapon does the narrator carry?
(a) A small 5-shot gun.
(b) A large 7-shot gun.
(c) A large 5-shot gun.
(d) A small 7-shot gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the referee decide in the court case between Hyde and Morgan?
2. During their second unsuccessful attempt at starting a fire, how many matches does the party burn?
3. How many followers of the Governor does Mrs. O'Flannigan's ranch host?
4. How many soldiers do the travelers encounter at Fort Bridger?
5. Where is the mining business taking place during the time the book was written?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)